R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to masterbeavis Send a message via Yahoo to masterbeavis
Default Keep, fix, sell, light on fire, run over with the car, Mugen MBX4 XR works?

I bought it second hand 5+ years ago, but damn it was an awesome car!! RB S7 powered. It took a beating like no other rig, ran circles around everything, jumped the furthest and highest, and was just awesome! Wait, did I say that already? Anyways, I tore it down for a through inspection to get it fixed up, made me a list, and all I can say is WOW!(again) It needs a dozen things to make it like new again, (typical wear items) but the pricing is astronomical to say the least. I stopped counting at $200. That included checking ebay, and googling for the best deals... So, am I better off just selling this one off for a couple hundred and investing in something else, or just suck it up and fix this one?

How good is/was this buggy in relation to other offerings of yesteryear, and what is currently available? This thing has taken a horrendous beating, the only thing I have broken on it is nothing, just ruined a clutch bell when the motor shifted from a 20' high seemingly never ending cartwheel, and the suspension has alot of play (in the wrong ways) so it wanders alot. I like this thing, but is it worth it to fix, when something new will only be a couple hundred more new.

What I know is worn.

All axle shafts, CVs, cup joints, shock cap ends are elongated, front shocks need shafts, upper arm links, F+R tension arm ends, steering servo arms and a few other minor odds and ends.

To get by with a straighter driving rig, I could just do the front suspension/steering so it will drive straighter, but will still have worn parts that will eventually fail.... I do not race, my style is more backyard bashing.
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nah. Just clean it up and put it on the shelf and tell storys. Go to the LHS and see the one thats love at first sight and start anew. If there's no love, the fun factor starts to run low.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up Ahh...that car....

PM me if you want parts and replacements for your Mugen.
I may have what you are looking for.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think you would be surprised how much better the newer buggies are. I had the mxb4xr back in the day and even the step to the mbx5 was huge let alone all the changes since.

Do whatever you want with the other one and if you decide to light it on fire at least make a video for youtube
Old 02-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lets see 200.00 in parts divided by 5 years= 40 bucks a year in parts. I wish I had that ratio.
If it was me, I would repair the old one and treat myself to a new ride. I have a bad habit of not selling any of my rides. I have some that I will never drive again, I put them with the trophy(s) they won for me.
The RC8T looks like a great truggy and is the next on my list of things to purchase.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I have a near complete kit you could make yourself a fresh roller out of...

However, yeah, the new cars are lighter and generally easier to drive on rough tracks.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to masterbeavis Send a message via Yahoo to masterbeavis

I've been doing some research, it looks like I am going to be keeping her! Its been a tough as nails rig, so now I just suppose I am going to bend over and try to find some parts.

WTB: antique RC car parts... Hook a fool up
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote