Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Team Associated MGT 8.0 problem! >

Team Associated MGT 8.0 problem!

Team Associated MGT 8.0 problem!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Team Associated MGT 8.0 problem!

Well today I went and bought a RTR MGT 8.0....

Went behind the shop and was breaking it in, first 3 tanks went fine. Let the motor cool after the 3rd tank and came back and it wouldn't start after 15 minutes of messing with it we leaned it out just a little and it started up fine...

A few minutes after that it gets going and its like the brakes lock up...truck flipped over (wasn't going over 1/2 throttle) started looking at it and the trans gear won't spin at all.

I take back inside and one of the techs grabs a pair of channel locks and turns the gears like that....i know right?....

well it works fine for about 15 feet then it locks up totally and if you try to slide it 2 feet in either direction it locks up...

Took it apart and the gears in the trans are SCREWED!!! Those thick metal gears are almost toothless...

The whole reason I went with the MGT was because of the metal gears that I thought I'd never have a problem with...and they failed before I even got the motor broken in.

:::sigh::: thats my life
Old 02-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Legend

You most likely seared a transmission shaft pin and then after you tried to run it again it just did more damage ...

Make sure your slipper is not locked up. The slipper is your first defence in preventing transmission damage....

and

Its not your life , the transmission on a MGT is knowed to do this... (seared pins)
Old 02-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just don't see how i broke anything just letting the truck idle through 2 tanks and then driving at less then 1/4-1/2 throttle for 1/2 of the third
Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Legend

Its happens , Check the motion shafts inside the transmission for the sear pin. You just may find one ...
Old 02-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I raced MGT's for a long time look this is what you do call associated tech line ask for DON and he will probably tell you to take the tranny out which isnt hard then ship it to them they will fix it and send it back to you dont give up on it they are great trucks.