R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
So the S3 and N21B are the EXACT same engines with different cooling heads? For some reason, RBs just "looks" alot better to me. Something with their orange cooling heads compared to Nova's black/purple heads.
Nope not the exact same engines but they will perform almost identically. The piston and sleeve sets are almost identical. The carbs are the same also. The main differences between them is the crankshaft/bearings. On the latest edition nova(the limited one) It uses a larger crank and bearing set(I believe 14mm), than the RB. The RB has a smaller 13mm crank and I believe it has a turbo scoop in it, where the nova is not a turbo crank. The big difference between them is the crank diameter. And of coarse the new l2g head on the RB.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Novarossi's are some of the easiest tuning motors around. I learned most of my tuning on a nova and had no problems.
i am not bashing nova motors i am currently running a p5x modded love it but do run os carb in it nova 2001bf is tuning tmepered a little and front bearing will go out in 2 gallons or so which aint no biggie. love the nova oh yeah they are talking about go modded for for 210 on ebay you can get os vzb vspec for 220 and it is better than any motor mensioned on here
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Nope not the exact same engines but they will perform almost identically. The piston and sleeve sets are almost identical. The carbs are the same also. The main differences between them is the crankshaft/bearings. On the latest edition nova(the limited one) It uses a larger crank and bearing set(I believe 14mm), than the RB. The RB has a smaller 13mm crank and I believe it has a turbo scoop in it, where the nova is not a turbo crank. The big difference between them is the crank diameter. And of coarse the new l2g head on the RB.
Soo....For the extra $30 do you think the S3...or save up more and get the S5, over the Novak n21b? I will be using a jp3 pipe and running on a mid range track-thunder alley.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewn_beef View Post
i am not bashing nova motors i am currently running a p5x modded love it but do run os carb in it nova 2001bf is tuning tmepered a little and front bearing will go out in 2 gallons or so which aint no biggie. love the nova oh yeah they are talking about go modded for for 210 on ebay you can get os vzb vspec for 220 and it is better than any motor mensioned on here
The New version limited edition 21BF has a completely different carb on it than the previous versions. This carb is really easy to tune. As for the P5 the only reason I would see for it to be hard to tune is that it was modded incorrectly. I own and have owned 5 novarossi based engines and they have been some of the easiest tuning most consistant motors I have ever owned. They tune in easy, hold thier tune easy and don't react too much to weather changes. To me that is pretty easy.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
The New version limited edition 21BF has a completely different carb on it than the previous versions. This carb is really easy to tune. As for the P5 the only reason I would see for it to be hard to tune is that it was modded incorrectly. I own and have owned 5 novarossi based engines and they have been some of the easiest tuning most consistant motors I have ever owned. They tune in easy, hold thier tune easy and don't react too much to weather changes. To me that is pretty easy.
my novas have had wheather issues meaning tempature drop issues also with os carb i get longer run time for some reason and yes the motor is modded corectly with os carb i get 10 min. between pits with nova carb only could get 9 if took it easy last min.didnt know new 21 bf has new carb that will be better and another good thing is p5x piston and sleeve work in that motor when it is time for rebuild
jewn_beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Quote:
my novas have had wheather issues meaning tempature drop issues also with os carb i get longer run time for some reason and yes the motor is modded corectly with os carb i get 10 min. between pits with nova carb only could get 9 if took it easy last min.didnt know new 21 bf has new carb that will be better and another good thing is p5x piston and sleeve work in that motor when it is time for rebuild
Yeah It has a new carby. It actually uses a p5 carb. As for the nova vs the os carb, the only thing I could see that would increase runtimes, is insert size, other than that they should have run the same, when properly tuned that is.

And actually, No the P5 internals (p/s/r) will NOT work in the limited. The limited is a short stroke, where as the P5 is a long stroke engine. They are Not compatible.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #37
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

<$200? Definitely run a GO motor.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #38
Tech Initiate

Still looking around. What are opinions on the Jammin JPX engines? Thanks.
blackhawk444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #39
Tech Initiate

If I have the option between a used vspec, new n21b, and a ninja .21 which should I go for.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:51 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

Novarossi hands down
pwnzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #41
Tech Initiate

You would take the novi over a ninja?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #42
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
go and nova motor can be hard to tune check out a hobby people if there is one close to you they still have the sh .21 2008 pt off road motor on sale for 100 $ they are easy to tune 8 port fast and the sh 2060 tuned pipe is cheap so if you want cheap and fast it is the way to go for 160 you can get the ceramic piston version if they are on sale the motors will last if tuned right up to 8 gallons great for the price i think it has more pull then the nova 21 bf
If you have a hard time tuning Novarossi motors you should really try electric....I have NEVER had any problems with a novarossi motor or known anyone personally who had any tuning problems with a novarossi based motor..
Old 02-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #43
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk444 View Post
You would take the novi over a ninja?

Yes, remember Novarossi first, then everything else!!
Old 02-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #44
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk444 View Post
Hello. I recently purchased a D8 and am now looking for an engine.
Looks like you and I are in the same boat my friend. I just picked up a D8 (brand new factory sealed box) for $260 and I'm also scouting out a quality inexpensive mill to install...

It looks like it's down to the Novarossi N21B or Go-Tech 3 Port sport engine for me.

As far as pipes are concerned, I'm looking at the Dynamite 053 or 086 hard anodized variants. Out of those two pipes, which would be a good match for the Novarossi N21B or Go-Tech 3 Port sport engines?

I'm looking for a pretty linear powerband with some good grunt at the low end and midrange part of the powerband, as the track I'll be racing at is mostly a point and shoot type of track - not very highspeed or flowing at all.

Any help you give me would be greatly appreciated.

- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #45
Tech Initiate

I actually picked up a used Vspec and a dynamite 086 pipe for mine. Pretty cheap and it should run great. Personally I wouldn't go with the go (pun intended). Thanks.