Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales? >

Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

For those who are running electric or run with other E buggies, how are the brushless motors/esc's holding up to a season of dust, abuse etc? Are they lasting the entire year?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cannondale1974
For those who are running electric or run with other E buggies, how are the brushless motors/esc's holding up to a season of dust, abuse etc? Are they lasting the entire year?
With proper care, the electronics should last the entire season. The batteries can last a couple of years. The motors should too. You just have to oil the bearings and keep them clean like any other 1/8 scale.

The weak link has been the speed controls, but that problem seems to be solved given all the purpose built 1/8 ESCs on the market now. The Castle one is the only one that has really been truly tested rigorously though. All the others are late to the game. Everyone is waiting on the Tekin ESC in a week or too which looks like it will become the gold standard.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Russell, help me here a minute, but back about August in the 1/8th scale ele conversion thread wasn't there some posts by a top nitro driver at a big race running an exibition 1/8th ele and turning 2 seconds a lap faster with his nitro on the same track?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kings Kid
Russell, help me here a minute, but back about August in the 1/8th scale ele conversion thread wasn't there some posts by a top nitro driver at a big race running an exibition 1/8th ele and turning 2 seconds a lap faster with his nitro on the same track?
Nah, that is just your imagination. Electrics are always faster than nitros.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It is a new class, for those of you that don't remember the truggy class started out the same way. We all ran 1/8th buggy or Monster Truck. The monster truck guys were always looking to go faster. then some one put monster truck tires on a 1/8th buggy and a truck body on it. the so called truggy. Well the trugg y whooped up on all the real monster trucks. buth there were not enough to have their own class so they ran them together with monster trucks for a long time. then when the class grew big enough to split up the truggys and the monster trucks up they did. The e 1/8th and nitro 1/8th should run together until there is enough to split the class. I would run them together until there are enough e 1/8th to cover all the turn marshal spots at the track they are running.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Even regional full scale racing is combining different engine packages into one series to keep the car counts up. To keep the playing field as level as possible they give “breaks” usually in the form of weight or gearing. No reason why this can’t be done with 1/8th scale club races, until there is enough electrics to separate into their own class.

I don't know of too many tracks, especially in my area, that can afford to turn away racers.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

do 10th gas and electric run the same race... No. 8th scale should be no different. The power plants are completly different run times are different hardware requirements are different. Bottom line is NO.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Actually Frank, that is not quite true. If you read in the current rules or RC Pro Series you can and they do race electric with nitro gas truck. It runs fine. Each do have their own advantages and disadvantages but in the right hands, the better driver will always win.
Edumikated - Electrics are not always the fastest vehicle on the track. We are not drag racing. We are offroad racing. You have to stop, jump and turn your car as well. All things told, both are very close when they are in the right hands. We race them together all of the time and have no problems.

IMO if you come out of a corner behind a guy that is slower than you and you pull the trigger and cause a wreck then it is your fault. It is this way in all forms of racing. $500 engine vs. a RTR mill, electric vs. nitro.... this argument is moot. Being behind someone that is slower than you is no excuse to just blow them up or keep a class from growing.
You! My friend... are BLACK FLAGGED!

TEX
Old 02-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Holy Crap, Matt. You stirred it up.

So, what I've decided to do as the race director of the track where XLgraphicsprosuperawesomebodypainter races at is this...

On regular race days we'll have electrics and nitro 8th scales run together until, or unless there's enough to split the class. I imagine by the middle of this year and definately in 2010 we won't even have to worry about it.

In my opinion our regular race days are a time to prepare for the next Summer Series or RC Pro Series race and hang out with our friends and rivals and work on becoming better drivers.

For our Summer Series races that take place once a month, the electrics will be in its own class. Simple as that.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by FroBoy

So, what I've decided to do as the race director of the track where XLgraphicsprosuperawesomebodypainter races at is this...

On regular race days we'll have electrics and nitro 8th scales run together until, or unless there's enough to split the class. I imagine by the middle of this year and definately in 2010 we won't even have to worry about it.

In my opinion our regular race days are a time to prepare for the next Summer Series or RC Pro Series race and hang out with our friends and rivals and work on becoming better drivers.

For our Summer Series races that take place once a month, the electrics will be in its own class. Simple as that.
Good call, it worked in my area although there were some grumbles about it. It started with 2-3 electric 1/8 owners that would show up now and then to race, and they were put in with the nitros. By the end of the season there were enough electric 1/8 racers to separate them and have a good sized field for both classes. You need to allow some breathing room for a new class like this, because it will be popular very soon.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FroBoy

So, what I've decided to do as the race director of the track where XLgraphicsprosuperawesomebodypainter races at is this....
Yeah, maybe I did. But you can tell by peoples long winded posts, that they feel strongly about their position. I was curious about other peoples thoughts and was hoping to hear some good points for and against it. I think I got my answer, and what you decided to do is what I felt was the best as well.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

all i know is a electric car or truck cannot flame out , lean out , or when on its lid the fuel not go to the engine . but what do i know these are the same people probably telling me that a 6 cell stick pack has the same punch as a 2 cell lipo anyway no, electric should be electric and nitro should be nitro. it shouldnt even be a discussion, but then i am not who owns the track so its really up to them and what they want the rules to be
Old 03-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Let me just say that I've not read this whole thread so this may have already been covered. I've been a Electric racer since my first E-Maxx and then my first "conversion" LSP. I've been running LiPo's since the FMA 3200 scorpion packs designed for cars/trucks. I've also been hated by many a Nitro racer at my local tracks and I ran Nitro Truggy (with a real Nitro engine and all) for almost two seasons, so I have a very real feel for both sides.

What I don't understand about this argument is...

Why is it that it's totally OK to have an open truggy class where someone can run a budget .21 up against a guy running a ported and tweaked .28 and no one cares? As much as we all want to fool ourselves into believing that nitro is nitro, that isn't true. In racing money always buys advantages. If you want equality, race Slash Spec. If you run an Open class, it should be based on the chassis, not the powerplant.

Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. Oh, and the grass is always greener on the other side. Until Electric 1/8th develops a large enough following, at the club level keep the classes united.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

running electrics with the nitro classes will eventually kill that class !!! keep them separate or run them with 1/10 scale electrics, its the same scenario.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Addict

Ive ran electric for the last 2 years and am currently waiting for my first nitro kit. I would not like to build my first 1/8 scale buggy and have electrics running in the same class. If I want to run electric then I would do so in the proper class. Keep the classes unique is my thought. Why even have different classes if this happens ? just have one big race without rules, not !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.