Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales? >

Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by derek_18mt
How is it cheaing when ur just club racing for fun
So what your saying is as long as it's a "club race" rules don't apply..Run whatever you want to run because stupid rules don't apply to you..
Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SPEEDSKI
Thats Hilarious!! I will go to my electric track this weekend and demand to them I race my Nitro at their all electric events, i WOULD BE LAUGHED OUT OF THAT PLACE AFTER THEY HIT ME IN THE HEAD WITH A LIPO PACK!!!
We let nitro race in our electric 1/10 classes. There arent enough of them (1 or 2) to make a class of their own. If it was indoor, I could understand the electric track turning you away for ventilation reasons.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

electric 8th scale does have more straight line power, but as others have mentioned, this is essentially useless when it come to curves and turns. They dont have the balance that nitros have, which is a disadvantage, but if they do race with nitros they would have to do simulated pit stops. Which may cause problems because they might not agree on a set time for the pit stops, or they might try to completely bypass them. If it is going to be as big as the electric guys are sayiung it is going to be, then why not wait and just race with e buggies and just practice for now, that way nobody si angry nor aggravated. After all, this hobby is about having fun, but winning is always nice
Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Having race both Nitro and Electric last year I can tell you that on a small or medium sized track electric has a clear advantage. On the larger tracks things equal out a bit with nitros higher top end. A few thoughts:

* It's alot easier to coast part throttle with an electric through tight turns.
* You get up to speed alot faster
* The balance of a converted electric is thrown off, but chassis tuning can correct this
*Electric has a lower center on gravity.
* There are no tuning issues, but they do have heat issues

I club race on a really small track with 5 minute mains(10-12 this year) and the one thing that fries my eggs is when the electric guys don't admit the advantage they have. I am all for having them in the same class at the club level, but at least acknowledge the fact that they are better suited for that enviroment, and heck maybe even agree to a couple consessions in the rules.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

5 Minute mains!? I wouldn't want to race there either. Short mains are for the toy 1/10th scale class. Kick 'em up to 30 and the field should even out better. Won't have to worry 'bout electrics sneaking through without pitting 'cause they'll have to pit anyway.

I hate fake rules like making an electric pit when they don't need to. Make it so they have to pit with longer mains 30-1h. Or give the nitro cars more leeway. Bigger fuel tanks, open engine rules. I'd want to avoid changing rules in a nearly perfectly ruled out class. Its not like nitro and electric have to get along for much time anyway. Soon 1/10th will be dead and those racers will be filling 1/8 electric.

5 min=lame.
Even on the club level that stinks. 5 min quals are ok, but mains?

Electric isn't so much faster that they need split up at the club level unless you have a bigger than normal club. I've heard of larger tracks splitting the classes. The last thing a little track needs is divideing up the racers more.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Some guys just want any excuse to justify why they are bringing up the rear in the F main. If someone beats you with an electric car, I would bet a steak dinner they would spank you with a nitro too.

There are nitro guys at my track I can only dream of beating. I don't care if my car can out accelerate or walk by them on a straight like they are standing still, I have no chance in hell of beating them. There is more to racing than going fast in a straight line. You either can drive or you can't and it sounds like some of the complainers might have confidence issues if they are so worried about a handful of electric 1/8s racing with them at the club level until the class gets big enough to seperate.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

The 5 minute main thing is changing this year but I must say it worked very well last year. We had a new track with almost all new racers, some of which struggled to finish even the 5's! We also started racing at 4pm which meant you had to sneak out for an afternoon. Looks like this year we'll will be going to 10, although I am pushing for 12.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Some guys just want any excuse to justify why they are bringing up the rear in the F main. If someone beats you with an electric car, I would bet a steak dinner they would spank you with a nitro too.

There are nitro guys at my track I can only dream of beating. I don't care if my car can out accelerate or walk by them on a straight like they are standing still, I have no chance in hell of beating them. There is more to racing than going fast in a straight line. You either can drive or you can't and it sounds like some of the complainers might have confidence issues if they are so worried about a handful of electric 1/8s racing with them at the club level until the class gets big enough to seperate.
Trust me I can drive..One of the other problems that I have seen with the electrics is they dont or should say you cant drive them the same as a nitro buggy or truggy, so from what i have seen they tend to hit each other more often due to braking and acceleration differences, i would equate it to running a 19 turn in mod..lap times are very close but coming outta the corners guys running the mod motors tend to "run over" the guys running 19 turns..The electric buggies that I have driven pulled a lot harder out of the corners than the nitro buggies that were on the track when i was running..had to really pay attention if their was a nitro buggy ahead of me when exiting a corner..and you guys keep talking about balance..the tecno kit was really good, the Novak you could tell a difference when it jumped, Look at the Caster E Buggy (Fusion) it was designed from the ground up to be an electric buggy and the car looks to be as balanced as any nitro buggy..once the electrics are designed from the ground up..it wont even be close..
Old 02-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So apparently they are running 1.8th electric buggy and truggy classes at this years NITRO challenge and from what people at the race tell me its a lot of factory drivers.

So much for that whole its a NITRO event argument.

and club racing should be taken serious, at least most people around here take it really seriously. Its not that fun unless your winning at least for me.

In a couple of months there will probably be an e 1/8th class here and it will be good, but the only thing bad is that there is less competition. The pro guys all still race gas, they will change eventually though, so unless your racing with the gas ones, its not that much competition. The gas guys like the extra competition too, if your really into the racing, why wouldn't you.

The only reason i run my electric over gas is that for club races its a lot less work, and i dont have to run around trying to find a pit guy, and it hardly ever breaks. Id much rather be spending time getting better on the track then wrenching.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bradfox2
So apparently they are running 1.8th electric buggy and truggy classes at this years NITRO challenge and from what people at the race tell me its a lot of factory drivers.

jeez when did this happen, would have ran it for sure....
Old 02-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Revo-daddy
The 5 minute main thing is changing this year but I must say it worked very well last year. We had a new track with almost all new racers, some of which struggled to finish even the 5's! We also started racing at 4pm which meant you had to sneak out for an afternoon. Looks like this year we'll will be going to 10, although I am pushing for 12.
I'm down with 12 minute mains... I'd be one of the very few that didn't have to pit. (And no, I don't run electric. My finger isn't anywhere NEAR smooth enough.) We have a few electric conversions locally, and they aren't just spanking everyone... it is fairly competitive. They are pretty fun to watch- instant acceleration! I'd miss the noise and smoke though. Let 'em run in the club races... it's all good.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
Well you see, electric is instant power and nitros take a while to get to speed and are heavier. They should be in different classes
a brushless buggy well never be lighter then a nitro car. my rc8 weighs about 8 pounds. and i drive with a few other guys that have rc8's that are nitro and they weight in at about low 7pounds.

All the buggys i have seen become heavyer when they become brushless. the battery is not as light as you guys think it is lol

but then again we do have stupid amounts of power. but at my track all the nitro guys can keep with me on the straight away but when it comes to the infield i have the advantage cause i have that instant power when ever i need it.

I think that in club racing it should not matter. but in a pro level it should be 2 classes. i think thats why they have 2 classes for pro level.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RyyRyy
they shouldnt race together period.
I think this the best answer to the question so far. It's a short,
no B.S. answer, that I agree with. Nitros in one class and the
flashlights can have a class too.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sideways88
a brushless buggy well never be lighter then a nitro car. my rc8 weighs about 8 pounds. and i drive with a few other guys that have rc8's that are nitro and they weight in at about low 7pounds.

All the buggys i have seen become heavyer when they become brushless. the battery is not as light as you guys think it is lol

but then again we do have stupid amounts of power. but at my track all the nitro guys can keep with me on the straight away but when it comes to the infield i have the advantage cause i have that instant power when ever i need it.

I think that in club racing it should not matter. but in a pro level it should be 2 classes. i think thats why they have 2 classes for pro level.
Wow, I can't wait for Caster to start showing up at more tracks.....There is a balanced electric and it does weigh less than 8 lbs.......but then of course, they don't "Become" electric.....
Old 02-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nitro and electric should be kept separate. I never heard of a track running 1/10 electric truck with nitro trucks, so why now? Whats next? I guess the traxxas slayer and slashes should start running together too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.