Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales? >

Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales?

Should electric 1/8th scales be allowed to race against nitro 1/8th scales?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
At a certain level, I can definitely see a need to separate them. However, for 95% of races, I really don't see the point. At the end of the day, it comes down to the driver. Maybe in the hands of Tebo et al, electric would be an advantage, but for 99% of racers I can't see how it makes a difference. You either can drive or you can't.

I find it funny that some nitro guys cry about electrics being a different power plant and the unfair advantages, but don't say a peep about deep pockets racing modded up $500 v Specs/novarossi's etc against RTR mills. If anything electric is a little more fair across the board because you can't mod your motor. My Neu 1512 3d on 5s is the exact same as the next guys and no amount of modding will make me faster beyond my gearing choices and car setup.

I just like racing. Nitro won't work for me for a variety of reasons, so electric allows me to participate in 1/8 scale. I like both, but I find electric suits me better.
Us nitro guys that race at a club dont cry about it... we alow them to race, but when you got a guy with a motor that puts out 4.5 horses compared to a 3 horse nitro, it shows.... I mean i dont run a rtr motor, i have a mildly ported motor ws72, and he smokes me out of the straight and everywhere else on the track.... in a 5 min race hes got 2 laps on everyone and i mean everyone... problem is that he comes out for the trophy races and the payback races and hes in the same class as the nitro
Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
It has nothing to do with the tuning. They do have an advantage. Again, at the club racing level who really cares?
actually I think it has alot to do with tuning. especially if you want to eliminate the advantage that an electric buggy has over a nitro buggy. Because an electric buggy doesn't need to be tuned. a poorly tuned nitro vehicle has a large disadvantage because it might flame out or just run crappy.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Addict

I agree, i say in a club race, let them run together, but in a series race or event races, i say separate them.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think its funny when the electric is running with the nitro and they flip over the marshal thinks it flamed out.... its hilarious!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

alright you guys all sound right here is a few things you might not know nitro has good power to keep up on straight but out of tight turn no comparison to electric. electric with big enough battery to run 15 min main without dumping is about 8 oz heavier than a nitro. all the same they are different and elec is faster. club racing if there is enough to run thier own class then they should if not run with the gas guys. onlyh problem is 20 min main there in trouble. my local track i go to is where the owner of techno r/c races him and his partner are fast at top of expert class but there cars will dump at 15 min sometimes so they need thier own class at pro level they would have to change pack every 15 min would even out with nitros who would have 4 shorter timed stops in 45 min main then all you would have to worry about is speed control melting on that long of run
Old 02-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I dont really understand the attitudes over this, their completely different..why do you think in on road they separate the nitro and electric..the electric has the advantage..it's like cheating really..heck at club races why dont you just run everyone together..1/10th scale electric, nitros, buggies and truggies..I say man up and race with other ELECTRICS or does cheating suit you electric guys more..electric has a lot less variables than nitro..like no flame outs, if you crash you dont have to worry about your motor flaming out, theirs no motor tuning, no clutches, the electrics are lighter, and as more and more manufacturers start building purpose built electric buggies and truggies the gap will start growing..electric is quicker, faster and more reliable..it will end up killing the nitro class if you run them together..yes even at the club level..sorta like bringing a gun to a knife fight....as the electric guys learn how to drive the electric truggies and buggies (takes a different style) they will start winning more and more..
Old 02-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oasis
I dont really understand the attitudes over this, their completely different..why do you think in on road they separate the nitro and electric..the electric has the advantage..it's like cheating really..heck at club races why dont you just run everyone together..1/10th scale electric, nitros, buggies and truggies..I say man up and race with other ELECTRICS or does cheating suit you electric guys more..electric has a lot less variables than nitro..like no flame outs, if you crash you dont have to worry about your motor flaming out, theirs no motor tuning, no clutches, the electrics are lighter, and as more and more manufacturers start building purpose built electric buggies and truggies the gap will start growing..electric is quicker, faster and more reliable..it will end up killing the nitro class if you run them together..yes even at the club level..sorta like bringing a gun to a knife fight....as the electric guys learn how to drive the electric truggies and buggies (takes a different style) they will start winning more and more..
couldnt say it any better
Old 02-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Unless the track agree's and all the racers agree, it will always end up being a pissing match.

I don't know any Nitro guys trying to enter electric races, so why should this be any different. I think it is up to the E Buggy's to build their own class. The electric drivers should have NO expectations to run with the Nitro guys. It is always a pissing match with someone, so most tracks will just say no so the majority are not upset.

It is just apples and oranges, even tho performance of both are very close, the pit stops vs. battery changing etc, will always become an issue. Tuning of a nitro engine is part of the racing, so are flame-outs, fuel mileage etc. They just are NOT the same.

The guys buying electric buggies are basically at the forefront of its own class and will have to just get more racers together to create a class.

I just don't think the E guys should bitch when they are not allowed to run with the Nitro cars, if you want to run then run nitro. Once the electric class is formed and a nitro guy wants to run it, I gaurantee most of the racers will say no. I've just seen this over and over.

Even at a club level, alot of racers take ANY racing serious. Why do we have to make concessions for a small group?? Like I said, take a nitro GT 2 to an electric truck race and see what happens.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bustedpiecesrc
couldnt say it any better
yes what you say is true they have potential to be better for some reasons but until there is enough of them at any trac on any night to run in thier own class they should be allowed to run with the nitro class just like monster trucks run with truggy if not enough monster trucks but when a track gets enough to run thier own class they should. which is what is going to happen at our local track i think although i dont care either way i like tuning my nitro motors and club races aint getting me rich so they can run i same class and i wont care
Old 02-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
But again, why the fuss over electric and its "advantages" but it's ok for a deep pocket nitro racer to spend a ton of money on a modded out nitro engine that needs one less pit stop, puts out more hp, and holds a tune better and race it against broke racers running RTR mills? How is it any different? Why is that not cheating?

Flame Out = Battery plug knocking itself loose after casing a jump. Yes, I had it happen to me in a race. Or better yet, ESC thermaling because I over geared for the track. Battery dumps with 30 seconds left in a 20 minute main because I got a little trigger happy. Electric is hardly plug and go.

The way some of you guys talk about flame outs, weather, holding a tune, etc you make it sound like 90% of nitro's can't make it around a track without breaking down. Hardly any of the nitro guys I see at my local track seem to have any of these problems on a regular basis.

Electric does have its advantages, but completely over blown IMHO. I think the bigger issue is that there is an undercurrent of fear that new game changing technology is on the horizon that doesn't include nitro engines. Don't get me wrong, I love to see the nitros screaming down the straight. Just has a certain soul about the noise that I find appealing at the track (sometimes).
Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jewn_beef
yes what you say is true they have potential to be better for some reasons but until there is enough of them at any trac on any night to run in thier own class they should be allowed to run with the nitro class just like monster trucks run with truggy if not enough monster trucks but when a track gets enough to run thier own class they should. which is what is going to happen at our local track i think although i dont care either way i like tuning my nitro motors and club races aint getting me rich so they can run i same class and i wont care
well the track that i run at, they have maybe 3 MT and that includes the revos, 2 savages and a revo... there one guy that actually has a truggy and he dont run it there. the track is too small
Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

But again, why the fuss over electric and its "advantages" but it's ok for a deep pocket nitro racer to spend a ton of money on a modded out nitro engine that needs one less pit stop, puts out more hp, and holds a tune better and race it against broke racers running RTR mills? How is it any different? Why is that not cheating?

Flame Out = Battery plug knocking itself loose after casing a jump. Yes, I had it happen to me in a race. Or better yet, ESC thermaling because I over geared for the track. Battery dumps with 30 seconds left in a 20 minute main because I got a little trigger happy. Electric is hardly plug and go.

The way some of you guys talk about flame outs, weather, holding a tune, etc you make it sound like 90% of nitro's can't make it around a track without breaking down. Hardly any of the nitro guys I see at my local track seem to have any of these problems on a regular basis.

Electric does have its advantages, but completely over blown IMHO. I think the bigger issue is that there is an undercurrent of fear that new game changing technology is on the horizon that doesn't include nitro engines. Don't get me wrong, I love to see the nitros screaming down the straight. Just has a certain soul about the noise that I find appealing at the track (sometimes).
electric is hardly plug and go?? maybe for mains but for heats its a different story.... if you over gear a nitro you burn up clutches, electric in a 20 min main= 1 pit where alot of the nitro racers i race with have to pit 3 times if your lucky and only have to pit twice, which dont happen very often... the noise brings in alot of viewers at our track not the quiet ones.... only my opinion
Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

Dude, how about just running Nitro?? Why does everyone else and the track have to make a concession for you??? You can't expect it. If the Electrics were more popular, track would accomidate them. You obviously have something against Nitro's by the tone of your post.

All racing has rules and classes, NASCAR, DRAG Racing, AMA, you name it. It is to keep it on a more even level with equipment.

ELECTRIC AND NITRO ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!!!!

Spend more time convincing guys to buy an electric than trying to change everybody else's view just for you.

And as far as us motorheads buying $500 motors, thats another reality of racing $$$$$ does help, but a great driver will always be a winner.

I don't fear the electric technology, I FEAR THE TREE HUGGING LIBERAL EPA ASS WIPES TAKING AWAY MY LOVE FOR NITRO ENGINES. I just like nitro engines, I don't see whats wrong with that.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SPEEDSKI
Unless the track agree's and all the racers agree, it will always end up being a pissing match.

I don't know any Nitro guys trying to enter electric races, so why should this be any different. I think it is up to the E Buggy's to build their own class. The electric drivers should have NO expectations to run with the Nitro guys. It is always a pissing match with someone, so most tracks will just say no so the majority are not upset.

It is just apples and oranges, even tho performance of both are very close, the pit stops vs. battery changing etc, will always become an issue. Tuning of a nitro engine is part of the racing, so are flame-outs, fuel mileage etc. They just are NOT the same.

The guys buying electric buggies are basically at the forefront of its own class and will have to just get more racers together to create a class.

I just don't think the E guys should bitch when they are not allowed to run with the Nitro cars, if you want to run then run nitro. Once the electric class is formed and a nitro guy wants to run it, I gaurantee most of the racers will say no. I've just seen this over and over.

Even at a club level, alot of racers take ANY racing serious. Why do we have to make concessions for a small group?? Like I said, take a nitro GT 2 to an electric truck race and see what happens.
well this is it on the subject for me i run nitro now and when nitro goes up another 5 or 10 bucks it will cost me 45 to 50 bucks in fuel just to practice for a day to get set up right. electric is new when it gets bigger the tracks will make thier own class for them until then it is just pushing new racers away to not let them run. and as for nitro versus electric drive a techno r/c electric set up which uses clutch and mechanical brakes just like nitro you will understand how much potential these things have its crazy. they need thier own class but that will come in time until then we should share our class with them for the sport
Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Interesting timing on this since our club is going to be discussing this as well for our local club races this year.

There are a couple of us who converted last year, me being one of them. I can say without a doubt that I was alot slower overall after converting. I went from the top 4 of the A main down to the bottom 4 of the A main.

Converted cars are significantly heavier when compared to a nitro (not lighter as alot of people say), sure I can destroy anyone on the straight but when I am geared/setup that way, the thing is a pig to control and I loose it where racing matters - in the corners. There have been a few times where the marshalls are watching the race and dont see me crash and I have had to run down and across the track to marshall my own car after waiting for them to look. Battery swaps are near 50 seconds, that leaves me almost 2 laps down but I have no choice as we run 20 minute mains.
I think if you have a guy who is destroying you with his electric, chances are he would be doing the same with a nitro.
For $$$ payout racing, well, when money is involved people suck and whine and complain about everything (which is why I refuse to allow our track to run another prize race series) and the electric stuff is just another complaint for people. For sanity sake, and to save 2 hours of complaining, split them up on the big races. For the average club, next time ask someone to let you try theirs, you might be surprised at how much worse your driving is.

Since me and 2 other guys (another electric guy) are the only ones that do all the work and maintenance/events hosting and paperwork for the club, I dont have time to keep a nitro running. I am too busy grooming the track, keeping my kids happy, marshalling because so many people dont, etc. If I want to race electric it is.

As far as our track is concerned, the electric and nitro will stay together untill electric is too big. If people disagree, then I guess that means the club will be short 2 of the 3 people who actually do the work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.