Wiki Posts
Search

Heat gun and RC engines??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Heat gun and RC engines??

Guys how important is using a heat gun when first starting your RC engine?? Does it really make the engine last longer?? It is hard to find a power outlet at parks to be able to use the heat gun...
Old 02-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HulkNT1
Guys how important is using a heat gun when first starting your RC engine?? Does it really make the engine last longer?? It is hard to find a power outlet at parks to be able to use the heat gun...
It helps when you use a heat gun/hair dryer on your cooling head/crankcase because it warms up the connecting rod and piston/sleeve. Starting a cold engine is hard on the con rod. And it is alot easier to start when the enigne is warm. By warm, about 150+ degrees F.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
It helps when you use a heat gun/hair dryer on your cooling head/crankcase because it warms up the connecting rod and piston/sleeve. Starting a cold engine is hard on the con rod. And it is alot easier to start when the enigne is warm. By warm, about 150+ degrees F.
+2 The conrod takes alot of the abuse while starting a cold engine, plus it helps to heat it to take a strain off the starter box. Some engines I have found to be different as to heating before starting the Os i didnt have to heat as much as my current GRP, that sucker I had to heat every time for the first gallon.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

When you are starting an engine for the first time, heating it up will make it much easier to start and it wont put huge amounts of stress on the rod when the pistion hits the pinch on the liner. SO yes, it will make the engine last longer.

Just been breaking in a Novarossi, very very tight, wouldn't turn over unless it was heated up. Wrapped the cooling head in tin foil to keep it warm.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris-s
When you are starting an engine for the first time, heating it up will make it much easier to start and it wont put huge amounts of stress on the rod when the pistion hits the pinch on the liner. SO yes, it will make the engine last longer.

Just been breaking in a Novarossi, very very tight, wouldn't turn over unless it was heated up. Wrapped the cooling head in tin foil to keep it warm.
x2. Always heat engines at first. Once they start to lose pinch it is not nessicary. Just when there is tons of pinch when new. I also heat my engines if it is cold outside(or inside if indoors).
Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

An easier starting engine is easier on your starting gear too, so there are many benefits to pre-heating a new engine. I preheat mine on cold days on every run, and on hot days usually just one in the morning.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Its the difference between the conrod lasting 2 gallons or 7on a Rb. Its better for the conrod, starterbox, piston, an sleeve.

It helps get the car up to temp quicker so you waste less fuel warming up on the box or track.

I heat mine till its uncomfortable to touch. Then fire it up and let it heat up some more (not long).
Old 02-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i normally heat mine up for the first gallon or so.. it makes them waaaay easier to start
Old 02-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
An easier starting engine is easier on your starting gear too, so there are many benefits to pre-heating a new engine. I preheat mine on cold days on every run, and on hot days usually just one in the morning.
+1. It really does provide a noticeable benefit. The engine starts easier, gets to full temp quicker, wastes less fuel getting there, and reduces stress/wear on the rod and piston/sleeve.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

just to bump a old topic,

what heat gun do you guys use at the track???

no power to plug my heat gun into at the track
Old 12-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

While using a heat gun, does only the crankcase need to be heated? What temps should I stop?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I continue to use a heat gun to start my engines even when they're completely broken in. Helps preserves the life of the engine and the initial strain on the rod when starting. Also all the other things thats been mentioned. I get the temps close to 200. As far as what to use for a power out let is a good question. All my local tracks have power outlets so thats never a problem for me. You might want to invest in gas generator or perhaps some kind of battery operated heat gun.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Competition Heat 12 V and a 3S Lipo
Old 12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Limywidget
+1 they work great for me.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Limywidget

+2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.