R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Heat gun and RC engines?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/276111-heat-gun-rc-engines.html)

HulkNT1 02-16-2009 12:30 PM

Heat gun and RC engines??

Guys how important is using a heat gun when first starting your RC engine?? Does it really make the engine last longer?? It is hard to find a power outlet at parks to be able to use the heat gun...

Chris__RC 02-16-2009 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by HulkNT1 (Post 5439552)
Guys how important is using a heat gun when first starting your RC engine?? Does it really make the engine last longer?? It is hard to find a power outlet at parks to be able to use the heat gun...

It helps when you use a heat gun/hair dryer on your cooling head/crankcase because it warms up the connecting rod and piston/sleeve. Starting a cold engine is hard on the con rod. And it is alot easier to start when the enigne is warm. By warm, about 150+ degrees F.

JBURCH 02-16-2009 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chris__RC (Post 5439564)
It helps when you use a heat gun/hair dryer on your cooling head/crankcase because it warms up the connecting rod and piston/sleeve. Starting a cold engine is hard on the con rod. And it is alot easier to start when the enigne is warm. By warm, about 150+ degrees F.

+2 The conrod takes alot of the abuse while starting a cold engine, plus it helps to heat it to take a strain off the starter box. Some engines I have found to be different as to heating before starting the Os i didnt have to heat as much as my current GRP, that sucker I had to heat every time for the first gallon.

Chris-s 02-16-2009 12:40 PM

When you are starting an engine for the first time, heating it up will make it much easier to start and it wont put huge amounts of stress on the rod when the pistion hits the pinch on the liner. SO yes, it will make the engine last longer.

Just been breaking in a Novarossi, very very tight, wouldn't turn over unless it was heated up. Wrapped the cooling head in tin foil to keep it warm.

JAMMINKRAZY 02-16-2009 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chris-s (Post 5439591)
When you are starting an engine for the first time, heating it up will make it much easier to start and it wont put huge amounts of stress on the rod when the pistion hits the pinch on the liner. SO yes, it will make the engine last longer.

Just been breaking in a Novarossi, very very tight, wouldn't turn over unless it was heated up. Wrapped the cooling head in tin foil to keep it warm.

x2. Always heat engines at first. Once they start to lose pinch it is not nessicary. Just when there is tons of pinch when new. I also heat my engines if it is cold outside(or inside if indoors).

rearviewmirror 02-16-2009 01:01 PM

An easier starting engine is easier on your starting gear too, so there are many benefits to pre-heating a new engine. I preheat mine on cold days on every run, and on hot days usually just one in the morning.

Zerodefect 02-16-2009 01:11 PM

Its the difference between the conrod lasting 2 gallons or 7on a Rb. Its better for the conrod, starterbox, piston, an sleeve.

It helps get the car up to temp quicker so you waste less fuel warming up on the box or track.

I heat mine till its uncomfortable to touch. Then fire it up and let it heat up some more (not long).

jamminnay 02-16-2009 01:47 PM

i normally heat mine up for the first gallon or so.. it makes them waaaay easier to start

rstnboy 02-16-2009 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror (Post 5439661)
An easier starting engine is easier on your starting gear too, so there are many benefits to pre-heating a new engine. I preheat mine on cold days on every run, and on hot days usually just one in the morning.

+1. It really does provide a noticeable benefit. The engine starts easier, gets to full temp quicker, wastes less fuel getting there, and reduces stress/wear on the rod and piston/sleeve.

LiL_JaSoN 06-01-2010 04:10 AM

just to bump a old topic,

what heat gun do you guys use at the track???

no power to plug my heat gun into at the track

rcindia 12-02-2011 11:34 AM

While using a heat gun, does only the crankcase need to be heated? What temps should I stop?

rcmoe 12-02-2011 11:54 AM

I continue to use a heat gun to start my engines even when they're completely broken in. Helps preserves the life of the engine and the initial strain on the rod when starting. Also all the other things thats been mentioned. I get the temps close to 200. As far as what to use for a power out let is a good question. All my local tracks have power outlets so thats never a problem for me. You might want to invest in gas generator or perhaps some kind of battery operated heat gun.

Limywidget 12-02-2011 12:25 PM

Competition Heat 12 V and a 3S Lipo

Spads11 12-02-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Limywidget (Post 9987154)

+1 they work great for me.

Integra 12-02-2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Limywidget (Post 9987154)

+2 :nod: