Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racing in the WET: The hows....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

Default Racing in the WET: The hows....

Based on the 2008 worlds it seems racing in the wet is part of 1/8th scale buggy racing.
In our country the new ruling is that we race even if and when it rains. In the past Nationals used to be cut short due to weather conditions.

My question is What has the manufacturers done for us in this regard. I havent seen one new buggy or new waterproof radio tray section in any of the new desighn??????? Question Is this fact ignored.
Do we have to resort to the pic below.
Attached Thumbnails Racing in the WET: The hows....-normal_charlotte_day3_010.jpg   Racing in the WET: The hows....-normal_charlotte_day3_017.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the reason they (the manufacturers) have not done a lot in this area is that most people do not run/race in these conditions. Look at motocross bikes, they are not setup to run in really muddy conditions either. We would have to tape up or air boxes and drench everything in wd-40 so nothing would stick.

IMO, there is not enough of a need for the manufacturers to invest R&D $$ to allow a very small percentage a waterproof setup..

just my .02
Old 02-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by free2day77
I think the reason they (the manufacturers) have not done a lot in this area is that most people do not run/race in these conditions. Look at motocross bikes, they are not setup to run in really muddy conditions either. We would have to tape up or air boxes and drench everything in wd-40 so nothing would stick.

IMO, there is not enough of a need for the manufacturers to invest R&D $$ to allow a very small percentage a waterproof setup..

just my .02
Thats a fair statement but if it rains in the worlds it does matter. If you dont practice this at compitition level how can you perfect it for the worlds.
At least they should make options available.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hear what you are saying, but if motocross manufacturers don't do it, I really don't see RC manufacturers doing it either.. there is not enough of a need for them to spend the $$ on the development.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Look at it from a MFG standpoint... why invest 100k + when the racer can solve the problem with a 10 cent balloon. When you race on the level that you have to run in the rain or mud you gotta improvise!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

yeah i am pretty sure that we will not see anything waterproof in the near future.. if it rains i do not race.. i would have a different opinion if it were the worlds or something
Old 02-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
Thats a fair statement but if it rains in the worlds it does matter. If you dont practice this at compitition level how can you perfect it for the worlds.
At least they should make options available.
Since at best something like only 1 in 5,000 RCers ever come close to sniffing the Worlds it would be my guess that the manufacturers couldn't be bothered with something that would only appeal to so few (and so few would pay for) and since the majority of RC is done in fair weather it just wouldn't be worth the effort.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Wow, whoever wrapped that radio tray in the pic you posted
did a good lookin job. Is that balloons or shrinkwrap?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rageworks
Wow, whoever wrapped that radio tray in the pic you posted
did a good lookin job. Is that balloons or shrinkwrap?
I agree it looks like baloons. How he did I would like to know.

I dont thin k the manufactures would have to fork out big bucks. Its only a small redign of the radio tray or maybe just an optional cover....
Old 02-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi, i have a lot of experiance racing in severe wet conditions, here is my take...

Waterproofing a radio tray is not that bigger an issue barring servo's and engine.

The main reason not to race in the wet is simply killing engines. Waterproof air filter covers tend to throttle an engines performance. However, buggies can get away with it pretty easily. I have seen some engines die though. And every wet race day there is at least one runaway. That is why i think clubs/tracks choose not to run as a rule.

As for radio trays, there is a solution without all the balloons. All you need is a can of the latex solution the 1/5th guys use. Paint everything, including servos (Obviously not the top, use grease under the horn to seal. The plate at the bottom is where water gets in). Personally i still use a couple of condoms, but i know peope who don't. It's pretty much a bulletproof method when done properly.

Best thing is, it just peels right off when you are done.

I suspect the reason manufacturers don't waterproof radio trays is because any problem will end in blame, also It is almost impossible to seal a unit with wires coming out for quick access.

I come from somewhere in the UK we race on astroturf in the rain. The main reason people choose not to run is because of the sheer maintenance. Bearings suffer the most and a day in the rain means a big job for casual racers.

I have raced in the mud as well, that is a whole different ballgame as the car gets weighed down so much if the track has any clay content. Tends to become a race of attrition, and a slow one without much air... not so much fun and then you have the clean up. It's not for the fainthearted for sure
Old 02-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

theres rain and then theres rain, we race to our limits and our equipments limits. if you want to fry a motor or a servo or a receiver go ahead and try. if you want to seal everything, go ahead also. if you want someone to design it, build it and sell it to you you will have to pay a lot. the worlds is a whole nother level.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Beside running in the wet condition on what it's does to the car. But don't you want to stand out there in the rain and marshal get mud slung at you. I've been there when they over watered the track. Either on the drivers stand getting pegged each time they go by or out on the track fun fun