Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
MBX5 Prospec - MBX5R what's the difference? >

MBX5 Prospec - MBX5R what's the difference?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MBX5 Prospec - MBX5R what's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)
Default MBX5 Prospec - MBX5R what's the difference?

Picking up a used MBX5 Prospec and was wondering what the differences between it and the R are. And can I update the Pro with R parts? And if yes which ones?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

the "R" has better shocks that are longer, have good hard coating (the real down fall of the previous model) and revised shock towers. Arms are slightly to accommodate the longer travel too. Both good cars, the R is better.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

So I should be able to easily update it to R spec then? Thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mfrosty
So I should be able to easily update it to R spec then? Thanks
yep..and on the pro has aluminum where on the r has c/f..

Last edited by reggie l.; 02-15-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idcategory=466
Old 02-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Rookie

I also bought a mbx5 prospec and am in the process of putting on the longer shocks from the 5r. you also have to change the servosaver assembly, accerman arm and the front upper arms if you want the steering geometry to be correct. at least thats what i've been told.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Right on, so is the chassis required to update the suspension and such?

Thanks for that link imaxx, that's on point! I like Carolinas too, very good company and a lot closer to me than amain.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If any of you would like to save some $$ on shocks, I have Xray XB8 shocks I'd like to unload. They're exactly the same length as the X5R's. PM if interested.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Picking up a used MBX5 Prospec and was wondering what the differences between it and the R are. And can I update the Pro with R parts? And if yes which ones?

Thanks!

How much are you paying for the Prospec? THere are some extremely good deals on 5r's and 6's right now.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by xrayeddy
How much are you paying for the Prospec? THere are some extremely good deals on 5r's and 6's right now.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...pec-buggy.html

Think it's a good deal? TONS of parts for it RTR. I have an RB C6BBT/2045 pipe and a pair of 94359 serovs that are being swapped in. The 427 and spektrum servos are going into a truggy I'm going to put up for sale (Jammin X1-CRT w/BCE chassis, low CG mod and lots of spares and tires if anyone's interested PM me DX2 w/Rx included too)

More pics

I'm paying $395 shipped for it with EVERYTHING in the pictures
Old 02-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

This is for my 10yr old daughter, I'll be running a PTM modded Go5 port/086 powered FT RC8.

It's her first exposure to the hobby (besides a MLST) so I'm not terribly pressed to spend hundreds updating (unless she's a phenom and starts kicking eveyone's ass )
Old 02-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by xrayeddy
I've seen a few good deals on the R's too and if I decide to update I'll more than likely pick up a cheap used roller. I've seen quite a few for under 150
Old 02-16-2009, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is for my 10yr old daughter, I'll be running a PTM modded Go5 port/086 powered FT RC8.

It's her first exposure to the hobby (besides a MLST) so I'm not terribly pressed to spend hundreds updating (unless she's a phenom and starts kicking eveyone's ass )

Congratulations, you bought (in my opinion) the best beginner buggy ever made, period. It is stable, forgiving, easy to drive, and practically bulletproof.

I wouldn't waste the time, effort, and money upgrading to the R. Yes, it will turn better, and yes, the longer shocks will give you more droop. Not needed or even wanted for a beginner- yes, the ProSpec will push a bit, but that is part of what makes it so forgiving and easy to drive for a beginner.

You might consider getting the plastic (with metal turnbuckle ends) front chassis brace from the non-ProSpec MBX5. It allows a little more flex and gives a little more front traction. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Congratulations, you bought (in my opinion) the best beginner buggy ever made, period. It is stable, forgiving, easy to drive, and practically bulletproof.

I wouldn't waste the time, effort, and money upgrading to the R. Yes, it will turn better, and yes, the longer shocks will give you more droop. Not needed or even wanted for a beginner- yes, the ProSpec will push a bit, but that is part of what makes it so forgiving and easy to drive for a beginner.

You might consider getting the plastic (with metal turnbuckle ends) front chassis brace from the non-ProSpec MBX5. It allows a little more flex and gives a little more front traction. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.
Yea, that's what I was thinking