Wiki Posts
Search

Ofna Truggy box help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
i hope not 55's....if so if your still in that return window...get some 45's at a minimum...the 55's besically turned too slow...even with lipo power..they are just a little on the slow side for my likings.
no, actually i got 65t motors. i like these motors

you dont need speed, they call it a bump box for a reason. if your just settin the flywheel on the rubber wheel and runnin it until it starts your motors are preying to be put out of service...... prime the motor by blowing fuel into the carb and bump it, if it doesnt start your tune is off or your gp needs replaced. just for the hell of it a buddy i race with and i wanted to see if it could turn over a brand new motor. its a sirio and its been broken in and that was it. my box turned it over like it was worn out. i dont think i will have any issues.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I'm all set now. It was a combo of things that were my fault. I replaced the wiring with 12awg wire direct solder everywhere. Changed to deans on the batteries. Cleand the contact points which had melted just a tad. Oiled the motors and cleaned the bearings on the wheel. Also my pegs had moved just a tad scrubbing some power off on the chassis. It's all good now and turns it over enough to engage the clutch and turn the drivetrain. Thanks for all the help!
Old 02-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
no, actually i got 65t motors. i like these motors

you dont need speed, they call it a bump box for a reason. if your just settin the flywheel on the rubber wheel and runnin it until it starts your motors are preying to be put out of service...... prime the motor by blowing fuel into the carb and bump it, if it doesnt start your tune is off or your gp needs replaced. just for the hell of it a buddy i race with and i wanted to see if it could turn over a brand new motor. its a sirio and its been broken in and that was it. my box turned it over like it was worn out. i dont think i will have any issues.

LMK when you realize the 65's are Way too Slow and you Need something faster.....been there done that....believe it or not.

PS thx for the intro to bump box's.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

dude u do NOT need speed. im not racin my starter box....

plus its faster then my stock motors i had and those were fast. you need torque on a starter box. maybe you should put some wheels on ur box and enter it in the daytona 500 since your so interested in speed
Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Lord

dude u do NOT need speed. im not racin my starter box....

plus its faster then my stock motors i had and those were fast. you need torque on a starter box. maybe you should put some wheels on ur box and enter it in the daytona 500 since your so interested in speed

No Way on Earth would a 65T lath motor turn faster then the stock 20-30T stock motor.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

well it does. i have a lipo set up on both....
Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Play nice children.....

Doug, Integra knows what he's talking about..and with you still so new to the whole thing you should listen to his advice and accept it as truth, although you do not need to take it...Whatever works for you is fine..I think he is trying to help you learn from his mistakes..to save you money and agrivation in the long run...

Integra...cut him some slack..he's learning, just like me, and you know we all think we know everything.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Lord

well it does. i have a lipo set up on both....

65T with more RPM then a 20-30T ? how is this remotely possible ?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Play nice children.....

Doug, Integra knows what he's talking about..and with you still so new to the whole thing you should listen to his advice and accept it as truth, although you do not need to take it...Whatever works for you is fine..I think he is trying to help you learn from his mistakes..to save you money and agrivation in the long run...

Integra...cut him some slack..he's learning, just like me, and you know we all think we know everything.
i do listen to him, there are many times ive gave integra the props he deserves, but this time he is wrong. im done arguing tho, ive posted my point and im done
Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

And you know he is wrong how? From your eyes? from your ears? Did one of the pro guys tell you..Billy? Casey? Mike? Take this into consideration..the way a bump box would work according to your explanation, the faster the wheel spun the quicker it would spin your flywheel upon initial contact..the more torque it had the stronger it would turn it, so if you truly believe that the bump box is for bumping your flywheel, wouldn't faster be better? what would torque have to do with anything if you were not holding the car down on the starter wheel? Am I making sense?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, or to make anyone look bad..Hell I'm as much a Newbie as you are, but I would bet that Integra knows a whole lot more than the two of us put together, and the speed thing makes sense to me..if you got a different answer from one of the sponsored Losi guys we run with, I'd like to hear it, and I'm sure so would Integra..

This is not about Kudos and props and whose ass should be kissed for being the RC guru..this is other racers helping each other and helping people not make the same mistakes they have made..damn i wish i had this much help when I first started..I totaled 3 buggies before I learned CHIT!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Jaz240
damn i wish i had this much help when I first started..I totaled 3 buggies before I learned CHIT!

Ill 2nd that........i was a lost little boy in the woods when i first started....defiantly bought into my fair share of market hype from my LHS.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rageworks
I use four pole 30 amp automotive relays. You can buy them
from Radio Shack(#275-226) or any store that sells automotive
fog or aux lighting. The four poles on the relay are numbered.
#87- connects to the Bat.+(pos.) wire
#30/51- connects to the motors +(pos.) wire
#86- connects to the starterbox on-off switch, the wire on the
other wire coming out of the switch goes to the Bat. +(pos.)
wire. #86 can be connected to the Bat.+(pos.) if no switch
is used.
#85- connects to one of the bump contact switch wires. The other
bump contact switch wire goes to the Bat.-(neg.) wire.
The main Bat.-(neg.) wire goes to the motors -(neg.) terminal wire.
Also, if you are using a power panel, make sure that it's +(pos.)wire
gets connected to the switched side of the starter on-off switch or
install a switch to turn the power panel off when it is not in use.
Power panels draw some amperage even when not in use and will
slowly drain your batterys.
I hope you all can try wiring your starterboxes this way. I have been
buying up a few boxes that others said were getting old and tired. After
a clean up and re-wire they are as strong or stronger than new.
Good luck.
I received a few e-mails from some people looking for this info
on the relay wiring. So, I'll bump it back up to pg.1 for them.