R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

I have not run, but I have not heard of any tuning issues. I would see what is popular at your local track. That way u have help with engine problems.
USA.JQRACING.COM / WWW.NEMORACINGUSA.COM
revo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #47
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xchange View Post
ok but maybe the GRP or the +4 need tuning to work like the RB?

(sorry, i m totaly a newbe in the nitro, i race in 1/10 Offroad electric or 1/10 Sedan Electric usually so it's totally a new world for me the nitro hehe)
Novarossi and RB are like the same thing. They tune similar (i'm no expert but the tuned the same to me) , have similar excellent quality parts, and hold up well.

If RB had a copy of the OS VSPec I'd get one. Novarossi beat them to the punch. Why they didn't put a turbo head on the plus 4, I don't know. I'm an Rb fanboy and even I have to admit that the plus 4 is superior to a WS7III.

Hopefully RB's new 09 lineup has something new for me but so far those are still vaporware.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #48
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Thanks for the information about the motor, i think my choice is the Nova +4.
(i m not a RB Fanboy )

Just another question, the D8 need biggest rear shock pin or out of the box the car goes fast ?

(yes i need another time before i confirm my order hehe)

EDIT :

My configuration is :

Losi 8 2.0 + Nova 4+ or
D8 + Nova 4+ or
RC8 + Nova 4+

What you get if you take a new car ?

(sorry for this stupid question... ! )
Xchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #49
Tech Elite

If you are asking about gearing the D8 comes with a 16 tooth cb and a 48 tooth spur. It has plenty of acceleration and bottom for my local track. If you get a D8, you need a collet for the engine, the plus 4 may come with one and an aluminum servo horn.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for the information about the motor, i think my choice is the Nova +4.
(i m not a RB Fanboy )

Just another question, the D8 need biggest rear shock pin or out of the box the car goes fast ?

(yes i need another time before i confirm my order hehe)

EDIT :

My configuration is :

Losi 8 2.0 + Nova 4+ or
D8 + Nova 4+ or
RC8 + Nova 4+

What you get if you take a new car ?

(sorry for this stupid question... ! )
No, its a good question. The D8 only needs some aluminum clutch shoes and tires to be as good as anything else out there. The D8 is a great start and an excellent bargain. Seems that they purposely left out bling to keep the price down. It does have it where it counts.

I'd skip the RC8. I had one, It was fast and a good car to start with. It needed too much maintenance and is outdated. (even though it isn't old, everyone else came out with a new car to awnser the RC8.)

The Losi would be my pick from what u have listed only because it has smartdiffs available and has really good steering without being too agressive. It should be more adaptable than the D8.

But........The Losi costs more than Mugen and XRay. The new Xray 808 '09 edition is worth at least looking at. Both are more durable and even higher quality.

Don't forget to search for the +4 thread thats around here somewhere.

Edit to add: Oh I allmost forgot that missing collet for the D8. Need to get one of those for the D8. Engines come with generic collets that may or may not work well. It's best to find one that matches the cars flywheel. Not a big deal. They should have a part# in the D8 forum.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #51
Tech Elite

For tires get a set of city blocks soft or med to start off. Aluminum shoes, I would not worry about most are running the stock carbon ones. I have not any problems with the clutch. The Brake are like Superman strong, if you use the stock settings I would suggest running them much loser. For more setup tips check the D8 forum, Jessie Robbers the driver who finished 10th in the worlds post on it a lot.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo61 View Post
For tires get a set of city blocks soft or med to start off. Aluminum shoes, I would not worry about most are running the stock carbon ones. I have not any problems with the clutch. The Brake are like Superman strong, if you use the stock settings I would suggest running them much loser. For more setup tips check the D8 forum, Jessie Robbers the driver who finished 10th in the worlds post on it a lot.
Have you tried the I beams on the D8 yet. The D8 I drove had bowties and lots of rotation. Very nice. My Rc8 had too much grip with the City blocks in the rear!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #53
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey Franco,
It'll be hard for you to get any unbiased opinions on threads like this...might want to look at the individual thread for the cars you're looking at and see what actual owners are going through.

As far as Hara's championship winning car, he ran parts that are available to any of us, not all kinds of exotic one-off parts that some insist on
Lightning rear shock tower - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2731
Lightning 112mm shocks - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/29597

People are always gonna hate on the D8 for the fact that it won the championship and is not over $500. If it costed more, would people say the same? I sure hope you’re getting a much “better” car if it costs more! Also remember that there were FOUR of them in the finals which is more than any other manufacturer so that has some credibility to it but I am sure there is some excuse for that fact too.

As far as I know we all do the rc thing for fun. I’m sure the majority of us can afford to switch cars in a heartbeat . Does it really matter what buggy/truggy the guy next to you has?!!
bajaracer1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #54
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
ok but maybe the GRP or the +4 need tuning to work like the RB?

(sorry, i m totaly a newbe in the nitro, i race in 1/10 Offroad electric or 1/10 Sedan Electric usually so it's totally a new world for me the nitro hehe)
Actually that is not the case at all. RB engines are made by novarossi. I would go with a plus 4 or a plus 21-5k over the ws7 any day. You get better bottom end with better fuel milage at a cheaper price. The ws7 is really not that great of an engine. Don't get me wrong it has crazy top end but lacks bottom end and runtime. Not where I would put my money.

And to all of the people who say losi's wear out in a month, seriously? Are you serious? That is total bs. The car is designed with slop for a reason. The slop in the losi helps it handle the way it does. If you can't handle a little slop maybe you should be running onroad turing cars, not offroad 1/8 buggies.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaracer1501 View Post
Hey Franco,
It'll be hard for you to get any unbiased opinions on threads like this...might want to look at the individual thread for the cars you're looking at and see what actual owners are going through.

As far as Hara's championship winning car, he ran parts that are available to any of us, not all kinds of exotic one-off parts that some insist on
Lightning rear shock tower - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2731
Lightning 112mm shocks - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/29597

People are always gonna hate on the D8 for the fact that it won the championship and is not over $500. If it costed more, would people say the same? I sure hope you’re getting a much “better” car if it costs more! Also remember that there were FOUR of them in the finals which is more than any other manufacturer so that has some credibility to it but I am sure there is some excuse for that fact too.

As far as I know we all do the rc thing for fun. I’m sure the majority of us can afford to switch cars in a heartbeat . Does it really matter what buggy/truggy the guy next to you has?!!
Thank you for your information!!

This is the only mod on the car of Hara???

The D8 is an evolution of Lightning???

The light chassis is an option to have on the D8?

Other question hehe : The durability of plastic on D8 is good or is really cheap?
Xchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #56
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Thank you for your information!!

This is the only mod on the car of Hara???

The D8 is an evolution of Lightning???

The light chassis is an option to have on the D8?

Other question hehe : The durability of plastic on D8 is good or is really cheap?
The D8 doesn't include the lightened chassis and other lightened parts.

I'm not sure if they have done anything to correct this but when it first came out the plastic was buttery soft. Hence the completely solid arms to try to keep them stiff enough.

The new plastic on the losi 2.0's is alot better and alot stiffer than the 1.0 plastic was.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #57
Tech Adept

I'd go with the 8ight 2.0 if I were you

it is a great responsive car and it handles great

the plastic on it is pretty indestructible

it is really competitive straight out of the box

the only things that you may even look into is the adjustable Toe and Antisquat braces and the new smart diffs

that's the only thing you would need to buy to make that buggy even better than it is

I use to drive very cautiously before I got the 2.0 [well at least I drove that way in truggy] and now I'm a little more confident in what I can do and what the buggy will let you do and I think a lot of people have seen this thing even with a newer driver or driver from a different field like onroad or oval

I've seen the D8 run and I'm not impressed at the performance
I think that it's a well built buggy but still needs little things tweaked like the old 8ight needed that the 2.0 took care of
Old 02-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftProjectR View Post
i race for HB. so dont tell me something i already know. all chassis have there problems.

for instance. the losi 2.0 has front shock tower problems. earlier last month they stop production of the 2.0 front shock towers. they were making people buy the old 1.0 shock tower.

i have personally seen the losi snap the shock towers.

to each there own.

all i have to say to you buddy.....
sorry, that came out the wrong way. i have a D8 too. im on your side just trying to stick up for it
fatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #59
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you want a d8 there is one on rcuniverse.com for 260$ new in box.
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #60
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigedmond View Post
Im sorry. Get the losi.

The D8 everyone brags about winning the worlds isnt the car you buy. To get it close, you have to buy a new chassis, tons of lightened parts, a new rear shock tower(if you cna find it), and longer rear shocks.

Lets also look at the fact that Hara won with an engine that was still in testing.

Then to say, OH, well maybe his car had some mods, but the other were bone stock. My butt, you cant prove weather or not they were modified because so much attention went to towards hara's and the hotbodies hype machine saying, how his car was stock, no one had a chance to look at the other cars.

So yea, the D8 is 350 bucks, add another 200 in parts to get it competitive, and guess what you have. The price of a losi 8 2.0.

Hara is a great driver. It has the skills, and stamina to stand there and piss himself to win that level of race.

I dont know if i could do that.
ROFL. thats funny. hows your RC8 doing for you bud?

my d8 is doing fine at our club races John, ahead of most and its stock.

just bursting your bubble buddy.
BCE Design
Bodies By Scott
Lungsford Titantium
M2C Racing
DriftProjectR is offline   Reply With Quote