R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Fuel and engine break in (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/275032-fuel-engine-break.html)

hobdog 02-11-2009 10:15 PM

Fuel and engine break in

I am going to be breaking in a piston, sleeve and rod in my speed for this race season soon, and am looking for some opinions about fuel. I run Byrons race 30%, but I have read that some people during break in use fuel with a higher content of oil. My lhs carries blue thunder which has proven to leave the internals of the engines that have been running it much more lubricated then the Byrons, so I am thinking that it might be good to break the internals in on this and then switch to my normal fuel. What are the engine experts thoughts?

Owen RaCing 02-11-2009 10:18 PM

Run the byrons! If your carful and do it right theres not really any need to run a different fuel, especially not Blue Thunder! BT is junk!

ABURTON 02-12-2009 05:51 AM

Byrons is great fuel, if your running it now stick with it and no need to worry about extra oil or different fuel for your break in;)

scwrod 02-12-2009 09:57 AM

the Byrons Gen2 should come in 11% or 16% oil.
I use the 11 and have had great results. You will be fine

Maximo 02-12-2009 10:17 AM

Some of todays race fuels do not do very well for break in.... I am finding some of these fuels to lubricate too well, which results in an engine that needs multiple gallons of fuel to proper loosen up and break in.. OD is very bad for this, I have had engines that have almost as much metal/metal pinch after 1 gallon as they did brand new.... IMO its not the oil % that matters but rather the type of lubricants that are being used.. Myself I always use a lower grade fuel for break in, then switch over to the higher quality race fuels..I find my engines break in nicer over a shorter period of time, which results in less internal stress on the engine...IMO running an engine with the pinch too tight is not a good idea, it puts far too much wear and tear on the internals..... I am not sure what they are using these days, but some of these race fuels have amazing lubricants.. the two I know of first hand are the OD and Byron's Gen 2, with these fuels a good break in takes forever !

ldp787 02-12-2009 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by hobdog (Post 5421135)
I am going to be breaking in a piston, sleeve and rod in my speed for this race season soon, and am looking for some opinions about fuel. I run Byrons race 30%, but I have read that some people during break in use fuel with a higher content of oil. My lhs carries blue thunder which has proven to leave the internals of the engines that have been running it much more lubricated then the Byrons, so I am thinking that it might be good to break the internals in on this and then switch to my normal fuel. What are the engine experts thoughts?

Blue Thunder is a very good fuel, not sure exactly what model of BT your referring to but Blue Thunder HP8 is top notch fuel. Some people have an issue with the blue die, insignificant....

The question you have posed is kind of like asking people what car to get, 10people, 10 different answers.

Everybody has different breakin techniques, fuel, rpm, heat cycle, temp, etc,etc.....

For example, I run

Methanol /12% castor oil for break in

schpenxel 02-12-2009 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 5422641)
Some of todays race fuels do not do very well for break in.... I am finding some of these fuels to lubricate too well, which results in an engine that needs multiple gallons of fuel to proper loosen up and break in.. OD is very bad for this, I have had engines that have almost as much metal/metal pinch after 1 gallon as they did brand new.... IMO its not the oil % that matters but rather the type of lubricants that are being used.. Myself I always use a lower grade fuel for break in, then switch over to the higher quality race fuels..I find my engines break in nicer over a shorter period of time, which results in less internal stress on the engine...IMO running an engine with the pinch too tight is not a good idea, it puts far too much wear and tear on the internals..... I am not sure what they are using these days, but some of these race fuels have amazing lubricants.. the two I know of first hand are the OD and Byron's Gen 2, with these fuels a good break in takes forever !

Yep..same idea with most high performance car engines these days. People usually run cheapo non-synthetic oil for the first few hundred miles so the rings/bearings seat properly then go to an expensive synthetic. not doing this leads to an engine whose rings never seat and always burns oil, etc.

SPEED37 02-12-2009 12:25 PM

This is a subject of great debate.....there is a thread over at rc universe that IMO is the way to go. alot can be learned from fuelman... his post is the sixth one down and many more below that give it a look: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27..._1/key_/tm.htm

Losi Racing (= 02-12-2009 12:47 PM

How I break in my new losi 8

HEY GUYS I WANTED TO DROP A FEW LINES TO SAY THIS IS HOW AD WHAT KIND I USE...I RUN THE LOSI NITROTAME AND I START OUT WITH 20% NITROTAME RACE FUEL TO BREAK IT IN THEN MABY RUN ONE RACE WITH IT THEN I SWITCH IT OVER TO 30% AND IT WILL BREAK IT IN GREAT PM ME IF ANY QUESTIONS LATER......

Zerodefect 02-12-2009 02:24 PM

Blue thunder HP8 is White lightning with blue die added. Its good fuel. The other Blue thunder stuff is :weird:

I like to use fuel with 20% nitro and 10-12% oil. If its ten I add Klotz Benol Castor to get it to 12%.

Fuels with 12% oil allready in them I'll use if half of that oil is Synthetic and half is Klotz Benol. Fuels like this are Trinity Monster 20/12 and Wildcat 20/12.

I use an engine stand like the onroaders do. (they use $800 engines and can't take chances) I wrap the cooling head to create an atificially rich yet warm condition.

I run as slow as possible with the factory rich setting for 125cc with the ignitor on. (otherwise it'll stall, I use an adjustable ignitor and set it real low.)

Then I run the engine to about 230 degrees varying speed and throttle. May have to lean the settings some but keep it rich. Did this for 250cc.

Then now that the piston/sleeve are run-in some, I heat cycle the engine to help the conrod and bearings. I preheat, then run the engine to about 230 then shutdown. I do this five times.

Then I drop her in the car. Run her slightly rich for the next gallon and push her hard.

I didn't invent this..............

I prefere to run 20/12 Sidewinder all the time.