R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #106
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRO503 View Post
I understand what your saying , but i wonder how JR , Bushe , gordon and so forth would do sitting behind an F1? I think it all depends on what you have been brought up to do. Now Montoya has had his flashes of brilliance. If i had to pick though , i think F1 and Lemans would be the most wild ride out there. But Nascar is really cool too , and we see some great racing. Almost a different driver wins all the time.
A few years back Jeff Gordon was able to drive a F1 car at Indy when they had the US Grand Prix. A F1 driver was also able to drive Jeff Gordons stock car. Jeff Gordon ran lap times that would have qualified him for the F1 race and the F1 driver had a hard time getting the stock car up to speed. (The car was too heavy with no grip and no traction control) I think if you can wheel a heavy stock car you could just about get anything around a track. Remember the Sprint Cup runs two road races every year and the so called road racers try to come in and dominate but so far the regular Sprint Cup drivers win.
bcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:14 AM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrazy View Post
A few years back Jeff Gordon was able to drive a F1 car at Indy when they had the US Grand Prix. A F1 driver was also able to drive Jeff Gordons stock car. Jeff Gordon ran lap times that would have qualified him for the F1 race and the F1 driver had a hard time getting the stock car up to speed. (The car was too heavy with no grip and no traction control) I think if you can wheel a heavy stock car you could just about get anything around a track. Remember the Sprint Cup runs two road races every year and the so called road racers try to come in and dominate but so far the regular Sprint Cup drivers win.

That was tradin' paint with Jeff Gordon and Juan Pablo Montoya. Montoya couldn't come to terms with the NeckCar as it wouldn't brake or turn like anything he was used to. He was trying to throw it into turns like an F1 car. I don't believe Gordon ran that great of lap times, but he did say that the F1 car was incredibly difficult to drive and that he definitely thought F1 drivers had a much harder job.

R/C car racing is a hobby.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:47 AM   #108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast11970 View Post
Damn...I QUIT...What a Waste! All those spandex airfoils I ordered for nothin???
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #109
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'll really get something going here now... Dirt sprint car drivers are the top drivers... they drive the highest power to weight ratio cars (not counting pro drag cars) they can go from 15 mph to 120 mph in less than 1/2 mile making 2 turns on a dirt track.. put one of those pansie F1 drivers in one of those cars and see what happens.. better yet lets put a F1 driver in a LateModel over at Eldora when the Nascar Boys go there and see what happens.. If they can find one to go. Jaun has tried it but thats about it...sorry for going off text guys.. but when someone says F1 driver seems to be the top dog, I need to say something....
NDHotbodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #110
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As I've been reading this thread, the wife walked by and say's "where do you buy your parts, a sport's store or a hobby store?".

What ever you call it, it's a blast....
jazjato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #111
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazjato View Post
As I've been reading this thread, the wife walked by and say's "where do you buy your parts, a sport's store or a hobby store?".

+1 i think she is on to somthing....lol....
BAUSTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #112
Tech Addict

Quote:

I would say your wife is right...
NDHotbodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #113
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
That was tradin' paint with Jeff Gordon and Juan Pablo Montoya. Montoya couldn't come to terms with the NeckCar as it wouldn't brake or turn like anything he was used to. He was trying to throw it into turns like an F1 car. I don't believe Gordon ran that great of lap times, but he did say that the F1 car was incredibly difficult to drive and that he definitely thought F1 drivers had a much harder job.

R/C car racing is a hobby.
Yes that was actually the first Tradin Paint on Speed. It was several years ago I was still living in Las Vegas when that was on. I personally am not a Jeff Gordon fan but all I can remember is all his fans that I worked with bragged about how Gordon ran fast enough lap times to qualify for the Grand Prix. (I did watch a re-run a couple years back and seem to remember them saying his lap times were fast enough to qualify) I will have to look that episode up and re-watch it to be sure.
bcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #114

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

who cares, just go have fun. only reason people debate whether its a sport or not is b/c they have trouble with thought that others will not take them seriously b/c they enjoy playing with 'toy cars'.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #115
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Working Man View Post
I don't care what you call it. I like it!
And it costs a lot of money! It is an official sport otherwise EFRA, IFMAR, NORCCA won't excist! IFMAR is part of the FIA which is the sanctioned body of all carsports worldwide
Old 02-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #116
Tech Addict

I still think turn marshaling is closer to a sport than some things. I once took a buggy in the ribs that was going around 20-30 mph off a fast low flying jump. It knocked the wind out of me and bruised 3 ribs, almost put me down as I gasped for air. I think you have to have some pretty sure feet and quick reaction time out on the track to avoid injury. LOL!

Anyone here race downhill mountain bikes? Ummm,... now that is a psycho's sport, and I'd like to see a comparison done with MX racers vs Downhill racers.
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #117
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D. View Post
It still isn't called an enginesport. No matter how you look at it. If your in the USA it's called Motorsports.
That doesn't make it an actual word, or a sport.
ARPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #118
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrazy View Post
That was Juan Pablo Montoyta's car Jeffy was trying to drive, and I guess you overlooked that F-1 cars can "qualify" for a race by running within 110% of the laptime of the TQ. A similar time would have you packing the truck in NASCAR.
Oh, and Juan eventually made the transition to stock cars - meanwhile Jeffy's hardly won more NASCAR races since then than Juan has.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #119
Suspended

Quote:
As I've been reading this thread, the wife walked by and say's "where do you buy your parts, a sport's store or a hobby store?"
Good point.
I remember my wife coming to her first RC race, and she almost left after she thought there was me and a bunch of other guys lining the rail of the driver's stand having a peeing contest.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #120
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy View Post
I still think turn marshaling is closer to a sport than some things. I once took a buggy in the ribs that was going around 20-30 mph off a fast low flying jump. It knocked the wind out of me and bruised 3 ribs, almost put me down as I gasped for air. I think you have to have some pretty sure feet and quick reaction time out on the track to avoid injury.
So you're saying you don't have sure feet and quick reations?