Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is RC a "Sport" or a "Hobby"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

maybe back in the earlier days say 80s I always considered it as a hobby , getting out with ya mates and bashing around on some driveway or backyard, now its different, yes there are probably people who still bash in the backyard etc but the level of seriousness the level of competion is so high, some say its not physical which is true when there is no actual body movement but I can tell you that after a 30 min main or even 4 lots of 5 min qualys I am stuffed, mentally drained and that then makes me now think that rc racing has entered the area of being classified as a sport. Either way its definately very addictive and heaps of fun.
cheers
Old 02-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fast11970
Ummm, I understand the differance... I was just trying to use a coined term...Yes, Moters are driven or actuated by Either ac or dc currents, Engines are typically fired by a combustable, then there is external coumbustion..or Internal combustion, But what about steam? Hmmm, Train Engines are technically Moters, Not engines...Although there is the Diesel Locomotive Engine....Ok...I see the Haiirs...Thanks for splitting them.
Hey, you were the one that picked a coined term (it's not a word, motorsport isn't even in the dictionary) and split hairs by insisting since the term existed it must be a sport.
Who brought trains, or racing them, into the discussion?

Originally Posted by Alan D.
Right.
So that's why NASCAR is called an Enginesport right.
WRONG
He is right by using the term Motorsport.
You have your facts wrong.
My bad professor, that's why they call that thing in engine compartment
an Internal Combustion Motor in all those NASCAR cars and trucks.

Last edited by ARPY; 02-13-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by nexxus
I've raced V6 and V8 cars at a club level around 3-4 yrs ago and next to that, RC cars is definately NOT a sport, it's a hobby.

What physical effort / training is required for RC, I mean besides getting your "trigger finger" in shape?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ARPY
Hey, you were the one that picked a coined term (it's not a word, motorsport isn't even in the dictionary) and split hairs by insisting since the term existed it must be a sport.
Who brought trains, or racing them, into the discussion?

My bad professor, that's why they call that thing in engine compartment
an Internal Combustion Motor in all those NASCAR cars and trucks.
It still isn't called an enginesport. No matter how you look at it. If your in the USA it's called Motorsports.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default the correct title

it a passtime.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

To put this to rest, it's actually a "SPOBBY". a sport to the serious racer, and a hobby to the average Joe.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
To put this to rest, it's actually a "SPOBBY". a sport to the serious racer, and a hobby to the average Joe.
+1. If only if it was that easy. But there are people saying that sports have to be physically exerting.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I used to do off-road desert racing in sportsman truck class and have done such races as the Baja 1000 & San Felipe 250, etc. I don't know if rc can really be put in the same category. I used to hit the gym and did lots of cardio so that my body could take the punishment and so that mentally I wouldn't wear down as fast...in fact, I was in the driver seat for 10 hours during my last race. My guess is that doing any type of cardio vs. eating cheeseburgers everyday would not impact my ability (or lack of) on the drivers stand while I pilot my buggy on the track.

RC sure is fun, a lot less time consuming and lot easier on the wallet though!

Last edited by bajaracer1501; 02-13-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
+1. If only if it was that easy. But there are people saying that sports have to be physically exerting.
man, anyone who has run an hour long main should know that it get pretty exerting, especially when you have to marshall an hour long main afterwards!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
man, anyone who has run an hour long main should know that it get pretty exerting, especially when you have to marshall an hour long main afterwards!
LOL true. I just got done racing a 45 minute main event on virtual rc. Im mentally drained now and all I did was sit down with my radio for 45 minutes!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

There is two different types. Racing can be considered a sport. Bashing, is more of a hobby. This is what I think anyways.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are numbers odd, or just different?

Seriously though, what is the "power" of the word "sport"?

It for sure as hell isn't a "game" is it?

What about a passtime?

Hobby?

Its everything!!

"sport" is just a word thrown around by people who have pride and competitively participate with their activity, "hobby" is a word thrown around by people who simply just have fun with their activity. At least, that is the way i see it.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Desease, Addiction, Compitition, Extream Hobby, WannaBees..Oh well all I care is I'm haveing fun!!! and my spell check aint working...
Old 02-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

R/C racing is a sport, its competitive. In this sport a body builder can have his tale handed to him by a 16 year old kid. Sorry if your biceps, tights and perfect hair doesnt mean a thing here. Men in tights grabbing at each other and getting slapped on the tale doesnt happen very often at our local tracks...
Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dcracing
R/C racing is a sport, its competitive. In this sport a body builder can have his tale handed to him by a 16 year old kid. Sorry if your biceps, tights and perfect hair doesnt mean a thing here. Men in tights grabbing at each other and getting slapped on the tale doesnt happen very often at our local tracks...

Damn...I QUIT...What a Waste! All those spandex airfoils I ordered for nothin???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.