R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #46
Suspended

If marshalling had anything to do with it either way then it would be considered into the results. The better drivers don't need near the marshalling of the hacks, so does that mean the hacks are better since they need more marshalling and do more than the guys in the upper mains?
ARPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

As of now for me it is a hobby because I dont really race. Also I dont think that some peoples perception of sport a spot is correct. I dont think that a sport has to be really tough and hard on your body to be called a real sport. Also I think that golf is a sport. It is physically exerting also. After your 18th hole you have to be somewhat tired. I think carryng your bag makes golf defanately a sport. also you have to know so much more than any other sport to be good at it. You have to know wind strength, yardage, ball flight, fade and draw, etc..
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I must agree with JEFFRO503

As I have played Hockey for about 20 years now I have traveled to 48 out of the 50 state playing and also have a career ending injury and resulted in brain surgery. I have been racing rc for about two years now and as I love racing rc I do not beleave it is a sport but it is the best hobby I have ever done.
smittyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #49
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to BrettL
Default Who Cares?

Who cares? It's fun!
BrettL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #50
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladconnery View Post
Actually it's classified as a drug. The purchasing of vehicles, engines & parts. To achieve a high or satisfy an addiction. Each new vehicle or engine is an effort to achieve a higher high. Each race or Bash party is to feed the monkey on ones back.
thats how i see it fricken monkey is bleedin me dry

PERFORMANCE RC, Burlington WA 360-755-7084/360-755-9464
slidejob26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Playing with R/C cars is indeed fun, but no, it doesn't involve any physical activity, stranuous or otherwise, so it's not a sport.

I enjoy it as much as the next guy, but at the end of the day, even when the "pros" compete for the ultimate championship of the universe, to me it's still just a bunch of (quasi) grown men playing with toy cars.

...And there ain't nothin' wrong with that!
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #52
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladconnery
Actually it's classified as a drug. The purchasing of vehicles, engines & parts. To achieve a high or satisfy an addiction. Each new vehicle or engine is an effort to achieve a higher high. Each race or Bash party is to feed the monkey on ones back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidejob26 View Post
thats how i see it fricken monkey is bleedin me dry
Amen, you hit it on the head....My name is Jody...and I'm an addict
Losi 8ight.....Dynamite Platinum 21XP..........JR8800T's
www.trackseekers.com
yaright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #53
Tech Elite

It started out as a hobby........but eventually the racing took over. It is racing. Not real cars, but racing all the same. Close enough to be a sport. Shoot, we even bet on it, and the bmain is on more drugs than the Yankees.

Since when is physical exertion required for it to be a sport. The goalie in hockey/soccar just stands there. The owner of a Nascar team sits around, wears headphones, and gets fat. Is he still a sportsman. Mark Martin drives with one hand (and he's like 85 years old.)! Hard work there.

Its a given that Motorcross is the most intense sport ever, but I'd hardly discount other sports. My CRF450r is terrifing. Absolutly terrifing.

Oh and since y'all brought it up, Nascar has as much In common with real racing as RC. Its like watching pro wrestling only with fake headlight and mechanics named Bubba. Even my stinkin' model car deosn't have fake headlights and its a fake car! Peel those darn things off. I'm not even gonna get started with hillbilly wind chimes, boogedy,boogedy,boogedy, and restrictor plates, wtf 185mph at Daytona? I've driven faster than that in a car that still had plates on! Go fast, turn left....not go at a speed easy and safe to drive and turn left!

Get yourself some Formula 1, American Lemans, WRC, etc. you'll feel better for it.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #54
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff alessi View Post
i never thought rc was a sport because a sport to me has always been something thats physically demanding like soccer and football, but thinking of it more that would mean golf and nascar wouldnt be a sport either. when someone asks me what i do i say im a "sports athlete" cause i race dirt bikes for a career but when someone asks ryan cavalieri what he does saying a sports athlete wouldnt be what he is but he does something that takes a lot of skill. so in my opinion its a hobby for me, but for the big name drivers i would say its there sport.

jeff801

Hey Jeff, keep it up on the track man, looks like your startin' to get the supercross thing figured out. Good luck with the rest of the supercross season and the outdoors. And keep runnin those rc's too

PERFORMANCE RC, Burlington WA 360-755-7084/360-755-9464
slidejob26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #55
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree w/ jefro503 & jeff alessi . Coming from an mx background & now racing rc I think it is a hobby. My son is now racing rc some as he has to have shoulder surgery. He says while rc is fun it's nothing like mx. Now he does race mx at a high level & is just having fun w/ rc so, since he is not serious about rc it's just a hobby to him. I guess it's just who you talk to. People are always saying about mx all you do is sit on the bike & turn the gas or, you have to practice to race dirtbikes ? We tell them come to the track use our practice bike & try to keep up see how easy it is. Hey jeff alessi good luck for the rest of sx & upcoming outdoors. When you guys coming back to georgia ? We haven't met but are fans of yours & mikes.
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #56
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Its a given that Motorcross is the most intense sport ever, but I'd hardly discount other sports. My CRF450r is terrifing. Absolutly terrifing.
You've obiously never seen a game of rugby or rugby leage played.

imagine american football with no pads, the players don't stop every time they get tackled and the team does everything attack, defence and kicking

I've raced motocross (12years) and played competitive rugby and there is no comparision, rugby is 100% more intense

going on some of the comments here anything that involves a vehicle should not be classed as a sport as the vehicle is doing most of the work.

as for R/C racing not being pyhsically demanding have you ever come off the stand after a extremely close hour long A final, it's not just your brian hurting from concentration your legs ache from standing in 1 place and your arms go numb sometimes

My thoughts are if you race and only race then it's a sport, if you use you R/c outside of racing just for fun and not competitively then it's a hobby, and this goes for motorcross too as some people race their bikes others just thrash them for fun and call it their "hobby"

Hey and and long as your enjoying yourself wether it's your sport or your hobby who cares

Adrian

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #57
Tech Elite

i just do it so i can checkout gq's wife.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #58
Tech Regular

I feel as though its a sport for me. I'm part of a full scale race team, (dirt latemodels) and i get the same "high" from being part of that crew, than i do when i'm racing RC. It's just as involved, just as demanding, and just as hard to race competitively in RC as 1:1. i take both just as seriously. RC is more FUN but just as serious as the 1:1 car. now this is for me. I have other family members that just bash around the yard and to them its a hobby so. It's all in the eye of the beholder!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #59
Suspended

Football is a sport.
Madden 09 football is not a sport.
Paper football is not a sport.

Real car racing is a sport.
Video game racing is not a sport.
RC car racing is not a sport.

Great hobby but definately not a sport.
ARPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #60
Tech Legend