R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

LOL! I don't know what it is with me and O.S.! I've just never had good luck with them. Bearings seem to go out fast and they just don't seem to last. Maybe it's just me! Thanks for all the suggestions though guys, keep them coming! Amain has a $25 off coupon for orders $250 or more so I think I will take advantage of that if I can make up my mind!
shotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotime View Post
LOL! I don't know what it is with me and O.S.! I've just never had good luck with them. Bearings seem to go out fast and they just don't seem to last. Maybe it's just me! Thanks for all the suggestions though guys, keep them coming! Amain has a $25 off coupon for orders $250 or more so I think I will take advantage of that if I can make up my mind!
My 2 favorite engine manufacturers are OS and novarossi (this includes RB engines which are made by Nova). If you don't want an OS then I would definately look at a nova.

Here are some that I would consider.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/32805
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4864
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/28940
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/23020

Those are IMO the elite non OS truggy Engines.

I would stick with a .21 myself. They provide more than enough power for today's truggies and get much better fuel milage. Not to mention that they are smoother and have a much more usable powerband. I don't know about these new .25 and .24 engines, they could be amazing but I would still stick with a .21. There is no way the bigger engines get the same fuel milage as the .21's do, and why sacrifice fuel milage when you already have plenty of power.

Edit: if you like 7 port engines look at the nova plus 21-7fms. This is probably the fastest 7 port engine I have seen. Would be very suited to a truggy.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

The Trinity Extech .21 and .24 would both be good choices. I get 10+ on mine and it's not even at full race tune yet. They are easy to tune and have a VERRRRRY smooth powerband. Plus the top end will scare you. Throw a P4 in and slap on a big boy pipe and you are money.
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've only tried 2 different motors at Rev when I had an 8T. 21-5kt and 821b both hot modded by Jim at Fusion. I liked the smoothness of the 21-5kt yet it has enough bottom to clear the variety of jumps with short run ups. The 821b was an animal and can really make a truggy boogie down the straightaways.
bajaracer1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

A local sponsored driver had a Jx Ninja .21 and said my sons Go .25 was leaving him off the corner so bad he would never run a .21 in truggy again. This was at his own track, it had rained and was tacky. The guy is now running an Extech .24. It really depends on your track and driving skills how much motor you need.
It's amazing how many people recommend an Os product after Shotime said he didn't want one.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #21
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

I really wish kendall would have wheeled the jpx the last race.....i honestly feel that the tweeked version is Just as powerful if not More then one of the tweeked .24's or .25's.....we tested the .25 back in the summer and they had jam...but comparing to the JPX it wasn't all there.....im sure if we spent more time with it we could have gotten more....but ya.....just wanted to throw that in there.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #22
Tech Adept

It does appear that the .24 and the .25 engines have become more and more popular. I would never run a .28 since the run time is nothing near a .21 engine. I think with the .24 or .25 you can achieve the needed bottom end for a truggy and still get great top end and run time that you get with a .21 engine. Sounds like the .24 or .25 may be the way to go.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default go

G'day mate i would suggest the go .25 Down here at Morphett Vale i have seen people get 8-10 minutes run time out of em. They have great power all round and from what i have heard they are fairly easy to tune.
That's just my 2 cents!
Funking-Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:05 AM   #24
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Racer View Post
We have ran a Mach .28, p5x, 421b, in a truggy. The best hands down has been the Go .25, tons of bottom but gets almost .21 mileage, pitting at 7.5 minutes is no problem. All for just over $200.00

Rex
thats it? runnin rich i never had an engine run less then that.

i know u said no os and i sorta agree but it works well in the 8ight-t. my os rodblew after 3/4th of a gallon. os will replace the rod but not the piston and sleeve that the rod messed up

the .21 grp and the nova +4 works well in the truggy. im runnin the grp currently until i get my os fixed and i love it. i can do 11 min EASY

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:43 AM   #25
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

My vote is for GRP. And if you wanna save a boatload of cash pick up the non-tuned version .21 with the silver head. This engine runs great with a dynamite 007 pipe and still gets me right at 10 minute run times.......
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 AM   #26
Tech Rookie

For truggy i recomend RB C6 tons of power. Huge bottom very good top end and the fuel cnsuption really good. THis engine also Novarossi quality(for buggy could be to much power). I don't recommend grp for truggy for me this is good engine for buggy.
zieluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:37 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Myself I find the best performance from a modified Picco .21....bottom end that feels like a 28 and a top end that would make many onroad engines jealous...even stock these engines bang pretty good and make an excelent Truggy engine...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #28
Tech Adept

I think I'm starting to lean toward the Trinity ExTech "II" Pre-Run "Full Modded" .21 engine. I'm just wondering if I should go .21 or .24? Amain has either for $299 and they have a $25 off coupon for orders $250 and up. I'm wondering if the .24 is to much for a losi-t since is a bit smaller than other truggy's. What do you guys think? For what I've read, the .21 is a monster and the .24 is a monster on PCP!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotime View Post
I think I'm starting to lean toward the Trinity ExTech "II" Pre-Run "Full Modded" .21 engine. I'm just wondering if I should go .21 or .24? Amain has either for $299 and they have a $25 off coupon for orders $250 and up. I'm wondering if the .24 is to much for a losi-t since is a bit smaller than other truggy's. What do you guys think? For what I've read, the .21 is a monster and the .24 is a monster on PCP!
Chances are either engine will do awesome for you ! Truth be told none of todays race engines are truly "monsters"..with the exception of a few .28's most of todays engines are tuned to be fast on lower traction track surfaces...When dyno tests are done all of the top engines make very similar power, there is the odd exception but for the most part all of these engines are smooth and drivable...Pick the brand you like and find the engine in their lineup that matches you needs...regardless of the hype none of these engines really stand head and shoulders above the rest, truth be told if a manufacturer put too much power into a engine it would become harder to drive and in the end would win less races.....People tend to exaggerate when they talk about an engines performance next to its competitors, but the fact is offroad engines are not built with maximum performance in mind...smooth power delivery and good fuel economy are much more desirable characteristics then raw power and speed.... If your truly looking for a monster of an engine then look towards a hand cut modified engine, my personal choice is the Picco line to use as a base..with the correct sleeve and crank timing changes these engines are truly what I would consider " Monsters" in every sense of the word... However be warned these engines can be hard to handle and in many cases will get you in trouble more then anything else... However if its a true monster your looking for these engines will make a tuned Ex-Tech look like a little baby Kitten.... Its my experience most racers may say they want a monster, but in reality they really need a kitten, in many cases too much power is worse then not having enough power...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

maximo....

Very well said. Good post !!!
Unsober1 is offline   Reply With Quote