R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #61
Tech Master
 
Merciless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,027
Send a message via ICQ to Merciless
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg33k View Post
Wow, the Xray nutswingers are in FULL effect in this thread. These types of threads are generally useless because you get a bunch of fan boys that want to validate their purchase by stating that they car they own is ABSOLUTELY the best. Any one of the cars mentioned in the original question are very capable, durable cars and you'd do well at any track with any one of them.

If I were to steer you away from any one of them, it would be the Xray - the parts support is abysmal. I don't want to have to mail order all my parts because few or none of the local hobby shops carry replacement parts on the wall. The Xray is a very good car on par with Mugen and Kyosho, but they don't have as much support from the tracks and hobby shops. Before the Xray fans get their panties in a knot, many of the local hobby shops have said that they have a very difficult time getting replacement parts - they're always on backorder. This has been the case for years, not just recently. It's not that they haven't tried to get the parts - they simply can't get the orders filled well enough to support the customers.

I'll say again for the benefit of the nutswingers that I agree the Xray is a very good car. The Kyosho and Mugen are also VERY GOOD cars. The bottom line is, check out the closest hobby shop and see what they carry for replacement parts - that would be the best choice because you're going to be quickly frustrated if you buy a car that doesn't have much local support. You can win with any of the cars you mentioned as long as you know how to tune it and drive it.

Don't let the fan boys persuade you in your decision. It's like walking into a room of BMW owners and asking "what's the best car?" The answer is most likely going to be along the lines of the car they own. There seems to be a few rabid fans on this site, but take it for what it's worth.

I've had good experience with obtaining parts for my 808. Recently I ordered a bunch of parts with my LHS on a monday. Some they had on the wall others they had to order in ( caster blocks in optional angles etc. ) I recieved the complete order BEFORE the weekend including the parts they had to get in from the distrubuter.

MAYBE i'm just lucky, maybe I use a good model shop , maybe it's cause I live in the UK , Maybe your simply wrong I don't know. POOR parts support is not something I've not suffered though.

Rod

Last edited by Merciless; 02-16-2009 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #62
Tech Addict
 
Steve Walters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
I've had good experience with obtaining parts for my 808. Recently I ordered a bunch of parts with my LHS on a monday. Some they had on the wall others they had to order in ( caster blocks in optional angles etc. ) I recieved the complete order BEFORE the weekend including the parts they had to get in from the distrubuter.

MAYBE i'm just lucky, maybe I use a good model shop , maybe it's cause I live in the UK , Maybe your simply wrong I don't know. POOR parts support is not something I've not suffered though.

Rod
+1

I haven't had any issues with finding 808 parts.(AT ALL) When there's a new part or a upgraded one, it can take a little longer to receive it, but theirs not a RC company thats any different when they do the same. There 4 to 5 On-line shops that carry all the 808 parts in there inventory. Some may be out from time to time, but 95% of the time, I can find it at another shop. Basing a decision on lack of parts availability for the 808 would be a poor mistake. Granted your local H-shop may not carry 808 parts, but typically parts can be mail-ordered/shipped in a couple days. My local H-shop doesn't either, but I can them order parts, and receive them in a couple days..
__________________
"CVR" Central Valley Raceway (Madera, CA)
Team "WTF" Racing member
TEAM BCE (Product/Field Tester)

X-Ray 808 (Active Diff)
BCE 8X8 Pro Chassis
OS Speed (XCustoms Head Mod)
Hitec 5995TG (S&T)
M11 & Spectrum.

Last edited by Steve Walters; 02-16-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Steve Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #63
Tech Adept
 
Alffa164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 221
Default

Cant wait for the 2009 version to be available!
Alffa164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #64
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,854
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Parts support is overrated. I get every part I need for my 808 in two days. Three at most. I usually order from Amain. They have every part you could need. The other thing to keep in mind is that the 808 is hands down the toughest buggy on the market. You won't need parts support because you won't be breaking much. I got $100 bucks of unopened spare parts in my tool box. I have only had to replace a cracked diff case after hitting a wall full speed head on. The 808 is the only car I have no qualms racing without any spare parts with me.

My rc8 on the other hand... damn car broke if the wind blew too hard.
__________________
Cars I've Owned: Tekno EB48 & SCT410, AE 8.2e, AE SC10 4x4, MBX6e Tekno V4, Xray 808e, Xray 8Te, Losi 810e, Losi SCTE 4x4, Losi 22, Hot Bodies Ve8, Losi 8te, and plenty of Traxxas

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #65
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg33k View Post
Wow, the Xray nutswingers are in FULL effect in this thread. These types of threads are generally useless because you get a bunch of fan boys that want to validate their purchase by stating that they car they own is ABSOLUTELY the best. Any one of the cars mentioned in the original question are very capable, durable cars and you'd do well at any track with any one of them.

If I were to steer you away from any one of them, it would be the Xray - the parts support is abysmal. I don't want to have to mail order all my parts because few or none of the local hobby shops carry replacement parts on the wall. The Xray is a very good car on par with Mugen and Kyosho, but they don't have as much support from the tracks and hobby shops. Before the Xray fans get their panties in a knot, many of the local hobby shops have said that they have a very difficult time getting replacement parts - they're always on backorder. This has been the case for years, not just recently. It's not that they haven't tried to get the parts - they simply can't get the orders filled well enough to support the customers.

I'll say again for the benefit of the nutswingers that I agree the Xray is a very good car. The Kyosho and Mugen are also VERY GOOD cars. The bottom line is, check out the closest hobby shop and see what they carry for replacement parts - that would be the best choice because you're going to be quickly frustrated if you buy a car that doesn't have much local support. You can win with any of the cars you mentioned as long as you know how to tune it and drive it.

Don't let the fan boys persuade you in your decision. It's like walking into a room of BMW owners and asking "what's the best car?" The answer is most likely going to be along the lines of the car they own. There seems to be a few rabid fans on this site, but take it for what it's worth.
True the nutswingers are in effect, but when a piece of machinery improves your racing, finishes, and fun you tend to talk about it. I finished 21 main events in a row last year without a DNF running that 808. I actually broke 4 parts in a year of racing and all of them happened in practice. So as an official nutswinger, I say get an Xray, you wont need many parts. You can stock a few parts and bearings and you will be good all year. Also my 1 set of servos lasted all year in this car, unlike a car I used to run (I think you guys know what car that was).

I've driven quite a few buggies, even some Pro drivers rides, but none feel as good as my 808. Have you ever driven a bugy that felt better than yours? Well, that wont happen if your running the 808. Period!

Swingin and proud!
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #66
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alffa164 View Post
Since someone talked about basic cars... has anyone heard any coments on the LRP Buggy? I think it is being sold in the US as Z-Car branded!?!?!?!? Its 100% german engineering and seems to be they are really popular in Europe.

I was just wondering because it seems to be really well built.
Nonsense. It's designed and manufactured in Taiwan by SH Engines (Golden Lion Enterprises).
rcg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #67
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 142
Default

You've all brilliantly made my point for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
MAYBE i'm just lucky, maybe I use a good model shop, maybe it's cause I live in the UK , Maybe your simply wrong I don't know. POOR parts support is not something I've not suffered though.

Rod
That's a pretty stupid comment. It's an observation based on visits to many otherwise well stocked hobby shops within our area. I don't know how that could be right or wrong, it just "is."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
[LEFT]Parts support is overrated... The 808 is the only car I have no qualms racing without any spare parts with me.

My rc8 on the other hand... damn car broke if the wind blew too hard.
I don't even remotely agree with statement about parts support. It's rare that you have every part all the time and can plan for your parts needs in advance. It's nice to be able to walk into the shop an pull a part off the wall when you need it. And, unless you've raced every car extensively, you statement about racing without spare parts is pretty unqualified. I'm sure I can find many fanboys of other brands that would say the same thing, and it would be equally unqualified. I do agree about the RC8, however.

To those that would still pick the Xray, I agree with you. It's a good car and worthy of consideration. I would also pick either of the other two cars - they're both great. The difference for me is, if I can walk into the shop and get the parts that I didn't anticipate I would need, then it's going to have an edge over another car of the same caliber that doesn't have any parts on the wall. We have three VERY well stocked hobby shops in our little corner of the world here, and the only one of the three mentioned that doesn't have parts on the wall is Xray. That means my decision would be between the remaining two. It's not an insult, nor doesn't it mean that you're less intelligent for having bought the Xray. But, If you can't admit that parts supply in your area would be an advantage of ownership, then you have too fragile an ego to offer a useful opinion to someone looking for unbiased guidance.
rcg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #68
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Underground, Ohio
Posts: 4,305
Default

Parts support?? Whats that??

I have none. Even have to order Traxxas stuff!!111!11!!
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #69
Tech Regular
 
lucky2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: plantation florida
Posts: 486
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to lucky2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy View Post
True the nutswingers are in effect, but when a piece of machinery improves your racing, finishes, and fun you tend to talk about it. I finished 21 main events in a row last year without a DNF running that 808. I actually broke 4 parts in a year of racing and all of them happened in practice. So as an official nutswinger, I say get an Xray, you wont need many parts. You can stock a few parts and bearings and you will be good all year. Also my 1 set of servos lasted all year in this car, unlike a car I used to run (I think you guys know what car that was).

I've driven quite a few buggies, even some Pro drivers rides, but none feel as good as my 808. Have you ever driven a bugy that felt better than yours? Well, that wont happen if your running the 808. Period!

Swingin and proud!
r we using the L word i have only replaced arm fr & r and it it was my own mistake, i bought extra car for parts and i havent even needed it .
lucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #70
Tech Regular
 
lucky2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: plantation florida
Posts: 486
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to lucky2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg33k View Post
You've all brilliantly made my point for me.



That's a pretty stupid comment. It's an observation based on visits to many otherwise well stocked hobby shops within our area. I don't know how that could be right or wrong, it just "is."



I don't even remotely agree with statement about parts support. It's rare that you have every part all the time and can plan for your parts needs in advance. It's nice to be able to walk into the shop an pull a part off the wall when you need it. And, unless you've raced every car extensively, you statement about racing without spare parts is pretty unqualified. I'm sure I can find many fanboys of other brands that would say the same thing, and it would be equally unqualified. I do agree about the RC8, however.

To those that would still pick the Xray, I agree with you. It's a good car and worthy of consideration. I would also pick either of the other two cars - they're both great. The difference for me is, if I can walk into the shop and get the parts that I didn't anticipate I would need, then it's going to have an edge over another car of the same caliber that doesn't have any parts on the wall. We have three VERY well stocked hobby shops in our little corner of the world here, and the only one of the three mentioned that doesn't have parts on the wall is Xray. That means my decision would be between the remaining two. It's not an insult, nor doesn't it mean that you're less intelligent for having bought the Xray. But, If you can't admit that parts supply in your area would be an advantage of ownership, then you have too fragile an ego to offer a useful opinion to someone looking for unbiased guidance.

this statement is well thought out and to the point, and i agree if u cant get parts what good is the car. but i believe this was about cars and quality. and any fanboy about his or hers is going to say mine is the best. heres one ive driven every new car from all companies mbx6 mp9 d8 rc8 losi v2. and i owned a mugen 6 im with 808 by choice parts no parts done.
lucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #71
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Who cares! Race what you race, buy what you buy..support what you support..Can we please stop fighting over stupid shit like toy cars
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #72
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Who cares! Race what you race, buy what you buy..support what you support..Can we please stop fighting over stupid shit like toy cars
The Jazinator puts the smack down.... LOL! Nice!

The topic was about "Quality"....! Then your answer is Xray.
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #73
Tech Adept
 
Alffa164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 221
Default

Hahahahah... funny.

Thats right, the question was quality and best buy.

Anyway, i have to e-shop parts for any of the above mentioned buggies. I am in the exact same situation as zerodefect... even traxxas parts have to be ordered for me. The good thing is that i can order parts from Amain and i get them in 3 days max plus i saved myselfe a trip to the hobby shop plus i get points for every purchased that can be redeemed on my future orders. Same with towerhobbies (for my monster trucks).
Alffa164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #74
Tech Adept
 
Alffa164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg33k View Post
Nonsense. It's designed and manufactured in Taiwan by SH Engines (Golden Lion Enterprises).
Yeah, yeah... i know now. I got envolved by this buggy because i thought it was 100% a "german shepard" as I saw it as LRP. After investigating i found out this is made in Taiwan by SH. Ive never had experience with SH, i have a LRP .28 engine which is one of the top engines in its class.

Well, that thing really looks well built and hobby people has it for 199.99

Sorry, i was just wondering if this thing can be any good?
Alffa164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #75
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy View Post
The Jazinator puts the smack down.... LOL! Nice!

The topic was about "Quality"....! Then your answer is Xray.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to Smack anyone

With todays economy and people losing their Jobs, Cars, and Houses..we should feel fortunate that we have $2000 toys to play with, some of us have several!...all I'm saying is keep it in perspective and keep it fun, and please try not to turn every friggin thread into a war
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:17 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net