R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to lucky2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
I believe the later 808 kits have virtually all the updates "in the box". I bought mine right in front of christmas, I believe I have all the updated parts barring :

Shock boots and caps
Revised Air Filter set-up
New Body

If I coulda picked up my kit of Amain for the sorta discount you guys are talking, I'd be doing it again for sure

808 is an awesome piece of kit, only ran mine for a little over 5mins on track so far as my circuit is in the middle of a major overhaul. But what can I say, coming from a Losi it lacks a tad of steering both on and off power, but thats all in the set-up. What amazed me is just how much more composed it is and more settled, simply amazing. I think I'd be faster with the 808 as is, But being as I hadn't made any set-up adjustments at that point I feel there's so much more ability in the buggy to explore

Quality wise. Xray's in there own league. Mugen is good, haven't had a Kyosho. Losi well i'm sorry but it appears to be made on a tight budget and for me was akin to swiss cheese. Great on track I really liked it, But It felt like i needed my own parts truck, nothing broke just play gets into EVERYTHING so damn fast.

Rod
try adding billet spindles i got about ten points of steering on my epa more with those over composite
lucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #47
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Thanks for the tip, I may try that. I don't really like the alloy spindles though as in the past I've managed to bend them in a shunt, you get weird handling and it CAN be very hard to spot the bent spindle as the issue.(this was when racing touring car)

At present I'm getting far to much rear squat under acceleration also, So i'm thinking a harder rear spring and maybe a 5wt jump in oil will fix both issue's.

Rod
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:21 AM   #48
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I may try that. I don't really like the alloy spindles though as in the past I've managed to bend them in a shunt, you get weird handling and it CAN be very hard to spot the bent spindle as the issue.(this was when racing touring car)

At present I'm getting far to much rear squat under acceleration also, So i'm thinking a harder rear spring and maybe a 5wt jump in oil will fix both issue's.

Rod
try the blue gray or raise ride height on r this car is very funny about ride height ive found. also check out roccos setup it works really well
Old 02-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #49
Tech Master

it is in the setup, my 808 has all the steering i need. turn in and rolling threw the center is planted.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:39 AM   #50
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

thanks guys,

I believe the first thing I said about the condition was it's set-up and that the buggy had only been ontrack for around 5mins, first time ontrack too.

That said the Rear is now set 2mm higher than the front, first time out they were equal. I've got the Blue/grays on it although front and rear as I felt it was needing that, I increased the oils from 42.5 front / 30 rear to 45 front and 35 rear, I dropped in inner camber link location to the bottom mounting front and rear for reduced roll (it also seems to be a universal settign looking at the pro set-up sheets from the UK) lastly I increased the front toe out from 1deg to 2deg.

That little lot should make a difference

Rod
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #51
Tech Regular

Default 808

Quote:
thanks guys,

I believe the first thing I said about the condition was it's set-up and that the buggy had only been ontrack for around 5mins, first time ontrack too.

That said the Rear is now set 2mm higher than the front, first time out they were equal. I've got the Blue/grays on it although front and rear as I felt it was needing that, I increased the oils from 42.5 front / 30 rear to 45 front and 35 rear, I dropped in inner camber link location to the bottom mounting front and rear for reduced roll (it also seems to be a universal settign looking at the pro set-up sheets from the UK) lastly I increased the front toe out from 1deg to 2deg.

That little lot should make a difference

Rod

that should give u faster turn in and i caught the first time out just givin info ive found but im not in uk so set up will vary abit good luck with it....
Old 02-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #52
Tech Adept

Ok, this is my veredict after reading a lot:

Car ---- Engineering ---- Quality and costumer compromise

Xray ---- Ferrari / Maclaren F1 ---- Maybach (Mercedes-Benz top of the top)

Mugen ---- Porshe ---- BMW M series

Kyosho ---- Corvette ---- Corvette

And Atsushi Hara is Shumacher driving a D8!!

hahahah... correct me if i am wrong!!!
Alffa164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #53
Tech Regular

Default thread over

i guess this thread has now ended 808 it is good choice
Old 02-16-2009, 04:29 AM   #54
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2 View Post
i guess this thread has now ended 808 it is good choice
it is certainly is , but what i realise is being a non pro, i just love having different car to see how it handles.
i was tempted to but 2 mbx6 or 808, but as such these things never break so whats the point.

most damages are like servos and servo horns in my view

and i still do hold on the fact that any pro driver can drive a basic babao 8.5 and trash me!!
muaythai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #55
Tech Adept

Wow, the Xray nutswingers are in FULL effect in this thread. These types of threads are generally useless because you get a bunch of fan boys that want to validate their purchase by stating that they car they own is ABSOLUTELY the best. Any one of the cars mentioned in the original question are very capable, durable cars and you'd do well at any track with any one of them.

If I were to steer you away from any one of them, it would be the Xray - the parts support is abysmal. I don't want to have to mail order all my parts because few or none of the local hobby shops carry replacement parts on the wall. The Xray is a very good car on par with Mugen and Kyosho, but they don't have as much support from the tracks and hobby shops. Before the Xray fans get their panties in a knot, many of the local hobby shops have said that they have a very difficult time getting replacement parts - they're always on backorder. This has been the case for years, not just recently. It's not that they haven't tried to get the parts - they simply can't get the orders filled well enough to support the customers.

I'll say again for the benefit of the nutswingers that I agree the Xray is a very good car. The Kyosho and Mugen are also VERY GOOD cars. The bottom line is, check out the closest hobby shop and see what they carry for replacement parts - that would be the best choice because you're going to be quickly frustrated if you buy a car that doesn't have much local support. You can win with any of the cars you mentioned as long as you know how to tune it and drive it.

Don't let the fan boys persuade you in your decision. It's like walking into a room of BMW owners and asking "what's the best car?" The answer is most likely going to be along the lines of the car they own. There seems to be a few rabid fans on this site, but take it for what it's worth.
rcg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:59 AM   #56
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by muaythai View Post
...and i still do hold on the fact that any pro driver can drive a basic babao 8.5 and trash me!!

+1 Well said!
rcg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 AM   #57
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

unless you have a really good hobby shop (Elite Performance) most of the parts you get will be mail order any ways. There are very few good hobby shops out there most charge retail if you do have a good one I would say definitely support them if not mail order is the cheaper way to go
-ELITE PERFORMANCE-
-JCONCEPTS-
c baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg33k View Post
Wow, the Xray nutswingers are in FULL effect in this thread. These types of threads are generally useless because you get a bunch of fan boys that want to validate their purchase by stating that they car they own is ABSOLUTELY the best. Any one of the cars mentioned in the original question are very capable, durable cars and you'd do well at any track with any one of them.

If I were to steer you away from any one of them, it would be the Xray - the parts support is abysmal. I don't want to have to mail order all my parts because few or none of the local hobby shops carry replacement parts on the wall. The Xray is a very good car on par with Mugen and Kyosho, but they don't have as much support from the tracks and hobby shops. Before the Xray fans get their panties in a knot, many of the local hobby shops have said that they have a very difficult time getting replacement parts - they're always on backorder. This has been the case for years, not just recently. It's not that they haven't tried to get the parts - they simply can't get the orders filled well enough to support the customers.

I'll say again for the benefit of the nutswingers that I agree the Xray is a very good car. The Kyosho and Mugen are also VERY GOOD cars. The bottom line is, check out the closest hobby shop and see what they carry for replacement parts - that would be the best choice because you're going to be quickly frustrated if you buy a car that doesn't have much local support. You can win with any of the cars you mentioned as long as you know how to tune it and drive it.

Don't let the fan boys persuade you in your decision. It's like walking into a room of BMW owners and asking "what's the best car?" The answer is most likely going to be along the lines of the car they own. There seems to be a few rabid fans on this site, but take it for what it's worth.

I like rabid fans, they get to vote to. Lol. Can't go wrong with either of these cars. I like the Mugen alot too.

Now as far as parts support I have NEVER seen a hobby shop with Kyosho, Xray, or Mugen stuff. Ever. At this level in the hobby you need to be your own parts supplier. Plan ahead, get the parts you need for spares in your box now before you breakdown. For me, I'm building a complete spare car because its a 3 hour drive to the real good tracks.

I check Amainhobbies.com before froming an opinion on any offroad kit. (The onroad bunch seem to have parts guys ready to sell thier collection as long as your running the smae car.) Amain has BOB stuff in stock. Amain has Mugen stuff. Local shops have neither. And if I "support my local shop" they'll just order the wrong part anyway. (I gave them the # arrrgh.)

Mugen has the most parts support on Ebay of these three cars it seems. If you use Ebay much. Kyo & X seem to have very little on Ebay.

Still voting Xray. Love mine.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #59
Tech Adept

Since someone talked about basic cars... has anyone heard any coments on the LRP Buggy? I think it is being sold in the US as Z-Car branded!?!?!?!? Its 100% german engineering and seems to be they are really popular in Europe.

I was just wondering because it seems to be really well built.

Here are the links:

http://www.z-carusa.com/pics/thumbna...album=1&page=6

http://www.lrp.cc/de/produkte/rc-car...buggy/details/
Alffa164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #60
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alffa164 View Post
Since someone talked about basic cars... has anyone heard any coments on the LRP Buggy? I think it is being sold in the US as Z-Car branded!?!?!?!? Its 100% german engineering and seems to be they are really popular in Europe.

I was just wondering because it seems to be really well built.

Here are the links:

http://www.z-carusa.com/pics/thumbna...album=1&page=6

http://www.lrp.cc/de/produkte/rc-car...buggy/details/

doesnt degani run this car here in the states. the zcar.