Search

xray 809?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmargiotta
Ignorance MUST be bliss.........or contagious, I'm not sure... haha

All I have to say on this matter (which happens to not be subjective like the posts above): please look at any thread/forum on the topic of what the customers would like to see change on the 808, you will find that most asked for the changes that have been made for this year's model.
Sorry but look at the design of the 808ight. Look at the front end, the arms, the shock tower and the geometry. All copied from the losi 8ight. Even look at the rear suspension all losi copy. Look at the steering setup all ideas "borrowed" from losi. the only thing that xray engineered on the 808 is there one piece pinion/outderive thing. If xray is so much better why can't they design thier own car? Not trying to knock the 808 because it is a very competitive buggy but seriously there is not much to it that is not re-engineered losi matterial. Yeah maybe thier matterials quality is better than losi, but the design is all losi. Noone can even try to deny that.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

You don't think all this "it's a copy" rant is running a little thin ? Does the losi not have : 4 wheels,a motor,3 diffs,shockers on each corner etc. etc.

I guess another question could be where losi got the idea for "there" active diff ??

I believe it could be fair to say all the major manufactures design's are getting very similar. Losi moved the goal posts with the 8ight thats for sure, but come on the front hubs are the same as nearly every 1/10th buggy out there, the tank clunk is lifted from plane technology.

Manufactures will all copy other manufactures good idea's where they can and improve them where they can, its called progress.

Rod
Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Unless you own an Xray you wouldn't understand, not the same, and worth the money.

Open the 808 manual on the Xray website, and compare it to the Losi...
Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

an again what is the projected release date?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

End of February is when RC America expects to get them in and start shipping. I would imagine that when Xray puts the new part number up on their site, the release date is very close.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Smith90
Unless you own an Xray you wouldn't understand, not the same, and worth the money.

Open the 808 manual on the Xray website, and compare it to the Losi...
I am not saying that they aren't good. Infact I bet they are great but it is definately a losi copy. You can tell that just by glencing at the buggy. Don't need to look at a manual to see the losi in it.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Smith90
End of February is when RC America expects to get them in and start shipping. I would imagine that when Xray puts the new part number up on their site, the release date is very close.
Any idea on price yet?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Sorry but look at the design of the 808ight. Look at the front end, the arms, the shock tower and the geometry. All copied from the losi 8ight. Even look at the rear suspension all losi copy. Look at the steering setup all ideas "borrowed" from losi. the only thing that xray engineered on the 808 is there one piece pinion/outderive thing. If xray is so much better why can't they design thier own car? Not trying to knock the 808 because it is a very competitive buggy but seriously there is not much to it that is not re-engineered losi matterial. Yeah maybe thier matterials quality is better than losi, but the design is all losi. Noone can even try to deny that.
You could say that with just about any buggy out there now.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

jamminkrazy when you look at a losi & a 808 you need to actually open your eyes not look by feel. The front caster block,steering block & front arm looks like the losi & thats it. You think the shock geometry being similar but not the same to a losi makes the 808 a direct copy? Like every car sold now doesnt have very similar geometry? Have you been drinking tonight sir? So the front outer steering parts look like a losi but obviosly are not the same as the 808 steering dosnt flop around after the first run. Why dont you buy & build a 808 so you'll understand how you sound to the people who have built both cars . Before you ask yes I have build & rebuilt(many times) several losi buggy & truggys. 3 similar parts dont make an exact copy.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
I am not saying that they aren't good. Infact I bet they are great but it is definately a losi copy. You can tell that just by glencing at the buggy. Don't need to look at a manual to see the losi in it.
When the Losi 8 first came out I thought:" What thats it? Still looks like a Kyosho Turbo Burns." I was disappointed. Sure it was different,but I expected more.

It has some simularities with the Losi. So What, it works. The Kyosho MP9 is just an expensive RC8. They took all the new stuff that AE came up with and stuck it on lighter 777. Nobody except RC8 owners noticed this. Then again the RC8 was based on the proven kyosho 1/8th scale tech anyway. Mugens the only original desighn out there. But they've been around as long as K anyway.

The car really is very different though, and there are a lot of cars out there that really should copy Losi. Maybe Losi should copy Xray some more.......the smart diffs were a good start.

I need to pick the car I think will help me go the fastest the most often. I don't care who copied who. Seems to me that Hudy has gone through great lenghts to get this car right.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've heard the price is supposed to remain the same.

Now for my thoughts on the 808 being a Losi Copy. Sure they look similar, but having owned both vehicles, I can say that they don't Handle the same at all. Each car has it's own set of strengths, and both are very capable buggies.

The Losi was not friendly to me at all, infact I went the entire 2007 season with out a single good run with my losi. It took a while for my butt to unpucker after each qualifier. I just felt like it was on it's edge and ready to wipe out if I pushed it too hard. And don't get me started on how often parts wore out and got all kinds of slop.It's a great buggy, it just wasn't great for me.

The Xray 808 on the otherhand was the polar opposite. I could drive relaxed, and I was able to push it hard and it responded to every little input I sent it's way. If I got a little behind, I'd turn it up a notch, it listens and does what I want. The parts quality, and strength of the 808 are hard to rival. No option parts needed, and it's actually lighter than the Losi. And personally, I prefer the orriginal body over the new low profile body.

The 808 totally turned my 2008 season around I had a good run at the Rc pro series in Intermediate buggy. when the year before I didn't even want to show my face at an RC pro series event.

Last edited by xlgraphicspro; 02-13-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have owned a XB8TQ, XB8EC, 2 XT8s, and 2 808s. Before the 808 was released I wanted somethig new and bought the 8ight. I built it (definitely not fun to build like an Xray), ran it for 10 minutes, and then sold it and got an 808.

I don't deny that Losi did some awesome stuff in the buggy market, but I do not feel that any one manufacturer has changed the buggy scene.
-Kane
Old 02-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

I don't want anyone to take my comments the wrong way. I think xray's are very good cars. And don't really care that they copied losi, but they DID copy losi. I am not sponsored by anyone or run for anyone but because I drive and enjoy losi cars, I am going to be biased in that direction. When the 808 first came out I looked at all the xray ads that were on neobuggy and thought to myself that this is alot like my losi. Then I looked further into it and saw the front suspension arms, front spindle carriers, rear arms, rear upright hubs, etc. And thought that they were actually running losi parts. If at first sight over the computor, I could be convinced there were actually losi parts on the car it seems to me kinda hard to believe they designed it themselves. I understand that all rc's share simmilar design ideas, but the losi and xray have to be the closest in design. So close that to me the xray is somewhat copied from losi. There are many people that agree with me. I am in no way saying anything negative about the xray. Just saying they "borrowed" ALOT of ideas from losi. And that might not be a bad thing for them because losi completely revolutionized the 1/8 buggy scene. Would I own an xray? hells yeah in a heartbeat. I have no beef with them, but I DO realize that they are losi copies.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Cool, I think the Kyosho and AE and Od and Jammin have more in common. Obviously Xray stole some ideas.

Simularities: BOB and 9ine

Zerokingpin ft suspension (Xrays is better, molded in al threads, etc)
Ugly fish body
Forward weight distribution (who has't copied that.....only Od)
Small size bearings (at least xray lets you use full size brgs if u want)
Big bore shock (everyones got those)
front camber links instead of upper arm
smartdiffs, whos copying who now

Thats not that much really, yes they look similar.....but if u dig deeper:

Differences:

Proper carbon fiber shock towers. (We don't need huge billet metal towers)
xray uses old school brakes
losi has superior radio tray (if it didn't cook servos) i like the d8's better
center shafts are way dif on both cars.
Xray plastic is stronger than steel. (just ask the turnbuckles)
crooked engine mounts in the xray
they don't drive the same

mugen like radio box on xray

The rear suspension on the BOB and 9ine are the same as every one else. I don't get it.

A few ideas from Losi were used, no worse than any other K copy. Xray brings alot of inovation to tha table though:

Active diffs
Double carden universals (double jointed cvds)
Center shafts that go into the gear box lengthening the shafts and saving weight
Indestructable plastic
Active diffs
Light steel instead of soft ti
little bearing or large bearings can be used on the outdrives.
oversized clutch bearings

lets stick a fork into the whole whos a copier stuff argument.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 02-11-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Copy is a strong word.

I don't know how familiar you are with nitro touring cars, but do an image search on the Mugen MTX4R, Kyosho RRR and the Xray NT1.

There is a reason these cars look the same, and its because that design works...

The same goes for buggy. Why would a company design a buggy completely different than that of what they KNOW will work extremely well?

Don't say that they copied, the innovation in the bulkheads, bearings, option parts... It is all original Xray.

Refinement is the name of the game. Thats why they REFINE the buggy every year to bring an up to date version.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.