Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How you clean your rides?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Default How you clean your rides?

I'm wondering, how you clean your rides?

Personally, I remove electronics and engine, spray simple green, wait few minute and use a toothbrush to remove extra dirt and use a compressor to finish.

After all this, I spray WD40 everywhere and blow extra liquid with air compressor.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats pretty much the standard way to do it.

I always try not to use anything water based on my car anymore. My last car never saw water. I ran it in some seriously muddy conditions but never enough to get it wet. I cleaned it frequently at the track with compressed air and afterwards with wd-40 and a brush.

I found out about Maxima SC1 at the end of the year. Its a silicone type spray used by MotoX guys to keep their bikes clean. It shines everything up nice and the dirt doesnt stick to it so the car stays cleaner and the dirt blows off easier. I used to walk by a local fast guys pit and wonder how he could run 2 or 3 classes at a race and still keep all his stuff immaculate and it was because he was using it on everything and I mean everything from his pit board to the buggy. I bought a couple cans of it and I am going to try and use it exclusively on my new buggy. It says its 100% safe for everything in our cars I was only told to avoid spraying the air filter for obvious reasons. Its a really fine spray so it seems like a can will last a really long time and it smells good so when I use it at home the family likes it vs most of the stuff I use when they all go running for cover.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Water and a hose the I blow it off and wd 40 it.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

1) Simple Green
2) Hot Water
3) Compressor Dry
Old 02-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

engine and electronics off then shower with mild detergent to get the grease of.
dry with compressor, spray with PTFE.
got stainless bearings so they dont have problems with water, but always check them and replace when needed.

or just nitro spray with upgrade/rc brushes if I am lazy as it will get dirty next weekend anyway
Old 02-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For a different way to keep your car clean, when i used to race dirt sprint cars, a little trick we used was to mix 1 part wd 40 with 1 part baby oil, kept the dirt off the cars amazingly, i loved this trick after i found it out, made cleaning a lot easier!!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just a question tho.. Is WD40 actually safe? What if it gets into the electronics? like your servo's and rx's ?

secondly, do you spray it on after or before you clean?

finally, doesnt WD40 keep your car oily and greasy ?

I run nitro if it helps..

As for my tips, so far its been a toothbrush, a regular painting brush, and the compressor air gun. I only use WD40 on thing like my exhaust and stuff that are shiny.. Soap and water are all i use for things like bodies, wheels and stuff..

Another things is, I worry about stripping my car down too much, im afraid that the screws that go into plastic parts might get loose soon.. Any tips for that?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

remove tray and motorand tank, then its gets a hose down outside, then a blow off with air, then wd40 and another blow off. walla its new again!

Last edited by crawldad91; 02-11-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Remove tray, motor and fuel tank. Stick in dish washer.LOL

Whaen the wife finds out... run for cover
Old 02-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtopher_aaron
Just a question tho.. Is WD40 actually safe? What if it gets into the electronics? like your servo's and rx's ?

secondly, do you spray it on after or before you clean?

finally, doesnt WD40 keep your car oily and greasy ?

I run nitro if it helps..

As for my tips, so far its been a toothbrush, a regular painting brush, and the compressor air gun. I only use WD40 on thing like my exhaust and stuff that are shiny.. Soap and water are all i use for things like bodies, wheels and stuff..

Another things is, I worry about stripping my car down too much, im afraid that the screws that go into plastic parts might get loose soon.. Any tips for that?
WD40 is perfectly fine for your car. sounds like you kinda got everything backwards. don't use wd40 on your exhaust. it leaves an oily film on there that is going to have to burn off every time put wd40 on it. i dont put wd40 anywhere on my engine or my electronics. WD40 is also OK for your tires and bodies. soap and water is also perfectly acceptable.

to clean my reciever case and servo tray without removing everything from it. just spray some wd40 on a toothbrush, then you can brush on the wd40 just where you want it, and not spraying a big mess all over with the can.

the engine i just clean with a dry toothbrush or paint brush, and really try to get behind the flywheel with the toothbrush to get some of that hidden debris out of there. don't forget to plug of any openings into the engine. if you take off the fuel like to pull the motor, i like to take a 2" piece of fuel tube, and fold the last 3/4" over on itself and secure it with a zip tie. now you have a nice fuel like block off.

the car is almost the easiest thing to clean. once you removed the electronics, and motor (i like to take out my fuel tank and clean that separately also) cover the entire car with undiluted Simple Green, wait a few minutes. wash it off with a high pressure hose, then blow dry every nook and cranny with compressed air. i try to make it as 100% dry as possible with just the compressed air. then hose the car down with WD40. head to toe. especially any U-joints, and bearings. wait 15 minutes for it to kinda soak in and penetrate. then give it a good compressed air blast again. not like before. just enough to get the excess off. take a rag and wipe the main chassis so there's not a heavy film on there. leave the rest of the plastic. it will soak in overnight. your car will look brand new again!

now as for the screws. treat plastic the same way you would metal. when you put in the screw make sure you start off twisting the screw counter clockwise to find the start of the threads in the plastic, and then start the screw gently. this should all be able to be done by hand at first. then use your tools to drive it home. not too hard though! snug it up, don't give it the death twist. and if the screw starts to come loose while you drive, don't try to tighten it down harder. put a dab of thin CA on the end of the screw. its like lock-tite for plastic. works great, and the screw still comes out easily! (when YOU want it to )

*phew* sorry for the long post
Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Complete rebuild. Takes effort but everything is checked for wear and replaced if needed.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by fatdaddy
*phew* sorry for the long post
Much appreciated nonetheless.. Thank you sir..
Old 02-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
Thats pretty much the standard way to do it.

I found out about Maxima SC1 at the end of the year. Its a silicone type spray used by MotoX guys to keep their bikes clean. It shines everything up nice and the dirt doesnt stick to it so the car stays cleaner and the dirt blows off easier. I used to walk by a local fast guys pit and wonder how he could run 2 or 3 classes at a race and still keep all his stuff immaculate and it was because he was using it on everything and I mean everything from his pit board to the buggy. I bought a couple cans of it and I am going to try and use it exclusively on my new buggy. It says its 100% safe for everything in our cars I was only told to avoid spraying the air filter for obvious reasons. Its a really fine spray so it seems like a can will last a really long time and it smells good so when I use it at home the family likes it vs most of the stuff I use when they all go running for cover.
Where can you get Maxima SC1 at ? I'd like to try that stuff out.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by yaright
Remove tray, motor and fuel tank. Stick in dish washer.LOL

Whaen the wife finds out... run for cover
Old 02-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Madbrad
Where can you get Maxima SC1 at ? I'd like to try that stuff out.
You can get Maxima SC1 at any motocross store near you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.