Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
I can't deal with this anymore!!! >

I can't deal with this anymore!!!

I can't deal with this anymore!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Picco tuning probs

Ok setup changed around a bit, so I took the old info out not to confuse anyone. Thanks

Last edited by spawn_x; 03-08-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The first thing to do is to richen the high speed needle. Even if it's wrong, you can do away with the notion that it's not getting fuel. How is the plug? Did the other engine run ok in the Hyper 7? Is so then it's not the engine and is likely a leak in one of the fuel lines that is causing the engine to fuel starve above 1/2 throttle.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've changed fuel lines a couple of times, and to tell you the truth I never ran it in the hyper 7, it was crashed (though not bad enough to crack the block??) and I just got some parts to put it together and decided that I don't want a buggy but will keep the engine

High speed needle is about flush, but I'll try that first, thanks
Old 02-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

my suggestion is to find someone knowledgeable who is local to you....you could even bring it to the LHS and ask them for help.....if 1 car did it.....now the 2nd is doing the same....one can only assume its something you are doing wrong.....trying to diagnose stuff like this online is pretty hard imo.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Integra
my suggestion is to find someone knowledgeable who is local to you....you could even bring it to the LHS and ask them for help.....if 1 car did it.....now the 2nd is doing the same....one can only assume its something you are doing wrong.....trying to diagnose stuff like this online is pretty hard imo.
I took the Picco to three LHS, none were able to help me. I was going to send it to AB Mods, but he suggested I send it to Ofna instead. I wish I could find someone very knowledgable.. I'm 26 but feel like I'm 12 trying to troubleshoot this stuff

Would length of fuel tubing from exhaust and to engine make any difference?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spawn_x
I took the Picco to three LHS, none were able to help me. I was going to send it to AB Mods, but he suggested I send it to Ofna instead. I wish I could find someone very knowledgable.. I'm 26 but feel like I'm 12 trying to troubleshoot this stuff

Would length of fuel tubing from exhaust and to engine make any difference?

What glowplug are you trying to use ? chances are the tune is out.... Heres what I would do... first fire up the engine, hold the machine up on blocks... Slowly start applying throttle, at the same time your applying throttle richen the HSN, gradually bleed into the throttle as your richening the needle... What your looking for is to end up nearly wide open on the trigger, but soo rich the engine will barely run...it should be sputtering and spitting fuel, 4 stroking and not making any RPM.... Then once you hit this point of rich slowly start leaning down the HSN as your applying full throttle...... As you slowly lean the HSN the engine will start to run cleaner and crisper.... Keep leaning down the HSN till the engine starts to make some decent RPM, By sound I would say about 3/4 of maximum RPM ( 30 000 RPM ish)....At this point in time your engine will still be relatively rich, but it should be a good starting point to start tuning on the ground. Now at this point place the vehicle on the ground and do some wide open passes, at least 200 feet as you want to fully rev the engine out...Then lean the HSN down about 1/2 hour and do another high speed pass.. You will see that each time you nudge the HSN the engine will reach higher RPM's... What you are looking for is a clear steady high RPM note and in most cases a small smoke trail.... I am out of time, but I will add that it is best to use a hot glowplug with these engines, a cool plug will make dialing in a engine much more difficult, I find a hotter plugs allows me to run slightly richer and still retain good power.....The main thing is start rich and slowly work backwards, stalling like your describing is almost always from an engine being lean, or poor glowplug......
Old 02-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Spawn - where are you located? Maybe there's someone on the forums in your local area that can help you out. It's always possible to get help online, but there's nothing like having the car in front of you when it comes to troubleshooting.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re

what fuel are you using?and how old is the fuel have had bad fuel do that to me b4 also