R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   S9252 OK for buggy throttle/brake????? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/273579-s9252-ok-buggy-throttle-brake.html)

mfrosty 02-06-2009 05:04 PM

S9252 OK for buggy throttle/brake?????

So I picked up some servos for my RC8 and converted X2-CRT to get me started this racing season. I got 3 Airtronics 94359's and a Futaba S9252.

I've got 2 of the Air's installed in the truggy and the Fut&Air in the RC8. You think this servo has enough ass for the throttle and brake duties?

Also is there anything I need to know about using these with a spektrum rx?

Thanks!

NitroOB4You 02-06-2009 06:11 PM

Rated @ .14 seconds/ 92 Oz/In
Not too bad. I've run JR Z590's before on T/B ( approx. 80 Oz/In ) and those figures would do you ok, I think. However, according to ...

http://www.servocity.com/html/s9252_...l_bearing.html

...it is rated ONLY for 4.8v input. This will not serve you well, as rechargeable Rx packs are 6v or more. If you used one of those 4 AA holder packs, you would probably be fine, but you'll likely go through many batteries that way. You can try it out...it may fry it may not, I don't know. Personally, I would look for something that is specifically rated for 6v. The afforementioned Z590 is only $50 or less if you search. For under $75, you could get an Ace DS 1313 which would be a big step up from either of these... .13/175 Oz/In @ 6v.

mfrosty 02-06-2009 06:46 PM

I did some research and the only reason they say not to use it with 6v is that it's designed to be used in helis with gyro's and the higher voltage will damage the gyro. 6v for the servo is fine, it's the gyro that can't handle it. I also can't find any torque specs at 6v but it's got to be over 100 if it's 92 @ 4.8v

**taken from the site you linked me to above**

1) Always use a 4.8 volt NiCd w/gyro. Dry cells are rated at 1.5 volts each making the overall voltage 6.0 volts which will damage the **gyro**. The servo operates fine on 6.0 volts.

mfrosty 02-06-2009 07:18 PM

Now what about connecting the Futaba to the spektrum, I thought that I remembered reading somewhere that the connectors are backwards from every other brand?

jrwoodchuck 02-06-2009 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by mfrosty (Post 5398123)
I did some research and the only reason they say not to use it with 6v is that it's designed to be used in helis with gyro's and the higher voltage will damage the gyro. 6v for the servo is fine, it's the gyro that can't handle it. I also can't find any torque specs at 6v but it's got to be over 100 if it's 92 @ 4.8v

**taken from the site you linked me to above**

1) Always use a 4.8 volt NiCd w/gyro. Dry cells are rated at 1.5 volts each making the overall voltage 6.0 volts which will damage the **gyro**. The servo operates fine on 6.0 volts.

heli guy here,
if i remember correctly, it will only work with a gyro. the gyro has it's own "launguage" to talk to the servo. if you hook it up to a reciever directly, it won't work. i could be wrong, but i think i tried it with one of my 9252 in my buggy and it didn't work.

mfrosty 02-06-2009 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck (Post 5398286)
heli guy here,
if i remember correctly, it will only work with a gyro. the gyro has it's own "launguage" to talk to the servo. if you hook it up to a reciever directly, it won't work. i could be wrong, but i think i tried it with one of my 9252 in my buggy and it didn't work.

Just went and plugged it into my MLST's rx and it worked fine :)

jrwoodchuck 02-06-2009 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by mfrosty (Post 5398337)
Just went and plugged it into my MLST's rx and it worked fine :)

oops, i have a 9254... sorry for the bad info.