Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Tamiya TRF 801X 1/8 Buggy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Well i've been in Neo09 and since i'm from Europe, i was very curious to see the Tamiya Buggy and mainly Ryan Lutz driving skills,because i really admire his skills and after i met him, i think he's such a simple and so nice person that i wasn't expecting it, was so nice to everyone and when i went to talk with him, was just so sympathic that i was amazed (btw Ryan i was that guy that asked you in the end of the A-Main, a signed tire from you,hehe).

The car looked awesome in the track and outside of it, the quality was there and the performance too, i was expecting a little less quality in the car, so i was very surprised and amazed, i'm really looking forward to see this car in the European market and with a good price,of course,but i don't know why, i think this car is not going to be in the European Market, mainly because most of the Tamiya Distributors are not linked to R/C market and don't know nothing about it,my 50 cents!

And now to finish, seing all the american guys driving was awsome, i was quite impressed with Ryan Lutz, Jared Tebo and Ryan Maifield, they were damn fast and impressive with their lines of driving, since i'm a WRC fan, i love Lutz style, but in Neo09 track, that wasn't the style to drive there, but i really loved it, just for seing them driving, i think i've learned so much just only for seing them in track, than the years i've spent on my home track, really!
Old 04-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Adept

Is this Buggy ready to start shipping, I'm ready to get one lets go!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was at the Canadian Offroad scootout and the canadian tamiya guys had the buggy there for display and it lookes good. They said that is was going to start shipping mid may. Cant wait to trade the mp9 and strr in on tamiya!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:46 AM
Tech Adept

hello
is the date is always May ?

shall we have the weight of the buggy please
thanks

Last edited by blade98000; 04-21-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by blade98000
hello
is the date is always May ?

shall we have the weight of the buggy please
thanks
Yes looking like Mid - Late May.

My buggy outfitted with lightweight chassis, titanium screws and turnbuckles weighed in at 3400g at the Nitro Challenge this year.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GMartinez
Ryan Congrats on your 3rd place podium finish @ the Neo 09 way to go
Originally Posted by jamminx2kid
ryan did a great job. tamiya buggy is goona be one to look out 4!
Originally Posted by Joey Powell
Excellent job, Ryan. It's great to see your dedication and work ethic paying off.
Originally Posted by NsideLine
Yeah... I always hope to see Ryan at the top of the list. With so many guys not understanding what being a representative for the company who sponsors you truly means... It is always good to see someone like Ryan, who does a great job of promoting and supporting the products, in the top 3 at a big race... It is something I hope to see more of in the future. Good job Mr. Lutz! (Plus, there's noone in the industry that's more fun to watch!!!)
Originally Posted by oople
Lutz and Jun were really nice guys and it was awesome to meet them since I'm a Tamiya fan especially. We'll have lots of action shots of Ryans car up later this week in the neo09 galleries.
Thanks to everyone for the props! Much appreciated! This buggy is the real deal!!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

Mr. LUTZ

Will you be attending the W.I.N in Alabama this upcoming weekend?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by njballa
Mr. LUTZ

Will you be attending the W.I.N in Alabama this upcoming weekend?
50/50 at this exact moment. Brandon Rohde just mentioned it to me last night. I'm at work right now waiting on the powers that be to show up so I can pitch my travel plans to see if I can get the A- OK!
I'll let you know if I'm good to go!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRCRacer24
50/50 at this exact moment. Brandon Rohde just mentioned it to me last night. I'm at work right now waiting on the powers that be to show up so I can pitch my travel plans to see if I can get the A- OK!
I'll let you know if I'm good to go!
Hey Mr. Lutz, I say you run yesterday and the JBRL and I have to say wow. Your driving is unbelievable, and your attitude towards the hobby and fellow racers is great. I cannot get over how helpful you were yesterday when jimmy asked numerous times for volunteer marshalls and I saw you to be one the first ones out there to lend a hand. I just wanted to say thank you as I think what you are doing for this hobby is just great. After seeing you drive yesterday I am seriously considering switching rides to Tamiya. How is the steering of the buggy? Also how is the parts support for the area around Thunder Alley as I am a local racer there. Thanks Again.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Questions?? Other Buggy Shells

Hi Ryan,

Good job with the podium finish at Neo'09. Was checking online each day for results when the even took place. Totally Awesome!!! Waiting for the buggy to be released and definitely stoked about it, building it and running it.

Do have a question that you may or may not be able to answer since you're a TRF driver and you wouldn't have a problem running out of buggy shells when need to be replaced. But do other buggy shells for other brands fit the 801X?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xpertpredator
Hey Mr. Lutz, I say you run yesterday and the JBRL and I have to say wow. Your driving is unbelievable, and your attitude towards the hobby and fellow racers is great. I cannot get over how helpful you were yesterday when jimmy asked numerous times for volunteer marshalls and I saw you to be one the first ones out there to lend a hand. I just wanted to say thank you as I think what you are doing for this hobby is just great. After seeing you drive yesterday I am seriously considering switching rides to Tamiya. How is the steering of the buggy? Also how is the parts support for the area around Thunder Alley as I am a local racer there. Thanks Again.
Thanks xpertpredator! It's very appreciated!
As for the Buggy steering it is awesome! There is even an optional battery location up in the front side guard that has a mount and everything. The one time I have tried to use it the buggy had too much steering for the surface I was on! You would need to be at a track with severe understeer to want to use it or just like steering A Lot!! But in reality the Buggy does Steer awesome!
Parts support is our sticking point, not that we won't have all the parts available but it's a matter of getting the shops to carry a new brand! Everything will be available and I'm doing my best to make this buggy popular enough for shops to want to carry the product and parts! Everything will be available from Tamiya directly if worse comes to worse. Also Speedtech R/C generally does a great job carrying most all Tamiya lines and parts!

Thanks Again!

Originally Posted by JRRobiso
Hi Ryan,

Good job with the podium finish at Neo'09. Was checking online each day for results when the even took place. Totally Awesome!!! Waiting for the buggy to be released and definitely stoked about it, building it and running it.

Do have a question that you may or may not be able to answer since you're a TRF driver and you wouldn't have a problem running out of buggy shells when need to be replaced. But do other buggy shells for other brands fit the 801X?

Thanks.
Thank you very much!
I'm not sure what other bodies may fit. It has a detached nose so that is one consideration. Hopefully the buggy will be popular enough for proline and jconcepts to want to make a body for it!

We have a great starting set-up for the buggy that has been working very good everywhere. So when you pick up the buggy be sure to check out the TeamTRF.com site for our 'standard' buggy set-up. It will be up in the near future!

Regards,
-Ryan
Old 04-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks xpertpredator! It's very appreciated!
As for the Buggy steering it is awesome! There is even an optional battery location up in the front side guard that has a mount and everything. The one time I have tried to use it the buggy had too much steering for the surface I was on! You would need to be at a track with severe understeer to want to use it or just like steering A Lot!! But in reality the Buggy does Steer awesome!
Parts support is our sticking point, not that we won't have all the parts available but it's a matter of getting the shops to carry a new brand! Everything will be available and I'm doing my best to make this buggy popular enough for shops to want to carry the product and parts! Everything will be available from Tamiya directly if worse comes to worse. Also Speedtech R/C generally does a great job carrying most all Tamiya lines and parts!

Thanks Again!

Thank you very much!
I'm not sure what other bodies may fit. It has a detached nose so that is one consideration. Hopefully the buggy will be popular enough for proline and jconcepts to want to make a body for it!

We have a great starting set-up for the buggy that has been working very good everywhere. So when you pick up the buggy be sure to check out the TeamTRF.com site for our 'standard' buggy set-up. It will be up in the near future!

Regards,
-Ryan
Sweet it sounds great. Have you had any issues with parts wear?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Addict

njballa - If we can get my flight booked I am good to come to the Wiregrass Indoor Nationals! We are having trouble with the travel websites at this time but I am cleared to go by the powers that be so I look forward to seeing you there!!
-Ryan
Old 04-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xpertpredator
Sweet it sounds great. Have you had any issues with parts wear?
The 801X buggy has been great with wear so far. The cars we are running currently are still pre-production so there is some expected slop in some of the plastics as they work to make the perfect fit. The production kits should have a very nice fit and finish. Wear has really been very minimal! I think i've broken 3 parts on the car in my 3 months of running. A upper shock screw, a turnbuckle ball end, and an upper turnbuckle arm. With how much running I have done and with some of the nasty crashes I have had I am very pleased with it! That's one of my favorite parts about this vehicle, the fact that I am not afraid to drive it hard because of how durable it is! I've seen it take some crazy crashes and it just keeps going! I'm a believer!!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

njballa - If we can get my flight booked I am good to come to the Wiregrass Indoor Nationals! We are having trouble with the travel websites at this time but I am cleared to go by the powers that be so I look forward to seeing you there!!
-Ryan
Alrighty then I'll see you there my man, you can always bring me some Charitable donations.. lol Is DV going I know he has been having issues with his Back ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.