R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
OK...when you mean the wheels get laggy, do you mean the front wheels as you turn the radio's steering wheel? If so, and the front wheels are slow to respond, it could be a bad receiver battery. How old is the battery? If it is a NiMH battery, discharge it then slowwly charge the battery back to capacity. If you are using a Lipo battery and its voltage has fallen below 3.0 volts per cell, it is difficult to bring those batteries back to their previous condition.

Are you able to take a vidoe of theproblems you are having? If we can actually see what is going on with your rig, we might be better able to help solve your problem.
+1
Have you gotten that new reciever battery yet? If not that could also be the problem.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Not the new one I ordered but I am using a friends receiver batt. Also jammincrazy i set mine to neutral at first but I my radio batts ran out on my and my truck slowly started running away so I thought I wiuld try full brake which seems to be working. I guess I didn;t det it right seeing as it was moving so I will try again.
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrassey@me.com View Post
Not the new one I ordered but I am using a friends receiver batt. Also jammincrazy i set mine to neutral at first but I my radio batts ran out on my and my truck slowly started running away so I thought I wiuld try full brake which seems to be working. I guess I didn;t det it right seeing as it was moving so I will try again.
Well if it was set at neutral the truck wouldn't move unless your idle is set high or your engine is not tuned correctly.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Tree

If your failsafe is set to neutral, you will slowly roll to a stop. I had set my failsafe to full brake once and I fried a new Hitec 5955TG. Thank God for Hitec's excellent warranty coverage and customer service because I sent it to Hitec and received a new one in about 4 days.

Do you have any R/C off-road tracks near you? Maybe you can go to a track if one is near by and try to get some help from one of the racers there. Most people in this hobby are friendly and willing to help others out.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Ya im just gonna take it to thee lhs soon just hadn't had a chance to go so thought I would try to get it fixed here.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

I don't trust anybody at my local hobby shops. When I first got into this hobby, I had a heck of a time trying to get my first rig startedand tuned properly. I spent anywhere from $20-$40 at 3 different hobby shops and my truck still wouldn't run right. I finally went to a local R/C race track where I met a guy that helped me get my truck started and tuned. He practically stood by my side the entire time I was there until we got my truck running decent and he gave me some tuning and set-up advice.

If I am having a problem with one of my rigs, I will NEVER take it to the local hobby shop. That's just my opinion.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
I don't trust anybody at my local hobby shops. When I first got into this hobby, I had a heck of a time trying to get my first rig startedand tuned properly. I spent anywhere from $20-$40 at 3 different hobby shops and my truck still wouldn't run right. I finally went to a local R/C race track where I met a guy that helped me get my truck started and tuned. He practically stood by my side the entire time I was there until we got my truck running decent and he gave me some tuning and set-up advice.

If I am having a problem with one of my rigs, I will NEVER take it to the local hobby shop. That's just my opinion.
+1, I hate my local hobby shop. They know less than nothing, which means they always say the wrong information. Like, "Traxxas fuel is the best because they spent the most time in R%D", and "Lower gearing WILL burn your motor! Igher gearing runs cooler."

So whenever I have a question, I just post it on the forum or go to the track.

Tree, What LHS DID you go to?

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

+1 on setting the failsafe to neutral, and even if it was a high idle you can still catch it, It sounds to me that the battery is the problem, it would have enough charge for a minute or so and then start to fall off with voltage, I would say that most racers know more than local hobby stores, as my local hobby store calls me all the time for answers my advice is to get a fully charged battery and rebind the radio to receiver and see what happens before you start the truck again
Troubles Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

ok thanks guys
Old 02-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #40
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i just kinda skimmed through all the posts to read your problems.

But, if you keep burning up throttle servos. Set those end points. when i first got my losi i burned up a couple of servos, but my epas were right at wide open. Your really need to leave about a millimeter of free play at wide open. Maybe a little more. Now if it is infact electrical, then great, you can chase that down too. But if you keep burning up servos, i would make damn sure my end points were right.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic

ya the first end point was not right hence the blown servo but this end point is in fact right.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
+1, I hate my local hobby shop. They know less than nothing, which means they always say the wrong information. Like, "Traxxas fuel is the best because they spent the most time in R%D", and "Lower gearing WILL burn your motor! Igher gearing runs cooler."

So whenever I have a question, I just post it on the forum or go to the track.

Tree, What LHS DID you go to?
When I first started out in this hobby in 2005 I had a heck of a time trying to get my cars started and running let alone trying to tune them. I first took my monster truck to a guy who ran a hobby shop business out of his home. He helped get my truck started and and it ran ok. Once I got home I couldn't get it started and if I did, it didn't run good at all and the engine temps were 300+ degrees F.

I took it to Dynamic Hobbies in Hemet, Ca and the young guy there had my truck all day and it ran worse than when I dropped it off. Dynamic Hobbies is a pretty good shop. I buy a lot of stuff there but I will never take any vehcle there if I am having problems.

After that, I took it to a guy named Francis who owns Southland Hobbies in Lakewood, Ca. He did the best job out of the 3 shops I took my rig to. He got my truck running good but the temps were still a little high. He told me about a local R/C track calle d Crystal Park Raceway. That is where I met a guy named Bob ( i will never forget him) who hleped me out tremendously. He took the time to answer my questions and showed me how to tune and set-up my truck. He stood by my side almost the entire time that day and he let me use his tools since I really didn't have any of my own at that time. I am forever gratefull to Bob. I was very close to giving up on R/C nitro vehicles, especially after the bad experiences I had at a couple of hobby shops.

I will NEVER take any vehicle to a local hobby shop after the experience I have had. I would rather come on this forum and seek some advice from forum members or better yet, go to a local track and ask for help from some of the racers there. I have come across a few a$$holes that didn't want to take the time to help a noob, but that has been a few rare instances. Most of the people in the R/C community are very friendly and helpful and most will gladly help if you just ask.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I went to Dynamic. It was world's better compared to the hobby shop where I USE to go to, Uncle Dons Hobbies in Palm Desert, CA. Ever been there?

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote