Wiki Posts
Search

OS .21 VSPEC Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default OS .21 VSPEC Engine

Hi,Im new here and looks like a great forum.And want to say thanks for all the help.

Can you guys tell me the best way to break in my engine in my 1/8 scale buggy.You hear good n bad about this engine but I choose to go with it.The racers seem to be sold on it.

I started it and followed the manual,it came 2.5 turns out from closed HSN.I put almost a half gallon of moderate driving.Now HSN down to 1.5 out.Some tims it would sound good n lay over.It was 30 deg out and never got about 150.Kinda cold.Maybe I should wrap the head? My truck seems like it runs better hot or up to temp.Or am I pushing it too soon?Maybe should put a new glow plug in?Let me know your thoughts and I will give you all the info I can

Thanks Pete
Old 02-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ya defanately get the temps up to around 200. i am new as well and just broke in my mach 427 by the traxxas break in method and I wrapped my head in tinfoil to get temps around 215. Idk if thats the best way but it sure worked for me as I have just finished a gallon on it and it is great. I'm sure time will only tell the true answer but it feels very strong. The whole point of break in as I understand it is too get the engine hot so the metal can expand and the piston and sleeve can conform together. Also what are the temps outside where you are breaking in your motor. Below 5o I was told to wrap the head. hope this helps and good luck
Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

wrap the head in tin foil, you are doing damage to your engine under 180 degrees. bring the temp up!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

30 deg
Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Champion

Im also running 30% Byron fuel
Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FastPete
Hi,Im new here and looks like a great forum.And want to say thanks for all the help.

Can you guys tell me the best way to break in my engine in my 1/8 scale buggy.You hear good n bad about this engine but I choose to go with it.The racers seem to be sold on it.

I started it and followed the manual,it came 2.5 turns out from closed HSN.I put almost a half gallon of moderate driving.Now HSN down to 1.5 out.Some tims it would sound good n lay over.It was 30 deg out and never got about 150.Kinda cold.Maybe I should wrap the head? My truck seems like it runs better hot or up to temp.Or am I pushing it too soon?Maybe should put a new glow plug in?Let me know your thoughts and I will give you all the info I can

Thanks Pete
Hey pete, welcome

Never run that motor in weather this cold without heat, you need to saturate the engine with heat before each start up, 220 to 230 before each start, and the cold weather will work against you as well as ther fuel, that motor runs cool, and the fuel laod that enters the engine cools it even faster. If you need to run it in more, apply heat to the mentioned range, and keep alum foil with a sock over it on the head, this will cut off air going to the head and help maintain higher temps, this heat allows the sleeve inside the motor to stay expanded during running, it has a tighter diamiter than the bottom of the sleeve, this is how your compresion is controled in a sence, if the engine is broke in a low temps, it not only killes the pinch to fast but puts a ton of stress on the rod and crank pin, it may be better to talk to you on the phone about it, feel free to give me a call in the afternoon.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks I should have known to wrap the head.Thats what I had to do on my truck.And I do have a heat gun and heat it up before starting.If its cold the OFNA starter box wont even turn it over.I hope I didnt do any damage yet.Still seems to have goood pinch cold cant turn it over.

Thanks I might give you a call.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Also is it a good idea to put better bearings in it? If so which ones or wait till I have a problem?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Also is it a good idea to put better bearings in it? If so which ones or wait till I have a problem?
I'm motor should be ok as long as no high RPM was made, i would recomend a new rod, only because of this matter, at around 2 gallons if you don't have it inspected befor then, as far as ceramics, TKO 14x25.4x6 on the rear, and front 7x19x6, do those if and when you replace the rod.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

Ohh you got me concerned.You think I will have to put a rod in it at 2 gallons? Or inspect it at two and go from there? Can you give me some tips on what im looking for? Ive built hundreds or race automobine engines but never alittle nitro lol
Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

Also im running a JP-3 Pipe
Old 02-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Ohh you got me concerned.You think I will have to put a rod in it at 2 gallons? Or inspect it at two and go from there? Can you give me some tips on what im looking for? Ive built hundreds or race automobine engines but never alittle nitro lol

Sorry, lol give me a ring, i will be up for a few more min. my number is in my sig below, i can help get everything cleared up for ya.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Champion

I will call you tomorrow Brian thanks alot.Dont want to wake the wife up.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

I will call you tomorrow Brian thanks alot.Dont want to wake the wife up.
WORD talk to ya soon bud.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Hey Brian thanks! Put it on the starter box.Got it running 225 sounds great once the LSN was set.It was pig rich as when it ran out of gas its reved like crazy.Now got it set LSN where it will idle all day.And HSN is fat when you open the throttle slight bog and smoke but you can clear it out.Close enough to go to the track.Thanks Again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.