R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #46
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer View Post
Great. I have a Koytoy now. You are going to have to work for it. LOL
Looking forward to it!! It's going to be a great event!
-Kal-Gard -TnT-Fx -TKO Bearings -Track Star
-Pyrographix Paints -Ballistic Batteries
TRCRacer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

I have more than 5... and BTW I'll be happy to sketch up some suggestions if y'all are honestly interested in possibly doing these things.

1) Center diff. Everyone is saying "split center diff mount." I'm going to take that a step further... put the brakes on the SIDE and more toward the bottom, so you can remove the center diff without messing with the throttle servo arm and brake linkages... and yes, a split diff mount.

2) Front and rear diffs. Make a "bulkhead" that allows the diff to be removed without taking the suspension apart. This could be done by making the lower part of the front section part of the rear section, it would leave the hinge pin holders in place.

3) Fully captured hinge pins, like the Losi- I hate messing with even the so-called "captured" ones with the nut on the end- I had to MAKE a tool to make that easier. (Granted, it is just a box-end wrench with a tiny hunk of aluminum from a can zip-tied around the handle so it covers one side of the boxed-end, but still...)

4) A variety of battery box options has already been mentioned... but let me add a couple of suggestions: "through the box" plugs for the servos. (in other words, the servos plug into the side of the box, which has a lead to the receiver, etc.) so they can be changed without taking the radio tray apart, and no holes to let dirt into your receiver box... and if you offer a "stick pack" box, LAY IT DOWN to lower the CG. Another thing to think about is, if you made the battery box mount location "optional" racers could tune the fore-and-aft weight distribution to change handling.

5) Brakes: Bearings on the cams, both ends please... and return springs for the pads. (Had to hack up springs from a ball-point pen to put those on mine.)

6) Mold the "splash guard" into the tank please...

7) If you are making a pipe, point the pressure nipple TOWARD THE FRONT, so you don't have to loop fuel line all around.

8) Not only put fuel line clips on the tank, think about fuel line routing to the engine and pipe please when you locate those clips. Keep it away from the rotating parts!

9) Bearings, not bushings, in the servo saver and "idler arm," and in the ackerman plate.

OK, these are RTR-specific things... we chase a lot of would-be racers away by making "ready to repair" or "ready to replace" stuff. Put some decent servos in it for crying out loud! And a .21 engine so it is LEGAL. And a radio with exponential so the new racers aren't handicapped by their equipment. I realize there ARE compromises to keep the prices down. Compromise on pretty, not on useability.

As I said, I'll be happy to sketch those ideas up for you, but the descriptions should probably give you enough info. I'll leave the main design points up to the pros though.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:05 AM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Everyone's already posted good suggestions so I won't even put 5. But I'm going to add to Domit's no. 3. You don't want captured pins like the Losi b/c those plastic caps are the devil. I'd rather see the M2C style system with the adjustable inserts and the tapered ball ends on the hinge pins. That's what I run and it's the shidnit. Fully adjustable toe and antisquat, and the Al doesn't wear, you just replace the inserts. And like someone said before, I want it included in my high end kit, I don't want to have to drop $100+ on hopups after I buy it.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #49
Tech Addict

From what i read the #1 request was easy access to the diffs. Then some wanted easy to clean/maintain. Others even asked for a better brake system with the brakes on the side or bottom of the center diff to make getting to the center diff even easier...

wow. have you guys seen the Team Magic B8rs? It has most of the features you guys are asking for.

The front and rear diffs are top loading!! 6 screws all from the top of the car.
Brakes are at the bottom and at an angle
arms with no holes to keep the dirt out...

Check it out...

Sponsors:
GO TECH ENGINES (Factory Team) | VP Pro (Factory Team) | EB MODS (Factory Team) | RICHES BREW FUEL | COMPETITION PRODUCTS
TMizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #50
Tech Elite

wow tmiz, they are rethinking the wheel!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #51
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan42r View Post
wow tmiz, they are rethinking the wheel!

Nah, we are truing and balancing it.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #52
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMizzle View Post
From what i read the #1 request was easy access to the diffs. Then some wanted easy to clean/maintain. Others even asked for a better brake system with the brakes on the side or bottom of the center diff to make getting to the center diff even easier...

wow. have you guys seen the Team Magic B8rs? It has most of the features you guys are asking for.

The front and rear diffs are top loading!! 6 screws all from the top of the car.

Check it out...
I think alot of companies should or will head this directions, it is the little things that I am looking for. Not all performance based items. TM has done a nice job with this one. I like the floating body posts. Cool
SPEEDSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yeah, I wanted to take a closer look at yours this weekend Tmizzle. But, then I had beer, and jalapeno sausage, and it was 30 feet to your pit, and I--Just---Could---Not---Get---Up---the---Energy, LOL. Pit closer to me next time, would ya?
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #54
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtamu View Post
Yeah, I wanted to take a closer look at yours this weekend Tmizzle. But, then I had beer, and jalapeno sausage, and it was 30 feet to your pit, and I--Just---Could---Not---Get---Up---the---Energy, LOL. Pit closer to me next time, would ya?
Will do Chris! If i knew you had jalapeno sausage i would have brought it over there for you to look at all day.

Sponsors:
GO TECH ENGINES (Factory Team) | VP Pro (Factory Team) | EB MODS (Factory Team) | RICHES BREW FUEL | COMPETITION PRODUCTS
Old 02-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #55
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDSKI View Post
I think alot of companies should or will head this directions, it is the little things that I am looking for. Not all performance based items. TM has done a nice job with this one. I like the floating body posts. Cool
I agree. The TM car is still a standard 1/8 scale but with massive attention to detail and the racer in mind. It takes time and thought to make something better. Their first car, the M1B was way overthinking. This car is a winner!

Sponsors:
Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:

Check it out...
Very interesting. I assume the quick change front and rear diff bulkheads are a carry-over from the previousl car? That center diff/brake setup is greatness! The low profile radio tray is interesting... however... how do you lower servos that are already sitting on the chassis?

So... when will the TRUGGY version be available?
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #57
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Very interesting. I assume the quick change front and rear diff bulkheads are a carry-over from the previousl car? That center diff/brake setup is greatness! The low profile radio tray is interesting... however... how do you lower servos that are already sitting on the chassis?

So... when will the TRUGGY version be available?
Yes, the bulkhead design is from the first car.
On the first car both servos actually layed down for a crazy low CG, on this one though you are right... can't get much lower than servos allow. I know the chasss is milled beneath each servo.

I hope a truggy is coming.............

Sponsors:
Old 02-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #58
Tech Addict

Quote:

Check it out...
what happened to the HB factory drive or was it more.... what happened to the HB driveshafts

Adrian

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #59
Tech Addict

Example of easy to access diffs...

Accessing the front diff

coming next... center diff & rear diff

Sponsors: