R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default OS Speed info

I have a OS Speed that has around 5 gallons through it. I am wanting to run it this summer for my primary race engine. It runs good and idles perfect. I am getting quite a bit of leakage out of the front bearing so I was thinking of replacing it. Is the rear bearing in the speed a ceramic? I am just trying to decide if I should change it while I have it opened up. Also trying to decide if I should pinch it. Like I said it runs good but the pinch with the plug out is almost no existant, but it seems to have pretty good compression with the plug in. I just hate to mess with something that works, but I guess if I am doing it correctly, now would be the time to pinch it. Let me know what you guys think.
hobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to ngo8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobdog View Post
I have a OS Speed that has around 5 gallons through it. I am wanting to run it this summer for my primary race engine. It runs good and idles perfect. I am getting quite a bit of leakage out of the front bearing so I was thinking of replacing it. Is the rear bearing in the speed a ceramic? I am just trying to decide if I should change it while I have it opened up. Also trying to decide if I should pinch it. Like I said it runs good but the pinch with the plug out is almost no existant, but it seems to have pretty good compression with the plug in. I just hate to mess with something that works, but I guess if I am doing it correctly, now would be the time to pinch it. Let me know what you guys think.
The front bearing on the speed is not ceramic but the rear is dont touch that one .My front bearing on my speed was leaking oil and even though i was told it is normal behaviour, i put in a ceramic one there is still a little oil that comes out but its no biggie that motor still rules no matter what idles like forever and great fuel mileage enjoy it you still have another 5 gallons on it .
Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to ngo8

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6250
ohh yeah this is the one i used .
Old 02-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

is it leaking out after it sits with after run in it? or is it when racing it? mine leak after i use after run and they sit for a while but they hold while the engine is running, if you are not having a tuning issue its probably just normal leakage
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

static leak on the speed is normal... front is a steel bearing, rear ceramic. i suppose you'll only need a conrod to get it to spec... as a worn rod will spoil the crank, which is not sold separately. with the plug out, it'll turn over as the pinch is not there. it'll still run nicely, in fact you'll have a little more top end. i think it's still good till it cannot idle properly... the bearings last a long time if you take care of it and it's not rusting...
HobbyThingzBlk 201-E, Tampines Street 23, #01-118, Singapore 520201. Tel: 65-67828311, HP: 65-97465015. www.hobbythingz.com, team@hobbythingz.com
Regional Sole Distributor for Team Associated, Orbit Electronics, J Concept and PolyButler. Dealer for Tamiya, Kyosho, GS, Proline, Byron, Os Engines, RB, Futaba, Sanwa, KO.....
Please note that we are closed every Tuesday and P.Holiday. Hours are: 12pm-9pm.
Maikaitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikaitan View Post
static leak on the speed is normal... front is a steel bearing, rear ceramic. i suppose you'll only need a conrod to get it to spec... as a worn rod will spoil the crank, which is not sold separately. with the plug out, it'll turn over as the pinch is not there. it'll still run nicely, in fact you'll have a little more top end. i think it's still good till it cannot idle properly... the bearings last a long time if you take care of it and it's not rusting...
Thanks for the responses guys. I never even thought about static leakage. I never used to use after run oil until I got this engine. The engine had been sitting a couple of weeks with after run oil in it. I probably had to much after run oil in it in the first place.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Just run it, run it and then run it some more.
rpm1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

if your front bearig is leaking, 95% of the time the LSN is too rich

I personally have never witnessed a leaking front bearing.... only an engine tuned with a fat LSN and lean HSN.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post

I personally have never witnessed a leaking front bearing.... only an engine tuned with a fat LSN and lean HSN.
That's funny that you say that. I have been thinking that the lsn could be a bit fat because after a long high speed run it would idle a bit high on occation. What was weird is that it would not always do it. I never messed with it because going off of smoke, there did not seem to be an exess of smoke of the bottom end, more of a consistant trail from bottom to top, and the engine could sit there for at least 10 seconds idling and take off clean. These engines run so good even if they are a bit off and I have always been one to leave it alone if it is working, but it would be nice to learn something. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #10
Tech Regular

I would be careful about the type of after-run oil that you use in this engine as it has a silicone filled crank. Any petrolium based oils can make the silicone swell and possibly become disslodged which could destroy that motor...
lowey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post

+1

Hoby, change the rod...or it will end up like Rev's Speed
Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobie1 View Post
+1

Hoby, change the rod...or it will end up like Rev's Speed
I believe it was you trying your hardest to replicate Rev's speed. It's a good thing you had a quality corner marshall (ha ha)!!
I have changed the rod once after break in, so i wouldn't think it needs it, but I will tear it down today and look at things. I have been using Monkey snot as my after run oil, I hope that it is not messing with the filled crank.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you changed it after break in, then you should be ok...and I will thank you again for saving my speed...

The thing about that runaway, was a wire broke on my lipo regulator. I had a throttle return band on it, but hadnt hooked it up... Its hooked up now. lol