R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to griz11
Default More Off-Road -- Video

It was too cold last weekend to make it to the first of the San Antonio Austin series races. Bummer since the entry list topped 140 This week was much better so I headed to San Antonio on Sat to get some footage. The new layout is nice with the huge jump in the middle. Actually twin jumps as you will see. The Petit Tetons

This weekend I'll be shooting the Texas Twister charity race in Austin. This is a benefit race for a beautiful little girl who has ongoing health problems. I'll be donating my footage to the group that is doing this for them to make a DVD that will be available later in the month. I'll post up the particulars as soon as the arrangements are made. I'll post up a teaser or two from the footage but to see it all you gotta get the DVD. Its for an excellent cause. She has been under the weather this past weekend so sign her guestbook at this address http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kenzieochoa I'm sure it will cheer her up.

Back to the business at hand Video.

www.promofo-racing.org/video/RCHQ/RCHQ-131.mp4

I should have the embedded download stuff working like the old stuff soon. Maybe later today.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Griz
Canon 7D EF400 EF70-200 EF40 Tamron SP70-300

Last edited by griz11; 02-02-2009 at 11:23 AM.
griz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

great video
looked like lots of fun
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Default Thanks

I took a break and went through my whole workflow trying to get the best image possible. Found a couple of things I was doing that done differently make a lot of difference.

The gang at RCHQ are a fun bunch. It seems to be a little more laid back than the other tracks in the area. They are always coming up with a fun raceday from time to time and they have a few yearly events that are geared towards more fun than competition. Its about 80 miles for me to get there from my place and about 45 to Austin. Not too bad either route is hilly country on farm roads so its not too busy.

Next weekend will be a huge race in Austin for charity. Someone is coming by to pick up my electric scooter so I'll have it at the races this weekend I can stay much longer and get lots more video if I have my scooter. So look forward to some video from that race after the weekend.

Griz
Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to jaco123

Nice Video and track!.. But Honestly too cold?? come to canada you'll like -20 weather..

Kyosho mp9 tki3
Xray T4
jaco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Default Yea I know I'm a wimp

I used to live in Colorado and now I'm just a big wimp. I lost over 100lb when I went through chemo and since then I get cold at the drop of a hat. When I woke up after my bypass surgery I thought I was going to die of shivering. Here it is always moist. In Colorado I could stand outside with a t-shirt when it was 32 deg if I stayed in the sunlight. Here and you are cold trying to do that. I think the coldest I've seen personally is -25 or so. It was too cold to do much of anything. I remember the clutch on my F-150 barely worked until the truck warmed up a bit then I had to add some fluid. It had shrunk so much it let it leak by the seal. Only time it happened.

Now I have too many holes in my body to get out in the cold. I come home walking like Frankenstein. And it gets worse from there. Man I wish I hadn't beat myself up so much when I was younger. You pay and pay for your foolishness when you get old and gray haired. It would be hard on the camera too. I think its rated at 35 deg. I do have a glove on it but it doesn't cover the lens. I can see it now filming a race when all of a sudden a huge crack appears That would hurt. In fact I really can't afford for anything to happen to my cameras. I treat them with kid gloves. They get a clean up as soon as I get home with a camel's hair brush to get all that nasty off-road dust off them. So far so good. Almost a year and not a bit of dust has gotten into the focus or zoom rings etc.

Actually I wish I had been into this stuff when I lived in Colorado. Man I went to some killer events of all kinds and could have done some killer vids. Especially snowmobiling and watching snowmobile mx and snowmobile drag racing on ice at Grand Lake Co. Never made it up to Canada. I was planning a trip to Lake Louise and Glacier but that was the summer I got sick and I never made it Hopefully gas will stay lower this year and I can roam a bit.

Griz
Old 02-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
Tech Adept

That song is by Flobots.
Dvx400Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Another great video griz. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adman View Post
Another great video griz. Thanks for sharing.
+1

Another nice video as usual. Thanks for taking the time to make such good videos for everyone. I'm sure it takes some time to get the footage and then the editing of it as well. Big props for continuing to do this..........
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Default Thanks guys my pleasure

I love the Bots and especially that song. It has a nice groove for synching up the clips too. Doesn't really take that long to make a video. I've made probably 200 or so. The capture and deinterlace take the longest but that happens while I'm sleeping. I shot just under an hour of tape and I expect it took about 4 hours to edit. Its all pure pleasure for me. I get out to hang with my friends and I have something to do during the week while I'm sitting here at the house. Anything I do I'm going to try and be the best at it. Its just my nature. I'm going to keep doing it for as long as I can get to the tracks on Saturdays. My Dr tells me its the best thing I can do to preserve my health. I'd probably make them even if noone watched. But I can't lie it feels great when people acknowledge your efforts

Griz
Old 02-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Tree

As usual, another great video Grizz. Keep up the good work.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Default Thanks

Thanks Tree. Just got back from the Texas Twister in Austin. Get this 170 drivers signed up for this charity event. It was packed. Biggest entry list I've seen ever for anything except the R/C Pro Finals. I shot about 3 hours of video which I'm going to edit and donate to the folks putting on the event so they can sell a DVD to help raise money for the little girl. I'd say we raised a bunch today between the racers the raffles, t-shirts, hoodies etc. Some excellent BBQ ( it is Tx after all ) But most of all a bunch of fine people. Times are hard and for that many people to show up to donate to this cause really shows me what this country is all about. I'll put up the info when they are going to start selling the DVD. I'm going to make a teaser to post online but to get the whole thing you gotta help this little girl with her health issues. I'm not making a dime out of it myself. Its all going to her. 100%. I'm going to try and do a really nice action packed DVD for everyone. Its my first hopefully things will go well. And its for a good cause too.

I had 3 people come up to me today and tell me they either started racing R/C cars or came back to R/C racing after watching my videos And none of them wanted to hit me for exposing them to this highly addicting sport either Made me feel pretty good. Usually they are more spread out. 3 in one day was almost too much. Can't be getting too pumped up after all I do have a heart condition. All in all a great day at N-Control R/C racetrack in Austin. A great layout for this race too. Nice and fast with big air and technical sections as well. I'll be heading back there for the 2nd race in the San Antonio Austin series in a few weeks. San Antonio won by a whisker in the first race so the Austin folks will be itching for payback. Next week its my yearly trip to Lake Whitney for the MX races. Might do a R/C race on Sat as well depends on how I'm feeling.

Griz