Wiki Posts
Search

Stalling after pitting.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 03:55 AM
Tech Regular

Default Stalling after pitting.

OK... Common question time.

My car has now begun to develope a habit of stalling if I gun the throttle hard after pitting. I have to do a lap being ginger on the throttle otherwise the car gets a free lift back to the pits.

What could be causing this?
Old 02-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Unless you have air leaks your fuel line from the tank to the motor is to short.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by The Working Man
Unless you have air leaks your fuel line from the tank to the motor is to short.
No air leaks. I test for that every outing.

How does a longer fuel line help.

My line is quite long already, so maybe I have missed an air leak...

Could be engine tune though.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

Just two guesses -
If it's tuning - bottom end is a little off, probably rich.
You are over filling the tank?

Hope you find it soon. I've expereinced the opposite - runaway throttle when pitting and it took me a couple of weeks to find the air leak. You obviously have a different problem but just as frustrating. good luck
Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A full tank of fuel gives the engine a richer feel than a tank that is half full. As the tank empties, it will lean out. So, it sounds like your bottom end is on the rich side. Try the pinch test by pinching the fuel tube about 1 inch from the inlet to the carb. The engine should run for about 3-5 seconds. If it runs longer than that, you are too rich and should lean the bottom at about 1/8th turn each time. Keep doing that test untill you get within the 3-5 second window.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

+1 to above post^^
sounds like the low end is loading up.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Try pitting a lap earlier and see if it still does it. Could be getting to lean when the tank nears empty, or just coming in to close to empty all together.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Are you running the d8 or losi, look at number 3 if you are

you could be having one or maltiple of the following issues

1.rich low end needle
2.air leak

3.the tank in the d8 and the losi is a little differant than than normal. the fuel leaves the tank at a lower exit point. when your at the end of a tank and you refill the car quickly the tank self primes. so you go from running with air bubbles in most of your line to solid guel and this loads up your engine.

i found that if you mount a fuel filter on your line it will increse runtime a little for when your cutting it close on fuel. also i feel that fuel filters allow a more consistent fuel flow to your engine this should also lessen the amount that your tank self primes.

the second thing that ive found to work well, is to mount you fuel line so it above the fuel exit point of the fuel tank. this will eleminate the tanks self priming, and make you engine more consistent.

i would look at the tank last. make sure that you do not have a air leak or something stupid thats messing with the engine gitting to little or to much fuel.

bast of luck, hopefully you get it figured out
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Be sure to clear your engine out after it's fueled. Have your pit guy hold it up for half a second or so and give it a couple good revs before he sets it down.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Be sure to clear your engine out after it's fueled. Have your pit guy hold it up for half a second or so and give it a couple good revs before he sets it down.

thats just wasted time, unless you have a system going which would never be 100% right your pit guy would get hurt. if your buggy is doing somethin it not supposed to do then you need to fix the problem. which most people have said that its to rich and i must agree
Old 02-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Had the same problem w/ my sons buggy. After replacing fuel lines it's o.k. What i think was happening was the fuel line was a little soft or possible pin hole & it would not presurize the tank quik enough. When i got the buggy there was no fuel in the line. It also seemed to take too long to fill the line when first starting after running out of fuel. Hope that helps. Let us know what fixes it.