R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Truggy decisions!!...want some real personal opinions...

ok so ive been having a great time since getting back into the hobby and hope to be competitive with a lil more pratice...getting better already...lol...well i want a truggy so i can race both buggy and truggy class but im in a pickle...i went with a d8 when i got back into the hobby and couldnt be happier with my decision...i know they are going to release a d8 truggy but i imagine it wont be for a while...i really dont want to wait but i know i will own it one way or another when it comes out...i want something i can tinker with for a couple of months till it does though...i see guys having great success with 8ight t(1.0 2.0 out of budget) they are always up there at my local tracks...and its in my price range...300 bucks for the kit...ive also seen a couple guys with cens's looking good...the associated kit is a lil out my price range and havent heard much about the rtr version...basically what do u guys think would be my best bet...i plan on going with the go-tech .25 if i go with a kit...i have pipe and electronics...just need my roller...also hear ok things about the 8ight t rtr...what u guys think...so many choices!!!...my head hurts lol...also think going with a kit is better because when the d8 truggy comes out i can swap everything over and sell the other car or keep it as a spare
mist467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The answer you seek is reading the last 50 pages of this forum
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Tech Master

eight-t
$304.99 with coupon code.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9725

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Tech Addict

ohhh trust me i have...lol...and thats exactly what put me in this spot!!!...lol...before doing some research today for the last couple hours i was set on the 8ight...i had seen some cens do ok at the track and a couple ofna's...but now after reading alot of opinions im stuck even more...lol...basically i want a truggy that will be forgiving since im just getting back in the hobby but that can be competitive given the chance and upgrades...i know when the d8 comes out im going to get it forsure!!...but untill then i need a new toy...and plus i just got my tax refund
Old 02-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #5

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

2 classes is a biatch, both on the wallet and on race day. more fuel, more filters, more work, in ur case possibly 2 starter boxes or a really good eye. more tires more bearings more fuel line. lookin at ur budgetary concerns, i'd pass on the fuel-powered lunar rovers with turret syndrome.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
Tech Addict

hmmm...well my budget has nothing to do with race day or general cost of the hobby...gas, ect...its more there becuase i dont want to spend 600 bucks on a kit and then spend lets say 400 more when the d8 comes out...and i also really just want to have 2 cars...sometimes something breaks on a race day or fun practice...and with my luck its always the one thing i dont have extra of or cant find...lol...so this gives me the oppurtunity to always have a back and not cut my fun day short
Old 02-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

8ight-T racer roller is the most bang for the buck if you must buy brand new. The rest are on updated models so they're expensive. The MBX5T is still a bad ass Truggy, and people seem to be moving them fairly cheap. I paid $275 shipped (brand new) for my Losi 8ight-T Racer Roller from modhobby.com.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
Tech Addict

and i did contemplate getting another buggy instead of a truggy...but i dont know...i figured it would just be nice to be able to run another class...maybe i can just spend 300 or 400 bucks on making my d8 nicer...lol...i have been wanting a nicer servo
Old 02-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #9

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist467 View Post
hmmm...well my budget has nothing to do with race day or general cost of the hobby...gas, ect...its more there becuase i dont want to spend 600 bucks on a kit and then spend lets say 400 more when the d8 comes out...and i also really just want to have 2 cars...sometimes something breaks on a race day or fun practice...and with my luck its always the one thing i dont have extra of or cant find...lol...so this gives me the oppurtunity to always have a back and not cut my fun day short
i used to bullshite myself w/that. if u carry the right parts and run the same things for a while (thus u accumulate), that shouldnt be a prob. especially if u like workin on ur car at the track.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

since you already run d8 its not possible to swap parts. i always drag my 8t along with my losi 8 to the track whether i run both or not and if somthing breaks i know i can switch parts.

man the 8t at 275 at modhobbys unreal. kind of makes a decision easy. then as well the bx5t's nice too. id go with parts avaliability and if theres others at tracks you race to compare set-up info with either.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I personally would go with a used Kyosho Strr over a new Losi. It is the best truggy out there, we've ran the Losi before so we have ran both.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Racer View Post
I personally would go with a used Kyosho Strr over a new Losi. It is the best truggy out there, we've ran the Losi before so we have ran both.

Rex
From what I've seen locally the RC8T is preferred. Plus in our area no one runs Kyosho and there aren't any parts locally. Honestly, they're all pretty nice, go with what has local parts support and your local racers run so you can use their expertise and parts.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Yep, the ST RR is the only truggy I would run!!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I would take a hard look at the MBX5T if you can find a new kit for around $300, imo it's much less prone to parts failure than the first version losi truggy.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmartin View Post
I would take a hard look at the MBX5T if you can find a new kit for around $300, imo it's much less prone to parts failure than the first version losi truggy.
X2 on that. The basic MBX5T is a great truck.

My second thing would be the STRR. Better than the Mugen in some ways, others not.

And ive driven the 8ight T. I did not like it at all. But to somebody else it may be perfect. Im just not feeling it with that truck.