R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 02-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)

If you just want something to play with until the D8 truggy hits the shelves you can pick up a X1-CRT roller CHEAP, tons of parts availability and from what I can tell (just picked one up myself) it looks to be a nice truck. A few of the guys at my club are running 8T's 8ight 2.0's and MBX's so we'll see how the Jammin does against them

(although it does have super BB's, BCE chassis and the buggy center diff and HB LST ring & pinion gears so it should perform well)

Or like you said, you could use the $ to upgrade and make your buggy more competitive and get some of the "consumeable" parts that you'll need throughout the race season.
mfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I like my 8ight bu I haven't raced it yet.
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i have practice at a local track on tue...im gonna mess with a couple buddy's truggies and see what i like...its just always hard becuase of independent setups and some might have better parts then others...but i should be able to get a genereal feel for em...i do need some stuff for the d8 though...wanted to get some carbon parts and a better steering servo to..my ace went dead on me and its fairly new...im going to stick to jr or hitec...those new futaba bls servos look nice too...anyone have any experience with them??
mist467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bad_b4

id get whatever is cheap,like a ST-R,X1-CRT...and try it first,you may not like it....then after you get some practice and decide it is or is not for you,then go buy the new one,and put all your old gear in that and sell of the 1st one.

just my opinion,i just bought a X1-CRT,and then got a bunch of parts from mfrosty,so im stocked up and im less than $150 into a roller with parts...i put in my own engine and electronics,now im just waiting for the snow to melt so i can go play.

if i decide i like it,i will get the Kyosho ST-RR in a new kit and go that route,but for a cheap roller you cant beat the X1-CRT..and alot of the X2-CRT stuff interchanges..like the super big bores,top load servo saver,and some of the plastics,and there are a bunch on here for a really good deal.
bad_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The D8 based truggy looks interesting..and not necessarily in a good way either..right now the trend in truggy design seems to be moving the motor even farther forward than it already is..the D8Truggy that I saw run had the motor basically in the middle of the chassis, just an opinion but on lose tracks it makes for a very sketchy truggy, the new Losi 2.0 moves the motor up..I guess it depends on what type of track you race on and how you expect your truggy to handle, You are right their are a few really good truggies out their..For under $300 your limiting your self to used, personally I would not get an RC8 RTR..they really went cheap on this one..not the same truggy as the FT RC8..Kyosho ST-RR other than their brittle front ends and that traction "thing" on lose tracks..their good, The Losi 8T rewards smooth drivers..get to aggressive and it will not do well, and other than that "alleged" throttle servo problems their pretty good and nowadays cheap..Mugen MBX5T..Tough as nails..pushes like a dump truck compared to the newer designed truggies on the market..and no one really makes big bores for it..just goes to show you that all truggies have their problems..and I would run a .21 instead of a .25..this way if you have problems with your motor in buggy you have a legal back up motor..
Old 02-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It really depends on the track you run on if you want to run two classes. I ran MT and Buggy last year and I still use the same tires I started with on both because of the dirt my track uses doesn't eat the tires like some of these blue groove tracks. If you are no preparred it can be hetic, but if you get there early and get set up it's a breeze.
That said I would go with the 8ight T because it's a steal compared to the rest.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

2 classes at a club race will keep you extremely busy. It seems like you are always racing or corner marshalling with no time to work on your stuff.

I usually just run 1 class at a club race, and for the large 3 day events I'll run 2 classes.

In my opinion, the best bang for your buck truggy out there is the 8T 1.0. It's a steal at $300.
kevinmajor is offline   Reply With Quote