Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why "blip" the throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Default Why "blip" the throttle?

it only took a few years to notice this. (i'm slow ).. buy why do most of you guys do this? i roll into the throttle and never blip, and is it just something i carried over from electric racing? so is there a benifit to blipping? ?
Old 01-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Clears out the engine, helps prevent flameout...but you will be a much better racer than most, coming from electric..the smoother you are on the trigger, the better you will be..Increased runtimes, better traction, better stearing, etc.

if your engine is perfectly tuned, blipping is not necessary
Tech Addict

Im eager to know to, Im just getting into proper track racing.. 1st meet soon. But apparently Its good to Blip-Not sure why. But one guy said I blip too much, which I can see as I have only practiced at the track a few times..ect.. So I should slowly get smoother on the throttle. But yea im wondering too?
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default throttle

It helps in keeping rpm up exiting a turn or approaching a jump.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
it only took a few years to notice this. (i'm slow ).. buy why do most of you guys do this? i roll into the throttle and never blip, and is it just something i carried over from electric racing? so is there a benifit to blipping? ?
if an engines fresh or new or tunes funny might be necessary. then just out of habit. engine stall after you get to drivers stand sucks. and keep temp up
Old 01-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Clears out the engine, helps prevent flameout...but you will be a much better racer than most, coming from electric..the smoother you are on the trigger, the better you will be..Increased runtimes, better traction, better stearing, etc.

if your engine is perfectly tuned, blipping is not necessary
I don't have flame outs, in fact it's only happined when I run out of fuel. So I must be a "better racer"
Old 01-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 8&stuff
if an engines fresh or new or tunes funny might be necessary. then just out of habit. engine stall after you get to drivers stand sucks. and keep temp up
yea i do blip when i'm going to the drivers stand. i should have stated the question as "when i'm on the track". sorry for the confusion
Old 01-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

2 reasons mainly

1. 2stroke motors generally dont like a constant throttle they tend to loose the crisp crack when you punch it from loading up the combustion chamber slightly short inputs help clear this.

2. Certain corners and approaches to jumps need some snap from the clutch. If you are rolling with a slight throttle input the clutch shoes are already on the bell and will loose some grunt from this. If you can time your throttle inputs so the clutch comes on hard at the approach to a jump or coming out of tight corner the engine doesnt work as hard. hope that makes sense. Ever watch the old 125 moto guys work the clutch.
Some guys are blippers they drive the whole track on off on off on off... i just laugh. Especially if they ever try mod buggy.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
yea i do blip when i'm going to the drivers stand. i shuld have stated the question as "whem i'm on the track". sorry for the confusion
i figured after i read other 3 posts(my bad) at 449 my time lol im slow writer...i see what your saying now..i idle no blips,normally
Old 01-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

keeps engine moving fuel through the crankcase and not loading up and gives you a feel for where the clutch is at in engagement so you can tell where the clutch will hit and fling your car forward
happy motorin',
monty
Old 01-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
keeps engine moving fuel through the crankcase and not loading up and gives you a feel for where the clutch is at in engagement so you can tell where the clutch will hit and fling your car forward
happy motorin',
monty

X2...the loading up is the biggest issue i feel.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You all need to tune your motors and adjust the clutches on your cars. You lose snap in your clutch when it constantly engages on/off, anytime shits moving it creates heat, the less the clutch shoes/springs move, the less heat buildup. This scientifically proven fact would explain the reason you all lack the punch needed.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by o.s. power
You all need to tune your motors and adjust the clutches on your cars. You lose snap in your clutch when it constantly engages on/off, anytime shits moving it creates heat, the less the clutch shoes/springs move, the less heat buildup. This scientifically proven fact would explain the reason you all lack the punch needed.
Oh, Snap!!!!!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think this should be considered as an advanced technique for power management as well as a crutch for poor tuners.

Good drivers can use it for cornering, jumping and acceleration advantages.

Poor tuners use it to keep their car from dying due to a bad clutch or carb tuning or engine condition.

After forever driving electric, in 2007 I started racing 1/8th's and one guy would tell me it was cool that I drove the thing like a 12th scale onroad. I would look so slow because my car was quiet and rolling through corners rather than roosting. I TQ'd my first 4 club races and won the 5th and the points series this way.

My thought is that it's more important to be smooth rather than blipping like everybody else. Save blipping for when you need it rather than doing it just because you see everybody doing it. Know why your doing it.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Addict

Yea, I kinda agree.. beig smooth on the throttle is better.. But for me, its getting usd to the hole racing things aswell. I think when I have had a fair bit of practice, I will become smoother.. which Will help my driving alot.. some like to blip some dont haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.