Wiki Posts
Search

Hyper 7 Running Slugish But Temp Is Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Hyper 7 Running Slugish But Temp Is Up

I got 3 tanks through on my sons hyper7 during break in at idle. Rich settings for the break in process. Break in went really smooth and I could here the engine settling in. I left all of the needles alone and ran figure 8s on the 4th tank with rich settings however the temp shot up to just over 200 degrees. I never got past half throtle on the trigger. When I would give it some quick burst of gas from the trigger it seemed extremely sluggish.

My questions is??? should it be running just over 200 degrees on a rich setting or is this to hot. I noticed that for the most part it was around 180 or so and didnt get that hot until the gas started to get low. When the gas got low the engine starting reving up past a normal idle sound. As the gas got lower alsmost running out the engine pitch kept getting higher. Is this normal. What is the ideal temp for the hyper 7 engine?

It just seems like there may be a problem as usually on my losi 8 b i never had this happen. Yes the temp would get higher when running out of gas but the engine would not change as mutch in pitch.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

200 isn't too high during break in, figure the engine will probably run 230 or better once it's tuned. I assume it's sluggish like it's fat, and not like a lean bog, that should go away when you tune it. Not real familiar with the Hyper 7, but make sure that the fuel pickup is getting all of the fuel from the tank, it it loses contact as the tank gets low then it will lean the engine more than it should. You might also check the clutch and make sure you didn't break a spring, etc.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

start getting heat into the engine before you damage it.

230 to 280f is fine ... if you dont get heat into it the piston will linnish its self into an unexpanded sleeve , this will cause you big problems later on.

what happens when the engine is cold is the shock of the piston hitting the unexpanded sleeve will damage the rod and rear bearing ... this will become apparent around the 4 to 6 litre mark ..

MM
Old 01-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

You culd be way lean on the LSN and way too rich on th HSN. I had this problem yesterday at the track with a new mill. HAd killer low end but just not the top I needed. Every time I touched the needles temps shot up. I turned the HSN 1 full turn in and the LSN 1 full turn out. Still killer low end but now I have insane top along with a 40 dgree drop in temps.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:25 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

colder than 200 is generally believed to be simply 'wearing' the engine.

200 is a good place to break in an engine. do not let ur engine run colder than that. after ur breakin/heat cycling is done, go easy on the needles til it start gettin to max power. still smoking on the throttle.

dont get married to a temp though, it will be ur undoing if u do.

R
Old 01-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i like my engine to be between 220-240

the engine should raise its idle because its getting more air and less fuel. that equals more rpm

sounds like you have a lean bog. the weather changed on me and my cars tune was shot and it turned into a lean bog. the low end was wayyyy to rich and the high end was a bit too lean. my car would stall out. i leaned the low speed alot and richened the high speed. now she runs like a champ!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ace921000
i like my engine to be between 220-240

the engine should raise its idle because its getting more air and less fuel. that equals more rpm

sounds like you have a lean bog. the weather changed on me and my cars tune was shot and it turned into a lean bog. the low end was wayyyy to rich and the high end was a bit too lean. my car would stall out. i leaned the low speed alot and richened the high speed. now she runs like a champ!
+1 on the lean bog i run my motors depending on make and model around 220-265.lean the bottom, and play with the top buy riching up it until you have a good results

good luck