Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Futaba bls351 servo...just picked one up... >

Futaba bls351 servo...just picked one up...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba bls351 servo...just picked one up...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Futaba bls351 servo...just picked one up...

just wanted to let everyone know i picked one up today and so far impressed...makes my ace look like nothing...i know its a pricey servo and not for everyone...will have it out on the track tom lets see how it goes...i got it for 130 from my lhs...superior hobbies here in orlando...about 20 bucks less then amain...its has a lil over 200 tq wise so i hope it doesnt feel like overkill for a buggy..pretty quick though...anyone else have one???
Old 02-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

I drove a friends 808 with that servo for steering. I really liked it. I didnt feel like it was overkill. Very fast away and back to center and I dont see how one could have too much torque. He and I have virturally the same radio set-up except for my steering servo is a standard digital S351. He has been using this servo for I guess close to a year on two different buggies and I havent seen any issues with it.

My next set of servos will be BLS351 for steering and the BLS451 for throttle/brake. I dont feel like anyone could go wrong with the brushless servos from Futaba, but I dont think there is a "the best" servo out there, from any manufactuer.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

cool...thats just what i want to hear...ive never driven a buggy with one...my friend has a 8ight t with one...and felt pretty nice and is what made me go with it...i pretty much went to my lhs set on another hitec...i used to run hitec and then tried a ace...i wont do that again...i forgot how nice it was to have a 3 year warr when my ace took a crap about 3 months old...lol...but he assured me i would be happy and if i had any problems he would take care of me...he was also a hitec guy but says hes been running the bls for a while now and wont go back...
Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NCWC
I drove a friends 808 with that servo for steering. I really liked it. I didnt feel like it was overkill. Very fast away and back to center and I dont see how one could have too much torque. He and I have virturally the same radio set-up except for my steering servo is a standard digital S351. He has been using this servo for I guess close to a year on two different buggies and I havent seen any issues with it.

My next set of servos will be BLS351 for steering and the BLS451 for throttle/brake. I dont feel like anyone could go wrong with the brushless servos from Futaba, but I dont think there is a "the best" servo out there, from any manufactuer.
What kind of receiver battery are they running and how long does it last. I have heard that these brushless servos drain alot of juice. I want to try them but don't want to lose power in a 45 min main.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A friend of mine fried two of these in two days on his Losi.Although Losi 1.0 was kind of frying T. servos anyway.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

i was also wondering what batt others are running with it...im running a ofna hump pack 1700mah...thing is futaba recomends ni-cd...so im wondering how NiMH will hold up...i guess ill find out tom
Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Frank L
What kind of receiver battery are they running and how long does it last. I have heard that these brushless servos drain alot of juice. I want to try them but don't want to lose power in a 45 min main.
I am not sure about how much time he gets from a charge. He runs an Orion Marathon 1600 flat pack. We run 20 min mains and usually if his main is last he will stay on the track for a couple more tanks. Im pretty sure he has went 45min before but I wasnt really timing. 2 tanks at an average of 7-8 mins after a 20min main is all over 45mins. This is with a brushless servo for steering only, he uses a standard digital Futaba for throttle.

If you read on Futaba's website they inform you to make sure your reciever pack is up to the challenge of supplying current when using these servos. So if someone told you these servos sucked their battery dry, they may have totally ignored this information and used a battery that wasnt up to the task.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vti-chris
A friend of mine fried two of these in two days on his Losi.Although Losi 1.0 was kind of frying T. servos anyway.
Yea, something about the 8ight throttle linkage would put strain on the servo if it wasnt installed correctly.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Tech Addict

well thats not bad...i know its gonna suck a lil power...he's running NiMH though right??...i dont know why futaba recomends ni-cd...i mean i havent seen anyone run a ni-cd in a long time...i remeber the older digital futaba servos said the same thing on the package...i think more then anything they are just warning not to use dry cells...i dont see why anyone would run ni-cd
Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have the BLS352 for steering and throttle in my MBX6. Very quick, and running a 1600 mah pack that lasts all day. I have run from 10 am till 5 pm, 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon on one charge. They seem very efficient to me.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mist467
well thats not bad...i know its gonna suck a lil power...he's running NiMH though right??...i dont know why futaba recomends ni-cd...i mean i havent seen anyone run a ni-cd in a long time...i remeber the older digital futaba servos said the same thing on the package...i think more then anything they are just warning not to use dry cells...i dont see why anyone would run ni-cd

He is using NiMH.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Addict

ok that makes me feel alot better...lol...i always top off in between races where i can...so i wasnt too worried...if i can race all day with the bls for steering and not have to charge up then ill get another bls for throttle for sure...i was just a lil scared about batt time...
Old 02-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I run the BLS for throttle and steering on my buggy. I run a 1200 mah lipo with a reg. On race day I usually run 2-3 tanks of practice, then (3) 6 min quals with 2-3 mins of warm up for each qual and run a 15 min main with NO ISSUES...my car will run ruffly 12 mins on a tank of fuel so yeah I get WELL over a hr using TWO of the bls351 servos on a 1200 lipo
Old 02-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

BLS servos are great. i got 451 for throttle and 452 for steering n my D8 and after 1,5 hours of practice running i put back 800mah in my receiver liPo pack.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Since they came out I really wanted to try them, but I really thought that having brushless motors in them they would have more power and transit time than they do. I am not nocking them I am just stating my thoughts. I have tried them and do feel that they are under rated on the transit time.