R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default am I right or wrong?

when the track is "slick" you want to use a firmer foam correct? the more the traction the softer the foam and less traction you use a firmer foam...

on our indoor track it can be ruffly 40 degress inside so it quite cold which makes the track harder and slicker so a fimer foam should give more tracion then a soft or med foam correct?

Thanks,
Ryan
blktransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

softer suspension=traction

firmer/stiffer suspension=less traction

on any part: spring, oil, insert, chassis etc
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:

+1
Losi 8ight.....Dynamite Platinum 21XP..........JR8800T's
www.trackseekers.com
yaright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

so a softer foam will give more traction?
blktransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

foam dosent really make that much of a difference,if its to soft then u can have handling issues,u definatley would want a softer compound tire, and lighter shock fluid for those kind of temps
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i would argue that foam does make a big difference. Best example, run stock proline foams and AKA foams back to back......
Old 01-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

the foam isnt gonna change the handling as much as softer shock oil and softer compound tires, i have run aka and prolines the same day, i dont notice much of a difference from the handling because of the foams, the prolines are fairly firm also on the v2 rims
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I noticed a huge difference, so much so that if i were to run AKA tires i would actually change my suspension setup specifically for those foams...

which in a nutshell is why i don't run AKA's.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFriery View Post
I noticed a huge difference, so much so that if i were to run AKA tires i would actually change my suspension setup specifically for those foams...

+1
KBRL Nitro Series
www.youtube.com/gsadvanced
Marcus Falconie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFriery View Post

When I raced AKA for the first time, I had to lighten my suspension a little to compensate for there ridgid foam. (Approx 5-7 less weight F & R) So now I run AKA's with OFNA Red/Orange foams. (And sell the AKA Foams) These are the foams I use in all my other tires (Pro-line, Panther, etc. etc.) and I didn't like having to change my setup just to use a AKA tires. I like AKA, but not there foam on the tracks surface I race at.

Quote:

+1

X-Ray 808 (Active Diff)
BCE 8X8 Pro Chassis
OS Speed (XCustoms Head Mod)
Hitec 5995TG (S&T)
M11 & Spectrum.
Steve Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktransam View Post
when the track is "slick" you want to use a firmer foam correct? the more the traction the softer the foam and less traction you use a firmer foam...

on our indoor track it can be ruffly 40 degress inside so it quite cold which makes the track harder and slicker so a fimer foam should give more tracion then a soft or med foam correct?

Thanks,
Ryan
The firmness of the insert is less of an issue - you should focus on rubber compound. A slick track favors softer compounds. Years ago I would have said that a softer insert would be better, but after testing the AKA, OFNA, Proline, Panther and other foams on a dozen or so different tracks ranging from smooth to blown out, slick to blue groove, there's nothing better than the standard AKA inserts, especially when using soft compound tires.

Soft inserts basically collapse and fail to support the weight of the car in the corners and in the bumps, which causes the tire to smash flat against the rim. It's pretty common that tires with crappy, soft inserts will just ride on the rim during cornering, which makes the handling inconsistent because you're not using as much of the tread when the tire folds under the rim. The AKA inserts keep the shape of the tire even with the softer compounds, so there's more of the tire on the track than with any of the other inserts.

I've found that any tire works better and more consistently on any track surface with the AKA inserts. the guys that say they can't get them to work either have something terribly wrong, or they're talking themselves into the fact that they don't work without giving themselves time to make them work. The car does drive differently, but no setup change is required. Typically the car is more responsive to steering input, but no less hooked up. I find that the AKA inserts give the car a more consistent feel lap after lap. I also go through 10 to 15 sets of tires before I replace the AKA inserts - all others are dead within a single race day. Most of the pro drivers here in SoCal (and there's a lot of them) are stuffing AKA inserts in their tires even though they're sponsored by another tire company because they're that much better. If you're pulling the AKA inserts out of the AKA tires, you really need your head examined.
rcg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:41 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg33k View Post
The firmness of the insert is less of an issue - you should focus on rubber compound. A slick track favors softer compounds. Years ago I would have said that a softer insert would be better, but after testing the AKA, OFNA, Proline, Panther and other foams on a dozen or so different tracks ranging from smooth to blown out, slick to blue groove, there's nothing better than the standard AKA inserts, especially when using soft compound tires.

Soft inserts basically collapse and fail to support the weight of the car in the corners and in the bumps, which causes the tire to smash flat against the rim. It's pretty common that tires with crappy, soft inserts will just ride on the rim during cornering, which makes the handling inconsistent because you're not using as much of the tread when the tire folds under the rim. The AKA inserts keep the shape of the tire even with the softer compounds, so there's more of the tire on the track than with any of the other inserts.

I've found that any tire works better and more consistently on any track surface with the AKA inserts. the guys that say they can't get them to work either have something terribly wrong, or they're talking themselves into the fact that they don't work without giving themselves time to make them work. The car does drive differently, but no setup change is required. Typically the car is more responsive to steering input, but no less hooked up. I find that the AKA inserts give the car a more consistent feel lap after lap. I also go through 10 to 15 sets of tires before I replace the AKA inserts - all others are dead within a single race day. Most of the pro drivers here in SoCal (and there's a lot of them) are stuffing AKA inserts in their tires even though they're sponsored by another tire company because they're that much better. If you're pulling the AKA inserts out of the AKA tires, you really need your head examined.
+1 well said
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Lmao@ this thread turned into a AKA insert thread. I guess I need to try some.

If the track is slick you don't want to run stiffer foam but you dont want to go too soft either because the tire will roll over in the corners. It's like in NASCAR, if the car is tight ( pushing in the turns) sometimes they will increase the tire pressure in the rear tires and it will loosing it up. If it is Loose they will decrease it for more traction. Like in drag racing, for more traction they will let air out the rear tires.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

All this time I thought if you needed more traction, you used Reino's Ragu!!! Silly me
Old 01-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Foams make a big difference. The track I run at is the classic hard packed dirt. I did some laps with medium stiff foam and the car stuck in the hard packed down sections of the track. I then put on the set of wheels with stiff foam and through the first turn the rear end of the car slid out a bit. It couldn't grip as well on the hard packed surface of the track.
ace921000 is offline   Reply With Quote