Wiki Posts
Search

***LOSI STARTER BOX OVERHAUL***

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default ***LOSI STARTER BOX OVERHAUL***

I got my Losi starter box last week, from the start I heard what a turd the stock wiring and white plastic connectors are. I had two extra Pro-Tek 2S 15C 4000mAh batteries so I figured they'd go in the box. I was told to expect a meltdown with the stock connectors so I decided to do a little work. What we have here is a new Losi 8ight/T box with Dean's Wet Noodle 12AWG throughout and 2 x Pro-Tek 4000mAh batteries. I think my soldering station has now more than paid for itself. On other tip, with the Losi box to keep the plastic from melting on the plunger contacts, put a couple of washers under the metal taps to help dissipate heat.

Last edited by rearviewmirror; 01-29-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Rookie

very nice!! how long did it take to do all this?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by n_money
very nice!! how long did it take to do all this?
About 2 1/2 hours total, I was by no means going fast, and I did a lot of measuring and basically worked it off a drawing I made taking it all apart.

A guy on our local forum recommend getting rid of the plunger switch, well not getting rid of, but eliminating the flow of high current through it and instead having it power a relay which would then fire up the motors. I'm working out how to wire in a relay today.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:58 AM
Tech Adept

awesome job!

what kind of soldering station did you get?
Old 01-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by schufflerbot
awesome job!

what kind of soldering station did you get?

Hakko 936

It makes soldering tasks easy and enjoyable.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I did the same thing to my losi box. I soldered all the connections but I am using a 12 volt gel cell. So far my box hasn't let me down.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

I would like to have a discussion on wiring in a relay to the box so current isn't passed through the ON/OFF switch and plunger switch. Rather those would be required to work together to send the signal to the relay which would then handle the high current the motors draw. This would help address some of the weak points in the box, those being the plunger switch and the ON/OFF switch.

Seriously, if anyone has any ideas on a simple way to wire this up please post up.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you are looking to put a relay why not look at car stero kits for amps and put in a big fuse to handle the power?
Old 01-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lethal19
If you are looking to put a relay why not look at car stero kits for amps and put in a big fuse to handle the power?
Yep.. that's an option. Just a regular car starter relay or headlight relay should do the trick as well. Just trying to figure out how to utilize two lipo batteries in series to be wired to the relay then provide the main circuit for the motors.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I would like to have a discussion on wiring in a relay to the box so current isn't passed through the ON/OFF switch and plunger switch. Rather those would be required to work together to send the signal to the relay which would then handle the high current the motors draw. This would help address some of the weak points in the box, those being the plunger switch and the ON/OFF switch.

Seriously, if anyone has any ideas on a simple way to wire this up please post up.
I don't know about a relay but I did see a box once that had a dead band bush button switch mounted under the plunger switch, so that when the plunger was puched down it would activate the switch. It used the center shaft of the plunger switch to activate the push button switch. When the plunger is pushed down the center shaft protrudes below the plastics, this was used to push the button. It completely eliminates the plunger switch and looks very clean. I'm sure you could find a high capactiy push botton switch that would be suitable.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
I don't know about a relay but I did see a box once that had a dead band bush button switch mounted under the plunger switch, so that when the plunger was puched down it would activate the switch. It used the center shaft of the plunger switch to activate the push button switch. When the plunger is pushed down the center shaft protrudes below the plastics, this was used to push the button. It completely eliminates the plunger switch and looks very clean. I'm sure you could find a high capactiy push botton switch that would be suitable.
Thanks. I'm going to wire in a relay, the plunger switch is a good switch for activating a relay, not so good for passing high current through however.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Champion

Here I found a link to what i'm talking about. It was an old xtm starter box.

here is the switch
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146057.asp

you can kinda see how it is mounted in these
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146055.asp

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146053.asp
Old 01-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Here I found a link to what i'm talking about. It was an old xtm starter box.

here is the switch
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146057.asp

you can kinda see how it is mounted in these
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146055.asp

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146053.asp
That looks pretty good. I might see about fabricating a different switch if needed. Either a better switch a relay I guess. That motor looks good in that starter box, that's how they all should be. Much more torque and you can't burn that kind of motor out.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
That looks pretty good. I might see about fabricating a different switch if needed. Either a better switch a relay I guess. That motor looks good in that starter box, that's how they all should be. Much more torque and you can't burn that kind of motor out.
Yep just like the good ol' ofna chrome top. But what i really like is the ofna truggy start box with 2 big 775 motors in it. I have always thought about modding my losi box with truggy start internals but never have.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Yep just like the good ol' ofna chrome top. But what i really like is the ofna truggy start box with 2 big 775 motors in it. I have always thought about modding my losi box with truggy start internals but never have.
This box looks like it would be bad ass for the price w/ a big 14.8 lipo right next to that motor. I need a starter box for my MBX6, I might consider one of these. Are they any good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.