R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #61
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Xray have always been this way about there drivers, I think it'll be very hard for them to win any of the International Races as they simply don't have the drivers.

That said I believe they've possibly the best buggy package available to anyone!

I bought the first touring car they released back in 2000 the T1, even then there product was amazing quality and imediately they became the standard by which others were judged.

In the UK Xray models have a really good following in every class, I believe its because people appreciate the quality materials and good design of the products and don't need to see superstars winning with them to understand what an awesome product they are. Sure Xray could reduce the budget at the factory and pay for top drivers to win the BIG international meetings, this in turn would see there products getting even better exposure world wide and they'd possibly sell more, that said the product you and I purchase would have decreased in quality to fund the big name drivers.

I like the Xray set-up just the way it is thanks ...

Rod
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #62
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
Xray have always been this way about there drivers, I think it'll be very hard for them to win any of the International Races as they simply don't have the drivers.

That said I believe they've possibly the best buggy package available to anyone!

I bought the first touring car they released back in 2000 the T1, even then there product was amazing quality and imediately they became the standard by which others were judged.

In the UK Xray models have a really good following in every class, I believe its because people appreciate the quality materials and good design of the products and don't need to see superstars winning with them to understand what an awesome product they are. Sure Xray could reduce the budget at the factory and pay for top drivers to win the BIG international meetings, this in turn would see there products getting even better exposure world wide and they'd possibly sell more, that said the product you and I purchase would have decreased in quality to fund the big name drivers.

I like the Xray set-up just the way it is thanks ...

Rod

I understand what your saying but if other companys can do it why can't they? I think they spend to much money on luxury items like there indoor tracks, those tracks are amazing "beautiful" and how about all those mini cars they design? Too much time on toy's imo. Are those mini's popular in the UK?

All they would need is a couple drivers not a whole army like losi and AE.
arm2storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm2storm View Post
I understand what your saying but if other companys can do it why can't they? I think they spend to much money on luxury items like there indoor tracks, those tracks are amazing "beautiful" and how about all those mini cars they design? Too much time on toy's imo. Are those mini's popular in the UK?

What other companies are you refering to exactly?

Those indoor tracks might be a "luxury" to you, but XRAY is footing the bill for 'em; they may very well regard them as investments.

2 "star" drivers might well cost as much as a whole bunch of club-level drivers. They likely spent a fair amount of time developing a business plan and you're talking about 1-200K a year easily for those drivers. They seem to be making it work for them so far with the current business model.

Also, you have to take into account the availability of drivers: drivers have contracts, they can't simply go pick up someone else's car and race it at the drop of a hat, so consider that most of the "stars" may not be available, even if the funds might be. Owing to that, unless they can secure someone who can justify the financial investment, it may not be worthwhile to make the change. In a nutshell, it's not as simple a change as you might think.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #64
Tech Elite

X-ray was in the b main at the worlds. Thats close enough for me. If you look hard enough you'll see 'em finishing well everywhere.

At least you can't make a wrong decision between these two. Probally the best two cars out there right now. I'm trying to decide between the two as well.

I'm buying the 808. Active diffs and a more Losi-like desighn sealed the deal. Lighter weight helps also. Better plastic and fit/finish. Plus after seeing hudys web site with such detail, and after downloading the instructions, the luxery part is becoming obvious.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #65
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Its not like they are not trying. The Nitro Pit had a race a few months back, and the winner got an XRAY sponsorship...My buddy Wayne won, and he is now a sponsored driver. XRAY and RCAMERICA. he dont get paid, but he gets kits and parts at Cost, including HUDY stuff. I think XRAY is trying to get a band of drivers together..even if they are not top guys, in hopes that they will become better drivers and world famous drivers using Xray products. How much better would the story be, if a Novice, or sportsman driver became a pro, and won races all over the world simply because he/she started driving XRAY!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:15 PM   #66
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm2storm View Post

I'd have to agree there, But I believe they have a quality team that work with them already. I think it's simply structured differently to other major players and doesn't include big $$ names. They use there team to test and help develop there products mainly as I see it. I believe AE/LOSI use the team as a marketing tool.

There's a fraze I read just after the worlds which I think sumed up the mind set of the US marketing people " WIN ON SUNDAY, SELL ON MONDAY".

I simply believe Xray is taking a different approach to bussiness from alot of there competitors, Xray produce the best product they can at the most reasonable cost they can.

I believe Losi,AE and others produce a buggy to a costing, all be it well designed. Then use the big names to win races, which in turn produces the hype which sell's the kits.

I'd have to agree Mugen seem to have similar principles and that Kyosho possibly have the balance better with just a few BIG names ?

Rod
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #67
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Its not like they are not trying. The Nitro Pit had a race a few months back, and the winner got an XRAY sponsorship...My buddy Wayne won, and he is now a sponsored driver. XRAY and RCAMERICA. he dont get paid, but he gets kits and parts at Cost, including HUDY stuff. I think XRAY is trying to get a band of drivers together..even if they are not top guys, in hopes that they will become better drivers and world famous drivers using Xray products. How much better would the story be, if a Novice, or sportsman driver became a pro, and won races all over the world simply because he/she started driving XRAY!
slightly different format but isnt this what generally happens a fast club racer gets spotted after putting in good consistent results and gets offered a partial sponsorship, if he improves further this may get taken to full support, i thought this was the way it happened albeit your friend kinda got a fast pass so to speak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
X-ray was in the b main at the worlds. Thats close enough for me. If you look hard enough you'll see 'em finishing well everywhere.

At least you can't make a wrong decision between these two. Probally the best two cars out there right now. I'm trying to decide between the two as well.

I'm buying the 808. Active diffs and a more Losi-like desighn sealed the deal. Lighter weight helps also. Better plastic and fit/finish. Plus after seeing hudys web site with such detail, and after downloading the instructions, the luxery part is becoming obvious.

I watched the wolds and tbh those drivers who made the show generally were the guys to make the first corner cleanly in the lower finals and get away, the rest really were up against it for the entire race driver skill gets them there to begin with but we all need that bit of luck on the day personally id prefer my luck when buying lottery tickets if you know what i mean

buy one race it enjoy it doesnt matter which one and i guess you have decided already anyway
a win on the lottery :D
slow coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:28 PM   #68
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Does anyone have a list of all the updated parts for the MBX6 since it's release???? Your help would be appreciated,,,thanks
justag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:37 PM   #69
Tech Master

Check the MBX6 thread or posts in it by tonys screws has a list of update & option parts & he sells mugen parts at his site & have heard from my mugen friends he has parts that everybody else has on back order lots of the time. Tony's site is the shit & I dont mean that in a bad way.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #70
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
Check the MBX6 thread or posts in it by tonys screws has a list of update & option parts & he sells mugen parts at his site & have heard from my mugen friends he has parts that everybody else has on back order lots of the time. Tony's site is the shit & I dont mean that in a bad way.
Our two home town hero's are Reece and the mighty "Drake", Reece left AE to drive for X-Ray and the "Drake" left Losi to drive Mugen, both of these guys are super quick and are rivals... lapping within .1 of a second of each other.

Both cars are quick!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-E View Post
...and the "Drake" left Losi to drive Mugen

Both cars are quick!!!
Wha???

Drake left Losi?? When did this happen????
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #72
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain america View Post
Wha???

Drake left Losi?? When did this happen????
Sam E is reffering to a different Drake. Not sure his first name, but he is THE DRAKE that nobody knows
Old 02-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #73
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Sam E is reffering to a different Drake. Not sure his first name, but he is THE DRAKE that nobody knows
Dan Drake is THE Drake!!! everyone fears the Drake!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-E View Post
Dan Drake is THE Drake!!! everyone fears the Drake!!!
Name infringment, I think I cage match between the two Drakes is in order. Winner gets to keep the name.

But there will be another Drake running Mugen soon, The soon to be Rhonda Skelton Drake.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #75
Tech Adept

OK, lots oftalking about Xray marketing strategy.... anyone knows if the new version is already sold in the US? I didnt like the shocks without boots... the new version has them now (and other upgrades).

I also heard there where problems with the diffs??? And some bearings too??? Any idea if hte new version solved those problems?

As far as mugen... i havent heard of any isues... some say PB steering decreases steering and creates bump steer, but thats all the "bad" i heard abour X6. AS a matter of fact, many drivers say mugen can steer even better... any ideas? Any other isues????

When Xray says... zero kingpin steering.... what does that mean?
Alffa164 is offline   Reply With Quote