R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #46
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
Great explaination there, wished I thought of saying that !

Rod
You just did!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the replies. Just sorting a deal with a nearly new kit, bit of a bargain, so leaves moeny left over for spares.
Chris-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #48
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-s View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Just sorting a deal with a nearly new kit, bit of a bargain, so leaves moeny left over for spares.
Just an FYI, the Nuremberg Toy Fair starts next Thursday and a lot of new products will be announced.
Banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #49
Tech Apprentice

These topics are dumb to begin with ............I just want to comment on the idea that Pillow Ball Suspensions don't turn enough ..................weather the c hub is capable of more steering throw or not .......my Mugen mbx6 has WAY to much steering....so much that on the tight CRCRC track this weekend I actually had to take some out ......I went quicker with less steering as a result too . All cars are good nowadays .........and they all have "little " stuff about them too .
dead1dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #50
Tech Master

Wow!!!! everyones getting upset.

just go look at post #4 in this thread, that guys a frikin human majic 8 ball!!!!

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
Hi Rod,

If you read back in the thread you'll see that I didn't bring up the question of the word luxury, two other folks did. I was simply replying with my take on it which I believe is a question of culture.

I see your point but you may have a different cultural view on the word since you are from the UK, which was my point.

And now that the topic of luxury is not fun anymore, I digress.

Banter

I agree with what your saying, If they include the word luxury they should throw in luxury items like air bag suspension, cruise control, leather seats and maybe some airbags and an xm-radio. But if luxury means "fit and finish".......it's just like any other car. I've owned from mbx5, mbx6, xb8ec and 808 and the quality is the same and to be honest the xb8ec was a replica of the mbx5 except for the PBS VS the hubs.

To answer the question from the thread they are both awsome cars and each has there share of up's and down's but both are very tough, I just hate and I do mean hate a company that updates the model every 8 months "xray".
arm2storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #52
Tech Master

Why would you hate a company that updates parts that can be better?The 808 is still the 808 & those updates dont really change the car.Slightly shorter center drive shafts or a alum shim for pinion bearings or a fuel tank that you can now screw fuel line holders into make the batch of cars previously shipped outdated? I dont follow your reasoning,companys that constantly try to make a better product & get those updates to the customers as fast as possable are the ones that get respect from me. I would also think your statement makes you hate all car companys as most are trying to strive for market share with a steady flow of hop up parts. between the 2 cars this thread is about mugen has updated their car more in its first 4 month after release than x-ray has in the over a year its had the 808.If you wanna point out a company that does significant changes every year or less how about kyosho & the 15 versions of the mp7 in the last 4 years. The first time you build a 808 you know what they mean by luxury.Almost no mold lines of flashing to cut off,no burs in the shock body threads no shimming slop or filing to fit,every single part has the feel that it was fully thought out to be the best it can be in design & finish.I ran the mbx5 cars for a long time & yes it was pretty much the same exact car for 5 years & I liked it but holy crap their big inovation was a slightly different molding of the front arms & a little alum bling & a name change to 5R. Nothing wrong with some change now & then, Its not like its your $80,000 real car their making obsolete.Its a $500 toy thats ment to be beat to crap as soon as its built.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #53
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
Why would you hate a company that updates parts that can be better?The 808 is still the 808 & those updates dont really change the car.Slightly shorter center drive shafts or a alum shim for pinion bearings or a fuel tank that you can now screw fuel line holders into make the batch of cars previously shipped outdated? I dont follow your reasoning,companys that constantly try to make a better product & get those updates to the customers as fast as possable are the ones that get respect from me. I would also think your statement makes you hate all car companys as most are trying to strive for market share with a steady flow of hop up parts. between the 2 cars this thread is about mugen has updated their car more in its first 4 month after release than x-ray has in the over a year its had the 808.If you wanna point out a company that does significant changes every year or less how about kyosho & the 15 versions of the mp7 in the last 4 years. The first time you build a 808 you know what they mean by luxury.Almost no mold lines of flashing to cut off,no burs in the shock body threads no shimming slop or filing to fit,every single part has the feel that it was fully thought out to be the best it can be in design & finish.I ran the mbx5 cars for a long time & yes it was pretty much the same exact car for 5 years & I liked it but holy crap their big inovation was a slightly different molding of the front arms & a little alum bling & a name change to 5R. Nothing wrong with some change now & then, Its not like its your $80,000 real car their making obsolete.Its a $500 toy thats ment to be beat to crap as soon as its built.

The 808 hasn't been out for a year. and the xb8ec had just been out for a year when they completely redesigned to the 808.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #54
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm2storm View Post
The 808 hasn't been out for a year. and the xb8ec had just been out for a year when they completely redesigned to the 808.
i'm sure when the losi eight came out, xray realized they had better do something to keep up. looks like mugen, kyosho saw the same writing on that wall. don't blame xray for not wanting to have kits sitting in the warehouse and not on the track.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #55
Tech Master

arm2storm I dont remember the exact release date of the 808 but look at the release date of the press release in the link. Feb 7th 08 is close enough to a year for me & you'll notice those are pics of an actual car that had probably been in testing for a while not CAD drawings. I didnt bother looking for any race results,but the earliest set-up sheets on their site are begining of april 08 so lets say 9 month to be safe.Sorry for misleadig you.

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...31c96c499636f8
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:02 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Quote:

Pretty close to a year. Here is a link, go to post #6 and look at the date.

NEW Xray XB8TQ, also with plenty of spares

One more for giggles:

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...=1764&catName=
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:07 AM   #57
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayeddy View Post
Pretty close to a year. Here is a link, go to post #6 and look at the date.

NEW Xray XB8TQ, also with plenty of spares

One more for giggles:

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...=1764&catName=

lol...........so did you ever sell it? By the way the 808 wasn't out yet at that time. The 808 was available in late April early may.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Check out the link from Xrays' site. Jan. 31st " 808 dominates"

And, yes , the tq sold, not at the price I wanted, but that's what happens when car companies release a new car every year, the resale value goes way down on the older car.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #59
Tech Master

Yeah, i saw it, the 808 is great car and can be a world champion easily but Xray doesn't want to invest in good US drivers Josh Wheeler is the only chance they have but he's out numbered.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:19 AM   #60
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah, i saw it, the 808 is great car and can be a world champion easily but Xray doesn't want to invest in good US drivers Josh Wheeler is the only chance they have but he's out numbered.
That's something I had noticed for some time now. Honestly, I think I prefer it that way: they spend less for a "star"/bragging rights and can thus direct more of funds into the tooling and materials of the actual car. It's sort of the same with Mugen, no big super-star drivers 9ther than maybe Scott Huges.)
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote