R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Losi clutch

Hi I am instlling my clutch shoes onto my losi flywheel. As you know already it is the losi clutch where a screw goes therough one side of the shoe, through the spring, and then through the other side of the shoe and then into a smal hole. Now I can get the screw threw the shoe and spring fine but I cant seem to find the small hole on the other side of the shoe. I have tried and tried bt that screw just wont go through the hole. Any suggestions or tips on how to install these clutch shoes would be great!
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up Ahhhh... that problem.

With the screw throught the shoe and spring, put your driver in and press the shoe down into its position using the edge of a table. This should allow you to use the tool to get the tip of the screw in the hole on the back side of the shoe. The thicker the spring is the harder this is to do but this method seems to work real well.
Also, take the time to slightly round off the edges of your screws to allow tem to find the holes easier.
Hope this helps.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Get a paper towel and put it over 2 clutche shoes, 1 of each side. Put the paper towel on each side and use pliers to press the clutch shoes in more. You also want to try and mvoe the screw so it is at an angle pointing towards the middle of the flywheel if the pliers method doesnt work. Same thing happened when I was installing my fist clutch shoes.

EDIT: Grr..... I posted 1 minute after tex1.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Place all four shoes, springs and screws into the flywheel with screws(pins) as far as you can get them, then take a zip tie and cinch it around the shoes, lines everything up real nice to make the screw go right in
Old 01-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Great!!! I got the clutch shoes in and now when I put the flywheel onto the collet should it be firm and tight or easily movable. Then after I have the flywheel on the collet I put my bearing in right? Also I put some loctite onto the screws that go into the clutch shoes, is this ok?
rgrassey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrassey@me.com View Post
Great!!! I got the clutch shoes in and now when I put the flywheel onto the collet should it be firm and tight or easily movable. Then after I have the flywheel on the collet I put my bearing in right? Also I put some loctite onto the screws that go into the clutch shoes, is this ok?
What clutch shoes and springs are they? Are those bearings new?

It should not be firm and tight nor easily moveable. It should have about 1mm of excess play.

Yes.

I blue locktite only the first screw that goes into the clutch bell.

Remember, you want the flywheel to be tight as it can be when you assemble everything. I just use a small vise grip to hold the flywheel.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wall View Post
Place all four shoes, springs and screws into the flywheel with screws(pins) as far as you can get them, then take a zip tie and cinch it around the shoes, lines everything up real nice to make the screw go right in
+1 works every time!

I also take a dremel and round the bottoms of the screws slightly(kinda to a point) and that helps them slide in easier.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Quote:
You DO NOT want to loctight the clutch pins(screws that go into the shoes)or you will have quite a time getting them out. the heads can and will strip out.

When you tighten the clutch nut down(holds the flywheel on/pushes it against the collet) you will want that to be TIGHT.

Once you have the clutch nut tight you will slide the larger of the two bearings on, then the clutch bell, then the smaller bearing and finally the washer and screw setup. Note you want to set the clutch bell play(how much the bell mover foreward and backward) to about .5mm. You can eyeball this(measurement is not nessicary) just make sure it will slide a tick back and forth. You set this movement with the clutch shims. you will place these behind the lower bearing and/or in front of the front bearing.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i just made the a 45 degree angle on the bottom of my screws, made it alot easier to assemble
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

45 degree for me too. Makes it supper easy.
infanterene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #11
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:

i know its been stated but thought i would ad my .02

these screws strip easy. if you put loctite on them you WILL have to take a dremel to the head. ive NEVER had a screw come loose there, i do use blue loctite on the end screw,the one after the clutch bell BUT this screw strips easy to so when your tighting it just snug it. you will most likely still strip this screw out when takin it out BUT ive had this screw come out many times so i just replace this screw regularly but if your SUPER careful you are able to get it out not stripped

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:17 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

yea i used loctite once, after having the screw strip out and waste a ton of time trying to get it back out i stopped using loctite on them as well
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
i know its been stated but thought i would ad my .02

these screws strip easy. if you put loctite on them you WILL have to take a dremel to the head. ive NEVER had a screw come loose there, i do use blue loctite on the end screw,the one after the clutch bell BUT this screw strips easy to so when your tighting it just snug it. you will most likely still strip this screw out when takin it out BUT ive had this screw come out many times so i just replace this screw regularly but if your SUPER careful you are able to get it out not stripped

I use a button cap screw that takes a 2.5mm tip. This is less likely to strip out. I always use blue loctite but make sure that there is a very small amount on the screw before I put it in.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I use a button cap screw that takes a 2.5mm tip. This is less likely to strip out. I always use blue loctite but make sure that there is a very small amount on the screw before I put it in.

there talkin the clutch pin screw's...Not the crank bolt
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #15
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Hey guys, can i use a Ofna clutch assembly (Flywheel,cluth,springs,bell) in my Losi 8ight 1.0??

Thanks
Mike
Triton3d is offline   Reply With Quote