Search

droop,how to adjust ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Gen
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default droop,how to adjust ??

how do you adjust droop simply ,,everyone i speak to seems to have different idea on how to adjust please explain ??
Old 02-03-2009, 05:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

By adjusting the "droop" screws in the arms. It controls how far down the suspension can travel, or "droop". On some electric cars you have to unscrew the shock to get more droop since those cars don't have droop screws.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

In the past I have generally set the droop to not allow the shocks to extend past their natural stopping points. What is droop really meant to be set for if you ignore the shock travel?? I've got the Hudy book so I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually but what is the main point of droop?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i measure my shock length.........
Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Droop

I measure from the middle of the top shock bolt to the middle of the bottom shock bolt with a set of digital calipers. The car must be set up off of the ground while you do this. I usually set it up on a set of wheels or something while I measure it. Then after I set the droop I set my ride hieght with the car sitting on a level surface using an associated ride hieght gauge.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Gen
how do you adjust droop simply ,,everyone i speak to seems to have different idea on how to adjust please explain ??
simply you put a hex driver in the droop screw and turn it, you might be after how do you measure droop or what you might be after is what effect changing droop has on the handling ?? this is a different thing altogether
Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

http://www.rcxray.com/documents/xb80...Setup_Book.pdf

I think that's what we're asking here - is what does it do for you.
After reading the hudy book, I am going to set mine exactly at the limit of my shocks. Then if my buggy could benefit from less travel I'll adjust it more.
Hudy calls this downstops not droop and there is an explanation in there with a chart after telling you how it effects weight transfer and front and rear traction, etc. It really is another adjustment that can alter 2 or 3 different things just like everything else. Unless you can get someone at your track to tell you how to set droop for your track I would start with as much as the shocks allow and get all of your other setup as good as possible then play some with droop and ride height later on Don't forget that droop(downstop) and ride height are two separate things here! I'm just getting into the fine art of setup here myself but that's what makes sense to me