Experts required, please step inside.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experts required, please step inside.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Experts required, please step inside.

hi Guy's,

I recently picked up a 1/8th scale Kyosho Burns DX 4wd buggy from a friend of mine. He drove it twice & then packed it up. I guess RC wasn't really his cup of tea. Anyways, the car is in mint condition, not a scratch on a single part. However, I am having a problem with the electronics. It has a Futaba transmitter & servo's.

There are two problems I'm having. 1st is when the vehicle is just idleing I can see the steering servo kinda bugging out & it starts tracking back & fourth. Not enough to turn the wheels, but it's deffinitely not stable. And the second problem is the car will only go about 10ft or so before it loses all signal & starts turning on it's own & I have no throttle or brake control.

I thought maybe it was the crystals, so I swapped in a different set that were the same 75Mh frequency. Still no fix, same symptoms. Then I complete swapped controllers & was able to get the car to go about 30ft before it would start doing whatever it liked. I am stumped & am just wondering if anyone has had experience with these same problems before. And yes, before anyone ask all the batteries r brand new & imstalled properly.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some advice.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The Burns is a vintage r/c car, and in so much as you say it's still in excellent condition, I'd consider very carefully if you'd actually want to start roughing-around with it.

Honestly, I myself would look more into restoring it with genuine Kyosho parts and turn it into a shelf queen rather than smack it around, but that's just me. Don't suppose you've got any photos of the car?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I just battled this same issue this sunday. The buggy worked fine while sitting on the starter box but as soon as it hit the ground it would turn left and start revving up. After an hour of making sure all metal parts were snug (metal to metal vibration will cause glitches) I found it to be a servo on its way out. The servo worked fine but was causing major glitches, then after moving my receiver and a few more times chasing it around the track the servo just died all the way. After changing servo's everything has been glitch free.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Adept

Nos,

The two most common reasons I've come across for shuddering servos are 1. damaged/altered antenna on the RX. 2. a short on the PCB. this could be from a loose component on the PCB or a bad case of PCB frost.

where was the car stored? Was it exposed to really high humidity or prolonged sub 32f temps year after year? any detail you can give about the storage of the car would help
Old 01-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Sounds line an AM or FM radio. You have to make sure any bolts screwed into metal have some thread lock and loose metal must be dampened. Also check for a loose crystal in the Rx and make sure the antenna is routed away from metal or carbon parts. ALso make sure both the Tx & Rx antenna fully extended and have no damage. Post pics of the car and radio box setup so we can see how its installed.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the reply's fellas.

As for the condition of the buggy it is flawless, no scratches, no replaced parts. Everything is all original & in perfect condition (except for the electronics). Like I mentioned before the previous owner, whom is a good friend of mine only drove the car twice. the engine wasn't even broken in all the way. Only thing he did that I'm not to fond of is he painted the body flourescent orange. Bright colors isn't really my style. Only issue I could spot was the tires were alittle hard after sitting for so many years.

As for how he stored it, he kept it in the original box out in his barn. He lives right around 3600ft. And can see the ocassional snow in his neck of the woods. But most of the time it's very warm with little humidity. Were out here in the High Desert of California. It was packed up pretty good, because there wasn't a spec of dust on the car when I took it out of the box. As for the box, it's in optimal condition also, just alittle dusty on the outside.

Not really sure what a PCB is, but it sounds important :^)

I'll try to get some pictures of it up for you guy's to check out. The original owner told me he had another complete transmitter that came with 2 servo's. He said it was all digital & just too complex for him to figure out so he pulled that radio system & installed the futaba system. He's bringing it to me tomorrow & I'm hoping it's either a KOPropo or a Airtronics? Well see, I'll end up switching the system over, servo's and all & see if that cures the problem. As for the car having any loose bolts, I can tell you that everything is very snug & was assembled with blue locktight. So I'm pretty sure it's not a loose part or anything like that.

My first thought was he stored it with batteries in the controller & battery pack for the car. I thought maybe the batteries leaked & maybe ate something up, but everything looks to be in perfect condition.

Just for sh_itz n giggles what would this car be worth? He gave me the buggy, 2 transmitters, a box of 25 glow plugs and a Ofna starter box with a 12v battery, plug in glow starter & starter box charger for $100.00

I figured it was a pretty good deal so I snapped it up? What did these cars cost new? Anyways as for driving it or not because it's vintage. I plan on driving it but I promise I'll be gentle.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Dude, if you have the original box, tires and body, and the car is as clean as you say...DO NOT RUN IT!!!!

For what you paid for it...I would say you stole it....tell ya what, I'll double your money
Old 01-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

by the sounds of things u could probably get 500 for this bug lol she not devaluing at all keep it safe buy a hyper 7 to bash there cheap as
Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by scoobie1
Dude, if you have the original box, tires and body, and the car is as clean as you say...DO NOT RUN IT!!!!
+1 on that.
it sounds like you were really lucky to get your hands on a collector's dream car!

maybe you should start racing/bashing with another used ride and keep this baby on the shelf...

could you post some photos btw.?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by scoobie1

For what you paid for it...I would say you stole it....tell ya what, I'll double your money
Thanks for the offer, but seriously i plan on enjoying it. I've already been offered one of those huge Losi Truggy trucks brand new in the box & a new OS.21 engine for it by my local hobby shop. The owner is a huge Kyosho fan & I'm debating actually doing that trade. He told me I could keep the transmitters because he plans to just use it as a display.

But seriously the buggy is in mint condition. There isn't even a nick or a scratch on any of the wheels. There still shiny white & smooth to the touch. I will deffinitely take some pictures of it for you guy's. I don't know a whole lot about these buggy's, but it looks really really stout. I was told the design of the drive system is still used to this day.

It sounds like I did get a bargin on the vehicle, but it would be nice if I knew the true value of the car. Maybe then I would consider just leaving it be & not risk damaging anything on it. As for the money side of it, thats really not a big deal to me. I just see the potential fun in driving this animal. One thing that grabbed my attention was the rubber exhaust system? Does anyone know if they make a custom pipe for it? Or is this the optimal set up for the stock OS motor?

Thanks again to all of you guy's. It's nice to know I got my hands on a jewel. It makes me feel good to know there are still deals out there on the planet...
Old 01-27-2009, 02:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-KYOSHO-B...3286.m63.l1177

Here's a NIB one for $1400 !!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 03:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by OfnaJoe
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-KYOSHO-B...3286.m63.l1177

Here's a NIB one for $1400 !!!!!!!!
WOW!!!! thats insane seriously??? U have got to be kidding me $1,400 I totally scored, Holy Sh_t......... But that one is brand new unbuilt. I must say though from the pictures I would have to say my box is in much better condition. That one looks like some dust mites started eating at it. Wow, maybe I should put that baby on a shelf. So these were made back in 1987? Thats crazy, th design looks much newer then that time frame. Now you guy's got me thinking, I would hate to see this thing get destroyed knowing I got my hands on a piece of RC history.

Thanks alot for that link I got some serious soul searching to do....
Old 01-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nostrixoxide
WOW!!!! thats insane seriously??? U have got to be kidding me $1,400 I totally scored, Holy Sh_t......... But that one is brand new unbuilt. I must say though from the pictures I would have to say my box is in much better condition. That one looks like some dust mites started eating at it. Wow, maybe I should put that baby on a shelf. So these were made back in 1987? Thats crazy, th design looks much newer then that time frame. Now you guy's got me thinking, I would hate to see this thing get destroyed knowing I got my hands on a piece of RC history.

Thanks alot for that link I got some serious soul searching to do....
There are websites where rc collectors chat. I don't know the names b/c I don't collect em but you could probably use google and find out. Glad you see that it is a piece of rc history now and maybe not tear it up. There's plenty of $150 beater chassis you can pick up that will be more fun to run. Heck alot of times some collectors are just searching for box's and manuals and such. You got a hundred dollars worth of glow plugs. lol The car was free : )~ If a hobby shop is willing to trade ya a package like that, you know you have something ; )
Old 01-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Here one site for info on the old K Buggies. It has links also. Been looking at maybe a Vanning.

http://www.landjump.net/
Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Like the 10 people before me I wouldn't run that. Might as well keep it, If its worth good some money now Imagine How much it will be worth in 5 years, 10years?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.