Old 01-26-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? i was wondering.

how does a break in bench work?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:39 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

It's like a park bench, or kinda like a .. damn ran out of "benches" already.. sure there are more, but the funny already left my head, not to mention this thread..

Break-In bench...
in the roughest of explainations: an Engine mount, mounted to your work bench so you can run your engine out of the vehicle.

Usually the mount design is 6-12 inches off the bench for easier access.. fuel lines running into a tank that is out of the way, and the exhaust is expelled through a hose.

All of this allows break in and tunning of the engine in the comfort of your _insert work area_ , again, without the confinnment of being installed in your ride.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:04 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKarnage View Post
It's like a park bench, or kinda like a .. damn ran out of "benches" already.. sure there are more, but the funny already left my head, not to mention this thread..

Break-In bench...
in the roughest of explainations: an Engine mount, mounted to your work bench so you can run your engine out of the vehicle.

Usually the mount design is 6-12 inches off the bench for easier access.. fuel lines running into a tank that is out of the way, and the exhaust is expelled through a hose.

All of this allows break in and tunning of the engine in the comfort of your _insert work area_ , again, without the confinnment of being installed in your ride.
basicly its a stationary car?
Old 01-26-2009, 04:51 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Engine Break In Stand

http://www.rdlogics.com/cgi-bin/cate...000&type=store
Old 01-26-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

does anybody use these? i have always heard not to so i was just curious
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:15 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I know most engine modders use them.

JR servos Hitec servos. Gens ace lipos KO radio.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

ive used a bench for the last 2.5 years.....all my motor's Run flawlessly after the bench and i don't have to waste my time doing 1/4 throttle runs and all the regular break in stuff....i also feel you can get a real good idea of what the motor will be like when you can Scream it Right in front of your face...you can see leaks better feel bearing vibration better....all in all its a better way to break in a motor...and with the prop is an actual load you actually get stuff broken in alot faster...where as some one would need 5-10 tanks before its race ready...litearally on the bench it could be race ready in 3-4 tanks...and we've done it before..with JPX's and they also ran like CHAMPS at last years nats....tonns of power/runtime and ran the whole weekend on 1 plug....could'nt ask for much more.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Deznuts05

thanks for the break down

but I have three questions,

1. How do you start the motor?

2. Do you let the motor run for each tank or do you let it rest?

3. Can you put a motor on a bench even after you broke it in a car?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Integra;5343231]ive used a bench for the last 2.5 years.....QUOTE]

Integra, what bench are you using, eh?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

[QUOTE=jkas10;5345019]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
ive used a bench for the last 2.5 years.....QUOTE]

Integra, what bench are you using, eh?

home made jobby...with the RDlogics nose cone...here's a pic

Deznuts05...you use a plane nose cone starter..there like 20-30 if you shop around...i got my Torq master 180 for 10$ on ebay with a radio case. ...we do let the motor cool between runs...if the motor's ridiculously tight...we might run the first 2 tanks back to back....and i guess you could toss on a previously broken in motor.....you wnna test for problems your having ? the prop is a load...but nothing like the rear car with a flywheel and clutch set-up...so only so much can be learned from the bench.

Exhaust side

linkage side

the white is 1211 to ensure the pipe doesn't pop a leak...and you HAVE TO HAVE TO wrap the motor up Or else you will NEVER EVER make temp and WILL throw the rod...Been there done that...also another bonus to the RD peices is that you can actually use a filter...the Hudy stand You CANNOT use a filter....the prop is cut out to match the face of the block and there's just NO room.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Integra;5345290]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkas10 View Post

Deznuts05...you use a plane nose cone starter..there like 20-30 if you shop around...i got my Torq master 180 for 10$ on ebay with a radio case. ...we do let the motor cool between runs...if the motor's ridiculously tight...we might run the first 2 tanks back to back....and i guess you could toss on a previously broken in motor.....you wnna test for problems your having ? the prop is a load...but nothing like the rear car with a flywheel and clutch set-up...so only so much can be learned from the bench.

Exhaust side

linkage side

the white is 1211 to ensure the pipe doesn't pop a leak...and you HAVE TO HAVE TO wrap the motor up Or else you will NEVER EVER make temp and WILL throw the rod...Been there done that...also another bonus to the RD peices is that you can actually use a filter...the Hudy stand You CANNOT use a filter....the prop is cut out to match the face of the block and there's just NO room.

you break your in just like you would a plane, i actually never thought of that dang. ive used the a bench for the past year or so i have to admit my engines run alot better when brok in on bench than on a car and last a gallon or so more too...
Old 01-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Integra;5345290]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkas10 View Post

Exhaust side

linkage side

It works allot better if you spray everything with melted cheese instead of melted marshmellows
Old 01-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redza View Post
how does a break in bench work?
http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...9&kategoria=69

Here is the HUDY Engine Break-In Bench Instruction Manual. It will explain it all for you.
Djballen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deznuts05 View Post
thanks for the break down

but I have three questions,

1. How do you start the motor?

2. Do you let the motor run for each tank or do you let it rest?

3. Can you put a motor on a bench even after you broke it in a car?
I have the RDlogics

1: with a airplane nosestarter or chicken stick

2:This depends on method but i have broken n my motors with 2 min @ 180-190 then let cool x5 times then i increase the time to 5 min x3 all idling.Idle for a tank.Then increase RPM 1 min cool x2-3. then blips for a tank. I go through about 6 tanks before i throw her in the car and take it easy at the track for the next few tanks.Many different ways really.

3: yes you can and like integra said you can actually trouble shoot on the stand real nice

Tip: Get a roll of aluminum duct seal tape at and HVAC store or of the like.The foil can some time blow off
buggydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

my questions are; why dont you just use a pullstart, and what is the propellor for?
bhaley66 is offline   Reply With Quote