Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
JR Z650M servo warning >

JR Z650M servo warning

JR Z650M servo warning

Old 01-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default JR Z650M servo warning

I bought a JR Z650M servo last week and none of my adapters would fit it. The shop I bought it from tried every arm and adapter in the shop, including those specified only for JR, nothing fit. We tried Futaba, etc. still nothing.

It turns out that it isn't an isolated problem. Every JR Z650M in the shop had the problem. We didn't try other JR models, but perhaps they have the problem, too. Other people returned their JR servos to the shop. I'm guessing JR is going to get a bunch of returned servos soon.

After all that, I decided to go with a Futaba 9351. It was 2x the price of the JR, but it solved the weak braking that I felt my MBX5 Prospec had. In the end, I spent more than I wanted to, but glad I did so.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markr04
I bought a JR Z650M servo last week and none of my adapters would fit it. The shop I bought it from tried every arm and adapter in the shop, including those specified only for JR, nothing fit. We tried Futaba, etc. still nothing.

It turns out that it isn't an isolated problem. Every JR Z650M in the shop had the problem. We didn't try other JR models, but perhaps they have the problem, too. Other people returned their JR servos to the shop. I'm guessing JR is going to get a bunch of returned servos soon.

After all that, I decided to go with a Futaba 9351. It was 2x the price of the JR, but it solved the weak braking that I felt my MBX5 Prospec had. In the end, I spent more than I wanted to, but glad I did so.

i use a 9351 on throttle as well....Very nice servo for the application.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

you should of looked in to a Jr9100s or 9100t both very good servos never had a lick of trub .
Old 01-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

This has been happening to alot of jr high end servos lately. I think it has something to do with the metal spline on top. I am not sure what it is made from but it either has a coating on it or is brass and for whatever reason it is a tad too big sometimes. So, even though you may have the right servo arm it fits extremely tight and sometimes not at all.

I have had this happen on 650s, 9100s & t's.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am running a 650Z for my throttle on my buggy and truggy
On teh buggy th esplines were kinda hosed, but nothing a couple of love taps wouldnt cure,horn is on fine now
Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (98%+)

I had this servo horn problem as well.. I had no alternatives so I just jambediton there (Im sure stripping it) Set my car down for the main very uneasy and sure enough got tagged in the wheel while leading of course and stripped the servo horn... I thought ohh I will just run the aluminum horn, Yeah no such luck, It doesnt fit... I was told by a Horizon Rep. that its suppose to fit snug. They are wrong its just another crappy product.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rswartz
I had this servo horn problem as well.. I had no alternatives so I just jambediton there (Im sure stripping it) Set my car down for the main very uneasy and sure enough got tagged in the wheel while leading of course and stripped the servo horn... I thought ohh I will just run the aluminum horn, Yeah no such luck, It doesnt fit... I was told by a Horizon Rep. that its suppose to fit snug. They are wrong its just another crappy product.
another crappy product...HAH...just like the 8ight right ?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rswartz
I did the same thing. I bought the JR servo 30 minutes before the races. Got it all wired up in the car before I discovered that nothing would fit it. I forced an adapter (plastic) on it and raced anyway. I took it off the next day... the adapter was cracked and stripped. Like you, I discovered that none of those aluminum horns will fit, either.

I know the difference between "snug" and "wrong". JR has a run of bad servos on store shelves. I mean, the functionality is probably fine... but the fit makes them useless.

For those buying a JR servo, make sure your adapter/horn fits before installing it. It's not an isolated problem.