R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #31
Tech Apprentice

I think that in nitro offroad one will always blip due to the clutch disengaging when you back off on the gas. The clutch generally grabs hard as soon as you're on power again. This is how we drive nitro. Electric cars typically have the motor directly connected to the tires via gears and the motor is also used for braking. What ever you do with yoour trigger finger has an imediate and direct affect on the tires. Electric tends be very consistent in the way it puts power down so it is easy to predict what your going to get with x amount of trigger movement. With nitro the clutches need to spool up and with running different levels of heat in the clutch affect the way it grabs and transfers power making it difficult to predict so you make an experienced guess and prod the gas. As others said in previous posts nitro engines no matter how well it is tuned begin to load up as soon as you back off the gas affecting throttle response and power output making for unpredictability whereas electric motors are same all the time and you can feel the batteries as the charge goes down which is a relatively gradual decline.
Toycar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #32
Tech Master

Toycar5 what you said is true in some cases buy probably 1/2 the convertion guys where I run use the Tekno clutch, basicly a 2 or 3 shoe nitro clutch design depending on what you like.They dont have the exact same feel as a nitro version though because of the difference in how the nitros & elc motors spool up like you mentioned & these new lipos dont have the voltage going down feeling like the old nimh batts did they get alittle slow in one corner then the next corner they dump flat. I still think there is something to what you said though because when my Tekno clutch hooks up you can for sure tell its an elec motor because it has very minor slip(just enough to stop the jerky feel of elec motors) it just goes no waiting for the motor to come into its powerband,just hard pulling. It's the same every time no as soon as you hit the gas,no trying to keep a feel for the enguagement point that will change slightly with a nitro & they never have a lag from totally empty crank case after shutdown at the end of the straight then lean soft after the turn.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #33
Tech Adept

I searched for the answer to this question myself just before the cold set in and racing slowed down aroud here.
I am an ex-motocross racer (quads). I thought about when I raced motox, if I "blipped" the throttle at all when riding, the answer was no.
I would control throttle position based on traction avalible and track situation. In other words, maximum throttle input without sacrificing foward momentum or my life. The only time during motox racing I done something I would consider blipping was sometimes on the face of a jump, but anyone with moto experience would tell you this helps keep your front end up in the air. (on some jumps, off power take-offs are a big nono)
Now, before this question arose one would have probably cosidered me a blipper or an on/off driver. I was told to "blip" when I started racing RC this past summer by a local expereinced racer when i would practice at the track during the week.(listening goes hand in hand with learning) I decided at the next race (last race of my track's 2008 season) I would minimize/eleminate blipping and try to adopt being "smoother on the throttle".
During practice, I did have to re-tune the engine to suit my new driving style. Like some guys said before, I experienced fuel load up when accelerating out of tight sections. So I leaned on the low speed needle until acceleration was crisp and smooth, it didnt take very much adjusting. I changed my clutch spring setup from one .95 and two 1.0 to one 1.0 and two .95. I felt this adjustment helped to control the power more through low speed sections by allowing me to "lug" the engine easier. The only problem I faced adopting this driving style was clearing the two largest jumps on the track. They both had short runways and my timing was off as it seemed I always ran out of room to gain speed before the jump. After a few more laps and an adjustment of my racing line leading to the jumps so the car could carry more speed up to them, I was then able to transition the landing perfect. At the end of practice I felt like I could get around the track quicker and more efficiently without crashing or getting out of the racing line as often, but I had no way to confirm this because the lap timer wasnt on so I could compare with my times of the past.
In the first heat I was surprised to see my changed driving style helped me to be more competative with the faster racers in my class. I could now battle for position instead of trying to play catch up. A one point I was leading the race for close to a minute before another racer stepped up. The 5min race ended with me finishing third. Heat 2 went almost equally as well and I had qualified fourth (best to date) on the grid for the main. Also, there was quite a bit more fuel left in the tank after these heats. My guess was 2-2.5 more minutes of pit window, instead of the usual "maybe" another minute.
After the first round of pit stops in the main I had settled into 3rd with a comfortable lead on fourth, and well within range of first and second. That is the highest track position in a main for me to date. Unfortunatly, around the 10min mark I lost a rear shock pin to put me out of the race.
For me, blipping the throttle less and focusing more on producing smooth throttle inputs helped me to control the car easier and make less mistakes, not to mention the possibility of 8min a tank. I cant wait for the track to open back up so I can work on perfecting this and maybe stretch that tank to 10min to eliminate a pit stop.

Last edited by NCWC; 01-26-2009 at 12:22 AM.
NCWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #34
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

blip blip blip...ALL over the place....they dont get much faster then these boys.

from the 09 Airtronics race @ rev. (correction THX alan D)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2_ztSP...deochannel.htm

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=tz4xHO...deochannel.htm

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=CpIU2L...deochannel.htm

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=D_4JZj...deochannel.htm
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -

Last edited by Integra; 01-26-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:46 AM   #35
Tech Master

Don't you mean 09 Airtronics race
Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #36
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D. View Post
Don't you mean 09 Airtronics race

yes i do...not even a month old and im already forgetting.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #37
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Like I said in the first post. Blipping is something we do, and it seems that Drake, Truhe, and lots of the big names also do it. i raced with Chad Bradley a couple of weeks ago (not in the same class) He was an avid blipper also....that being said...like NCWC said, and I originally told Doug. The less blipping you do the smoother you can be on the throttle...the faster you will be and the more races you will win..World champ Hara won because he was so smooth on the throttle...no blipping...which came from his years as an on-road guy...and electric..Electric guys turned Nitro have a naturally smoother trigger finger, and usually make faster drivers in the end.. There is allot more to do with it though, as you still need to know how to drive, set-up, wrench, etc...

To blip, or not to blip
Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #38
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Like I said in the first post. Blipping is something we do, and it seems that Drake, Truhe, and lots of the big names also do it. i raced with Chad Bradley a couple of weeks ago (not in the same class) He was an avid blipper also....that being said...like NCWC said, and I originally told Doug. The less blipping you do the smoother you can be on the throttle...the faster you will be and the more races you will win..World champ Hara won because he was so smooth on the throttle...no blipping...which came from his years as an on-road guy...and electric..Electric guys turned Nitro have a naturally smoother trigger finger, and usually make faster drivers in the end.. There is allot more to do with it though, as you still need to know how to drive, set-up, wrench, etc...

To blip, or not to blip

haha did you see the Hara Video above haha yea.. think its one of those things. Which will go on for a long time, should we+ shouldnt we?
jamiekerr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #39
Tech Adept

In the video of Hara at Thunder Alley I would hardly call what he is doing blipping. Sounds to me like he is smooth as butter on the throttle. He might give the throttle a little double tap on entry of some corners, but it didnt seem like he was engaging the clutch very much at all.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #40
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

In all the interviews following the worlds with Hara or even other drivers, many people said he won because of his smoother trigger finger, which gave him better fuel economy.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #41
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At my local track, I see beginners blipping a lot. As they progress, they do it less. Some of the expert class guys blip around a couple of corners, which helps break the rear-end free and lets the car swing around. It fits some people's driving style, but they also have their diffs set up in order for it to work for them.
markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
yes i do...not even a month old and im already forgetting.
I do the same thing.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #43
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think blipping/rolling the throttle are two technique's that both have their place. They both have pro's and con's. But to say one way is right, and the other is wrong...thats pretty narrow minded.

Blipping on a dry blown out track is not the fastest way around the track, just like rolling on the gas on a track with high traction is'nt the fastest...try both styles and see for yourself what suits you better.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I always figured that nitro guys blipped to keep the engine in a tight RPM band so they don't lose any punch waiting on the motor to spool up/clutch engage. As an electric guy, I pretty much stay on power the entire time, slowly rolling the throttle.

It is hiliarious watching a nitro guy drive an electric though. The car is jerking all over the place.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #45
Tech Adept

i am not entirely sure how to put my description of bliping into words, but i will try. i think that there is a distinct difference between blipping and being on the throttle as long as possible. that is, if you are entering a tight series of corners that look like this, _/\_ you "blip" the throttle only because anything longer than a blip and youll be into the pipes and anything less than a blip and you will not be fast enough to keep up with other drivers. when entering a sweeper which empties into a long straight you are much faster to get on the throttle early in the sweeper and hit full throttle in the last quarter of the turn, that is, ease on the throttle and be smooth to keep you tight and keep traction. bliping will always have a place in racing so long as tight technical corners and jumps are built, but i think it is important to recognize bursts of throttle in a small space and blipping are different. just my .02