Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Methods for cleaning/lubricating bearings? >

Methods for cleaning/lubricating bearings?

Methods for cleaning/lubricating bearings?

Old 01-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Methods for cleaning/lubricating bearings?

what way do you use to clean and lube your bearings? Ive been using the motor spray with rpm bearing blaster and 3 in 1 oil but I would like to hear your suggestions! For some reason after I do the bearing blaster the bearings feel a little gritty so the last time i just put the bearings in 3 in 1 oil. This is for wheel bearings but methods should be universal for almost all bearings right? thanks!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
what way do you use to clean and lube your bearings? Ive been using the motor spray with rpm bearing blaster and 3 in 1 oil but I would like to hear your suggestions! For some reason after I do the bearing blaster the bearings feel a little gritty so the last time i just put the bearings in 3 in 1 oil. This is for wheel bearings but methods should be universal for almost all bearings right? thanks!
there are lubes special for bearings. i carry heavy light and regular bearing lubes but normally use wd 40 to clean and mantain them
Old 01-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 8&stuff
there are lubes special for bearings. i carry heavy light and regular bearing lubes but normally use wd 40 to clean and mantain them
I also have trinity light bearing oil but I dont think it would hold up in wheel bearings. So you just spray wd40 and leave it? That can be pretty convienent if it works, since I clean my buggy with half wd40 I can just spray it alot in the wheel bearings....
Old 01-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

1$ a peice....Just toss em and use new one's....its not worth it to have a bearing lock up and take you out of a race imo.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
1$ a peice....Just toss em and use new one's....its not worth it to have a bearing lock up and take you out of a race imo.
Where are they $1 a piece? Since I clean my bggy after every weekend....it could get expensive especially for someone who is on a tight budget. Right now im just hitting up all the tracks socal has to offer just practicing.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Where are they $1 a piece? .
Avid Revolutions! $1.00 each
Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Wall
Avid Revolutions! $1.00 each
+1 bad bearing, clunk! ZTrash... Easy , fast and...effective!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Lord

Where are they $1 a piece? Since I clean my bggy after every weekend....it could get expensive especially for someone who is on a tight budget. Right now im just hitting up all the tracks socal has to offer just practicing.

where aren't bearings 1$ a piece ?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by fast11970
+1 bad bearing, clunk! ZTrash... Easy , fast and...effective!

huh ?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
where aren't bearings 1$ a piece ?
I always thought the Losi bearings were more expensive but never really checked into it.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Lord

I always thought the Losi bearings were more expensive but never really checked into it.

the losi's sure are...but any bearing mfg will do....Avid Protec Boca...they all have buck a bearing line ups.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Cleaning ; RPM Bearing blaster + any nitro cleaner
Relubing - Acer bearing lube or any other light bearing oil

Works mostly on bearings with at least one metal shield

I use it only to get rid of grease in standard bearings and relube them with oil for less friction (I use half metal half rubber shield bearings everywhere except center diff)

cheap bearings : abec35.com, readyrollers.com, avid and many others
Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Get some Boca Bearings yellow seal ceramics and just forget maintenance period. I've had them in mud twice and a couple of super "gritty" tracks that are know to chew stuff up. No problems and I've used several bearing companies. They are worth the money!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ReadyRollers.com

Good quality $1 bearings are available there. Ive been using them for a year and they are better than the other brands I have tried in the past for the same price.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cdbias
Get some Boca Bearings yellow seal ceramics and just forget maintenance period. I've had them in mud twice and a couple of super "gritty" tracks that are know to chew stuff up. No problems and I've used several bearing companies. They are worth the money!

Dont listen to this dude. No matter how pretty the wrapper is or what materials they are manufactured from, forgetting bearing matinence is ignorant. I like ANY bearing with two rubber seals. They keep dirt out better and are easier to take apart to clean. I clean them about every 1/2 gallon with brake or carb cleaner and compressed air until they spin fast without chattering or sounding gritty. If they never do clean up i will replace them. I usually find the start of a problem before it gets bad enough to cause a DNF.
I repack them with automotive axle grease then blow the excess out with low psi compressed air. Put the seals back on and put them back in the car. Sometimes I will take the seals off the inside-side of the bearing in the hub carriers. $1.00 bearings are a good idea for a supply of spares.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.