R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Well one potential advantage of larger diameter shocks is that you can put an amount of oil equivalent to a smaller diameter shock in a shock that is shorter, thus allowing for shorter shock tower and a lower centre of gravity. So far I have seen only one car take advantage of this idea, and that is HB D8 with its short rear shocks.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMHO

they are a waste of money for at least of half the buggy racing crowd.

a buggy that is well set up with std shocks will out-drive a buggy with big bores with the camber / toe / kickup etc setup wrong.

the last 100 world champs could beat us if they had std shocks and we had big bores.

I think they are really for your second or third buggy after you have been in the hobby for a couple of years and have setup and driving dialed completely.

I do get very annoyed when I go to the LHS and ask for RC8 springs and they say 'buy big bores dude'
Mark_Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
I think at some point you do get to what I would call diminishing returns (A point beyond which the application of additional resources (more oil) yields less than proportional increases in output (better dampening)..) The funny thing is that on most tracks (smoother European style..smaller jumps, not really blown out) the bigger shocks dont really offer any better performance than the "old" big bores..remember 13mm..From just watching the buggies and the way they take the jumps and the blown out sections the Losi seems to be the best or at least one of them and they are running 15mm and it just seems to be perfect, not to big, I do think that the trend seems to be bigger than the 16mm but I dont think it's necessary..now on the shocks and the variable dampening..or the lack of it, I have been involved in the hobby for 25+ years and I have seen several attempts at this and for the most none have really worked as advertised, it seems to have been as successful as progressive springs have been....the problem is how quickly they need to react, everyone seems to want to make the COOR and Desert trucks as the "poster child" for their suspension systems, if you do the math to make it close our jumps would need to be 2 feet high and our wash board sections the size of a pencil, then you would need to slow our trucks down to about 10 to 15 mph..under these conditions you could make the valving work..but the speeds we are going..scale speeds here..it would be in the 180 mph to 200 mph....it's just the speeds that the shocks have to work under its just hard to get the valving to keep up and actually work..then you work in the "diminishing returns" theory it comes down to just how much $$ are you willing to spend to maybe go 1/10 of a second faster a lap..knowing that one aw shit wipes it all out..

Your opinion on variable dampening is confusing to me. With all due respect, I think it is because when you are thinking of high/low speed dampening, you are thinking of vehicle speed, instead of shock shaft speed which is the correct assumption. If not then I am sorry to have tried to correct you and I am the one confused.
I believe variable dampening could be a possibility withinin the RC racing industry in the near future. I think what is holding it back right now is engeneering and/or manufacturing. For engineers it would be tough to design a system of check valves and fluid passages that would work well within the limited space of a buggy or truggy. All without adding so much weight the new shocks reduce the cars performance. If engineers do have a way to make it work flawlessly then the manufactuers may have a hard time finding a way to produce such a small system with accuracy and dependability while keeping prices consumer friendly.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCWC View Post
Your opinion on variable dampening is confusing to me. With all due respect, I think it is because when you are thinking of high/low speed dampening, you are thinking of vehicle speed, instead of shock shaft speed which is the correct assumption. If not then I am sorry to have tried to correct you and I am the one confused.
I believe variable dampening could be a possibility withinin the RC racing industry in the near future. I think what is holding it back right now is engeneering and/or manufacturing. For engineers it would be tough to design a system of check valves and fluid passages that would work well within the limited space of a buggy or truggy. All without adding so much weight the new shocks reduce the cars performance. If engineers do have a way to make it work flawlessly then the manufactuers may have a hard time finding a way to produce such a small system with accuracy and dependability while keeping prices consumer friendly.
I was talking more about the shock speed..I did not explain myself to well..I do agree with your saying it's feasable..but I just don't think it would be affordable right now..maybe someone will figure out something that the rest of us are just missing..
Old 01-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dont think they are going to get much bigger than 16mm. I imagine they will find those even bigger shocks are not helpful. The MBX6 was designed after the big bore craze had firmly taken over and they opted for 15mm shocks probably in an attempt to stay light. I figure they probably tested 16mm shocks and found no noticable advantage vs the weight savings.

I drive a RC8 and I can feel a dramatic difference between the std 13mm shocks and the new 16mm ones. They are worth the money. I just dont see where bigger would be any advantage at this point.