Wiki Posts
Search

Carbon Chassis Which buggies have them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
its all been said.....what else do you want to know....Why dont you get a clue and read up on how Robert did it....then you might "see the light" so to speak.
WTF??

I posted a few irrefutable facts about carbon fibre laminates.
You said you take issue with them.... yet you have not imparted you wisdom here yet???? Come on, tell us.

I read the link in the O.P and it is just marketing blurb telling us how light it is.

Well sorry man, it is still carbon which has low abrasion resistance (fact) and we don't race on perfectly flat tracks so the replaceable skid plates won't stop it scraping in the centre.

The only advantage is that people come up to you and say "whoa dude he's got a CF chassis" and people like you think it is the best thing since cold beer and must have one.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark_Australia
WTF??

You said you take issue with them.... yet you have not imparted you wisdom here yet???? Come on, tell us.

I read the link in the O.P and it is just marketing blurb telling us how light it is.

Well sorry man, it is still carbon which has low abrasion resistance (fact) and we don't race on perfectly flat tracks so the replaceable skid plates won't stop it scraping in the centre.

The only advantage is that people come up to you and say "whoa dude he's got a CF chassis" and people like you think it is the best thing since cold beer and must have one.

im not gonna waste my time....you seem to know what you think..and thats fine....if he made a chassy that didn't perform or failed in a matter of days you honesty thing he would still be in business ....and FYI 3 Years of R&D stands for alot more then your "supposed carbon knowledge"
Old 01-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Heat issues

I used to run rc sprint cars, as much as we liked the carbon fiber chassis it made suspension set up very difficult (not impossible but difficult). The main issue we fought was engine temp with carbon fiber, the aluminum chassis just simply helps dissipate the heat better. A sprint car race is only 5 minutes in duration and you could get away with carbon fiber (it is hard on a motor). A buggy 60 minute main on a hot day might create a problem for a carbon fiber chassis and motor combo?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark_Australia
WTF??

Mark,

you may be interested to read through the original thread here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...r-chassis.html

I stand corrected. The first prototype carbon fiber chassis has been in use for almost 2 years now. For what it's worth, the folks at Matrix have practical, hands-on experience. Theory with regards to abrasion and breakage are really nice, but some things don't quite transfer over to toy cars from real cars, and until we actually go and try some things ourselves firsthand, we always remain under certain assumptions.

Of course, you can always choose to believe whatever you like, but I consider myself a bit of a pragmatist, and either you get results or you don't. These guys seem to have gotten them.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Nick Vanderpool
I used to run rc sprint cars, as much as we liked the carbon fiber chassis it made suspension set up very difficult (not impossible but difficult). The main issue we fought was engine temp with carbon fiber, the aluminum chassis just simply helps dissipate the heat better. A sprint car race is only 5 minutes in duration and you could get away with carbon fiber (it is hard on a motor). A buggy 60 minute main on a hot day might create a problem for a carbon fiber chassis and motor combo?

alum motor plate ? did you even look at the chassy in question ?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Default ?

I do know the chassis in question (and I spelled it right). Chill out Integra, when I pull my car off after a 30 minute main it is warm all over not just at the motor. You are right about a motor plate to a point but heat dissipates throughout the entire chassis. If you look at my post I asked a question, I did not make a statement.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well as suggested I read the other thread... all six pages... and I am still not convinced.
The wear at the front of the first Gen chassis was huge.... even worse than I thought it may be... 3-4 layers gone in 5 rounds. That is about 15 - 20% thickness gone.

Now they have a bigger skid plate front and rear. Well the chassis will still contact the ground in the middle quite often. Not as often as the front and rear obviously but it will still touch the ground.
It cannot possibly last as long as an alloy chassis.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

From what I can tell with the chassis. You need to be aware that the carbon will wear faster than the alloy. So if you want the improvement of the lightweight and can aford to replace the chassis more often then go for it.

The reason I started this post is to gain information on people who have bought/made their own chassis out of carbon. I am looking to make my own one day.

Because my car (Hot bodies D8) is quite heavy, the lighter chassis will be a huge help to getting the car towards the minimum weight.

Saying that though the lightened chassis's from HB and BCE are within 50grams of this carbon one, so cost for bonus, I wouldn't buy a carbon one. But I would still make my own as a mini project. The D8 chassis is 4mm thick too, I have noticed a large number of buggies run 3mm chassis's these days.

If only I still had a CNC machine.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Ive seen these chassis perform. They are durable and light. The only thing working against them is the no it spokesman on this thread. Can anyone guess who Im talking about?LOL

I would consider one for my 2.0.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by infanterene
Ive seen these chassis perform. They are durable and light. The only thing working against them is the no it spokesman on this thread. Can anyone guess who Im talking about?LOL

I would consider one for my 2.0.

I try man...Robert's a busy guy...he defiantly does not have time to deal with guys like this.

i just so happen to know CF and its characteristics from personal experience and know 90% of his dispute is shenanigans.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

In all honesty, I myself wouldn't mind hearing testimonials from folks who've actually bought and used the MC chassis. I think that would be the proverbial bread, butter and CHEEZWIZ of the thread.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

Believe me you scare more people away from his stuff than attract to it. If you like the guy and his product the best thing you could is stay away.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by infanterene
Believe me you scare more people away from his stuff than attract to it. If you like the guy and his product the best thing you could is stay away.

excuse me ? when some one SPEWS blatant LIES about a product...Im gonna call him on it....ive been more then civil in ALL of robert's thread's about the chassy...this guy got out of hand imo...he's never even ran or seen his product and he's an expert on it somehow.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

How long have you been running yours??
Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Tech Master

I cant believe what you find out wont work on the internet.I dont know how those cf chassis drive though they seem to go through the track the same as a normal losi,but I do stand & watch as there beat to crap on our track.I see them flat land & come up short,lawn dart & cartwheel.I flip them over when they crash right in front of me & have never ever seen one break or have any other chassis failure.I've pitted right next to them several times & their not changing parts due to wear.I have also never heard any owners bad mouth them.The only problems I hear are on this forum from expert on the other side of the world who apperently stood over their shoulders while they were making the chassis & so know exactly whats going on with those exact chassis. I tell you its amazing what you can learn on here.

As for wear how long are your alum chassis going before the rear is worn to a knife edge? At $130 I make that an average of $35 more expensive than factory alum chassis but up to $60 cheaper than some aftermarket alum chassis.Now consider the matrix part is over 100 grams lighter than stock. How much would it cost to drop 100 grams from any other car on the market. Us lowly club racers spend $60 plus on a set of tires that last maybe 4 races & almost always over $300 & up to $500+ on a motor thats not considered race ready till its worn away the pinch & you had to spend $50 in fuel to even get that far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.