R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default My experience with Caster K8T comapred to my 5T......

I am comparing my Caster K8T to my Mugen MBX5T Prospec.

I ran the 5T for 2 years. I just got it dialed in to my driving style, but still could not get the on power steering I needed to move forward and get FASTER. But none the less I loved my 5T and was getting faster and faster each race and had a lot of time on the track with it. I felt like I hit a spot where I just may not be able to get faster.

So heres how these 2 truggys compare for me. I ran the K8T with stock set up out of the box, same with 5T. I don't want to get all crazy talking set up right now.....but in 2 years with my Mugen I was doing 12 laps @5.21 on the last layout at my local track. With my K8T on the same layout( Same layout for a month and I ran the 5T on it the first week and the K8T the last 3) I lowered this to 12laps @5.01, and I crashed a few times and was very nervous. I have never done 13 laps at this track! and I was right there!!! Plus with the K8T I have found a set up that gives more on power steering then I have ever had with the K8T! It has changed my entire drivivng style now that I can power thru turns and give it gas where as before(5T) I could not. So for me the K8T has already showed me its ability to be very tuneble and have tremendous handleing. And all this with worn tires on my Caster truggy and motor issues. I know that with the 5T I was really learning setup and by time I got the K8T I had a good idea what I needed. But in the end I set both the truggys up exactly the same and there was a 20 second difference between the 2 and the Caster truggy has the on power steering I have always wanted. These 2 truggys are almost the same feel when racing, but you ask anyone that has a 5T and they will say the same thing, needs more on power steering...in the K8T I found it!
xutmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

word.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Wait till you drive a truggy that can really turn..Their is no way around the "to much caster" Caster..I have both the Mugen and the Caster in my opinion their both so close to each other. But I am running the King Headz steering plate and it does move the ackerman settings to the rear. It does get rid of a lot of the bump steer that both the Caster and Mugen have. If you put the Caster on a set up board you will see that it has about 30 degrees of caster, a Kyosho ST-RR has about 18 degrees of caster. With 30 degrees of caster their is no way that it will be agressive at far as turning goes..It will however be very stable and very smooth, and the Caster is shorter than the Mugen also, this helps the truggy rotate in the corners. I would like to see the next Caster use less caster( 20 to 24 would be good) and move the motor up just a bit..small changes would make a huge difference on the track. I hope that no one takes this as a slam on the caster, I think it's a very good truggy with a good company behind it..every truggy can be improved.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Xutmad - What do you mean "But in the end I set both the truggys up exactly the same."

How exactly did you set them both up the same?
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xutmad View Post
I am comparing my Caster K8T to my Mugen MBX5T Prospec.

I ran the 5T for 2 years. I just got it dialed in to my driving style, but still could not get the on power steering I needed to move forward and get FASTER. But none the less I loved my 5T and was getting faster and faster each race and had a lot of time on the track with it. I felt like I hit a spot where I just may not be able to get faster.

So heres how these 2 truggys compare for me. I ran the K8T with stock set up out of the box, same with 5T. I don't want to get all crazy talking set up right now.....but in 2 years with my Mugen I was doing 12 laps @5.21 on the last layout at my local track. With my K8T on the same layout( Same layout for a month and I ran the 5T on it the first week and the K8T the last 3) I lowered this to 12laps @5.01, and I crashed a few times and was very nervous. I have never done 13 laps at this track! and I was right there!!! Plus with the K8T I have found a set up that gives more on power steering then I have ever had with the K8T! It has changed my entire drivivng style now that I can power thru turns and give it gas where as before(5T) I could not. So for me the K8T has already showed me its ability to be very tuneble and have tremendous handleing. And all this with worn tires on my Caster truggy and motor issues. I know that with the 5T I was really learning setup and by time I got the K8T I had a good idea what I needed. But in the end I set both the truggys up exactly the same and there was a 20 second difference between the 2 and the Caster truggy has the on power steering I have always wanted. These 2 truggys are almost the same feel when racing, but you ask anyone that has a 5T and they will say the same thing, needs more on power steering...in the K8T I found it!
Hey man, Glad your having good luck with your truck. I had to get out of the team due to feeling I did not have the money to correctly represent them this season. So im still running Kyosho's. But its awesome your trucks doing good.

-Mikey