R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Suspended

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Which Hop Ups top buy for MBX5r

I'm new to 1/8 racing. I'm running a MBX5r brushless setup. I don't know which hop ups to buy to make it lighter and faster, besides going with a bigger motor. If you can help I would really appriciate it. Thanks
bunnell33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnell33 View Post
I'm new to 1/8 racing. I'm running a MBX5r brushless setup. I don't know which hop ups to buy to make it lighter and faster, besides going with a bigger motor. If you can help I would really appriciate it. Thanks

carbon towers ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Big Bores. Plain and simple
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Suspended

so if i run the carbon towers they wont break easier then the stock 5r ones or will they. I'm looking for the K factory chassis no luck yet
Old 01-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Tech Lord

kyosho chassy on a mugen.....huh ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 01-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
kyosho chassy on a mugen.....huh ?
K Factory is a RC hop-up manufacturer, not Kyosho.

Bunnell33:
As for the K Factory chassis, it looked good, but someone posted they bent the chassis after a few runs. Don't even try the Dragon ones either from Ebay, unless you like your car to be a taco, LOL! I think the BCE would be the best option. If you can, use the MBX6 diffs F/C/R, as they are lighter and take rotating mass of the drivetrain. Also, the AL option center driveshaft cups should fit the 5R center driveshafts. Add some BB shocks also with option Aluminum pivot balls. Those would be the best parts to try IMO, than the K Factory chassis. Weight off the drivetrain is a double gain. The drivetrain spins up faster and less overall car weight.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
Suspended

I have the alu pivot balls already. Now what weight lube do I use on the drives. I'm going to break my 2 buggies completely down and build 1 solid mbx5r for racing. I do have the dragon racing chassis on 1 of the buggies it held up to some serious crashes so far, but it's going away. I have a nice list of parts to buy next. I'm running a brushless set up with a 1900kv neu motor it seems fast, but might go a little bigger motor soon also. Thanks for the ideas all I really do appriciate it. I also the BB I'm looking at using is either the MBX6 or jammin set.

Last edited by bunnell33; 01-23-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Use the Mugen BB shocks. The Jammins used to snap the shafts at the bottom or top where the threads are. I have Dragon chassis that are tweaked after a few runs. I use them as starter box setup plates now, LOL.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Didn't know about the K factory.

And i can honestly say that ive never heard or seen a Jammin BB shock shaft fail.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Didn't know about the K factory.

And i can honestly say that ive never heard or seen a Jammin BB shock shaft fail.
Seen it alot. The shaft would snap off if you had a tumble or landed awkward. I think its because the Jammin ran the shocks leaned outwards at the top. I remember my Serpent 710 would snap shock shafts because the shock was not straight up and down and had an angle on it. Anyway, guys I knew running Jammins took them off or ran other shafts when they are retrofitted to other buggies. You do know the Jammin BB shock shafts are from Ofna 9.5 shocks.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #11
Suspended

Does any one know where I can buy the BCE chassis at since their website isn't fully done yet. My local LHS is sad.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The MBX6 spur gears are lightened. You can also buy the MBX6 aluminum sway bar ends and plastic turnbuckle pieces. When you put the MBX6 shocks on teh 5R make sure you also get the lightweight aluminum standoffs. Aluminum center diff joints like said above. Depending on run time you require you can certainly lose a ton of weight in the battery with a brushless conversion. But that's about it for lightening up the MBX5R. I also have a brushless MBX5R, brushless MBX5T and building a brushless MBX6. Not sure which mount and battery tray you are using but there is a lot of weight there. Same goes for wire and connectors in an electric car.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #13

the best hopup is to buy a 'kit' from the previous poster

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
Suspended

ok it sounds good. My battery tray has to be the lightest battery tray around LMAO. It is a Axial crawler battery tray. It has 2 velcro straps around it and velcro all the way down it also. My batteries dont move at all. It's light. I have a good list of next parts thanks so much guys.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:38 AM   #15
Suspended

well after another round of beating the hell out of my buggy the dragon racing chassis still lives for another day, but 2 drive shafts didn't LMAO. I'm getting better at driving, but not much. What diff lube weight should I use and how to figure it out? The same thing with toe in and the front degree blocks? I cant find anything on this buggy at all. HELP PLEASE. Thanks All